1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards P8-P67 PRO Dead? (was TX 750W Dead!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soviet_, 18 Jan 2011.

1. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Had it 14 months, just build my new system at the weekend too and had ironed out all the little problems I had with it. Playing Metro 2033 earlier tonight and the power just cut, wouldn't turn back on. Didn't hear a bang or pop and there wasn't any burning or smoke that I could see...

Did the old paperclip test with just a couple of fans plugged in but they wouldn't spin up, although the green boot LED was lit on my P67 PRO with the power cable plugged in, hmm.

Going to RMA it and get a replacement but I went out and bought a HX 850W anyway. I was going to upgrade the PSU so Crossfire would be safer, wish I did now because I wouldn't be messing around sorting out a new PSU and worrying if my brand new components are fried. What's the best way to check if anything has been taken with it?

Updated, see post #14

Last edited: 21 Jan 2011
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I presume you checked if it was just a fuse?

3. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Yeah I tried it with a couple of other power leads and even changed sockets but still same result.

I overclocked my 2500K to 4GHz on stock voltage and was running BurnTest with no problems the other day and I've check my rig on a PSU calculator and was getting 550W recommended on full load. Is there any way I could've broken it? I've not had a problem with a PSU before fortunately

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011
  4. rosovey

rosovey What's a Dremel?

It could well just be bad luck. There may have been an energy surge which blew it or it just may have been an unlucky faulty PSU - it happens, after all, that is why there is a warranty on it.
    It doesn't sound like anything you did would have caused the issue

5. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Well it seems the power supply decided to pass the paperclip test this morning, same plug socket and lead as last night but now the case fan spins up properly. My 850W HX was delivered this morning so I connected it up to my system but alas the same problem, no boot up but the green boot device LED is lit. Could it be the motherboard is dead?

The 750 TX was definitely not working last night, I must of tried 10 different combinations of fuses, leads and sockets and not once did it start a case fan so it is being sent back anyway. I tripled checked all the connections with the new PSU and my system, I'm sure everything is connected properly. So annoying :(

6. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Sorry to bump but anyone got any advice to isolate if the motherboard is the problem?

I've tried resetting the CMOS.
    Tried 2 PSUs, one brand new.
    Tried with one slot of RAM and no RAM.
    Shorted the power switch on the MB to see if it was the front case button.
    Taken out motherboard from case and tried it with just the CPU + fan and RAM attached.

What do you have to have connect for the PC to power up and POST?

7. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

An update to the problem. I took the motherboard, CPU and RAM to a local PC repair shop and after testing was told that most likely the board was dead. I didn't tell him what I thought the problem was so he wouldn't just confirm my fear.

After contacting Scan I was told the best option to get running faster would be to buy another board before I RMA. If it works then the board should fail any tests at Scan and I will be entitled to either a refund or replacement. In the event it isn't the board (!) I can return the new board within 7 days for a refund and I will have to do this same process with the processor I imagine. Anyway Scan have been great so far

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Sound good. Are you going for the same board again or a different manufacture?

9. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Hey, I debated whether to go with the Gigabyte P67A-UD4 but ended up getting another P67 PRO. Whilst it was working it was fantastic and it's been getting great reviews so I thought I would give it another chance.

I see you have the same CPU and board, any teething issues? I did have a multi boot problem from a cold start and my RAM wasn't detected as 1600 but clearing the CMOS fixed that

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Sit down and make yourself a cup of tea for this list :hehe:
    My first problem was it wasn't decting my ram as 1600 mhz like yourself.
    Then it only detected 4GB.
    Couldn't detect DVD drive.
    Got error messages on instalation.
    Blue screen when booting.
    Cold boot problems (still have them)
    Overclocks ailing even though there was no overclock :eyebrow:
    The USB 3.0 cable is awkward.
    The later versions of the bios fixed everything bar the cold boot issue.
    The board is a great but still the cold boot issue.
    The biggest gripe i have is what if this was 4 years ago when i started building PC's ? This sort of thing would of baffled me.
    I suppose the board has character :p
    EDIT: Read this about the cold boot problems might help. That what i'm going to do now.
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...47&board_id=1&model=P8P67 PRO&page=1&count=88

Last edited: 20 Jan 2011
  11. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Wow I thought I had it bad! Yeah it's not exactly ideal, you expect for it to work out of the box more or less. I can confirm however that the multi boot issue was resolved for me when I reset the CMOS and jumper pins and then manually set my RAM to it's correct speed and voltage.

Updating the BIOS also fixed only 4GB RAM being read :)

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Wow, looks like there's alot of teething problems with the new Asus boards. I've been speccing up a new system based on the P8P67 Pro, but i think i'll leave it for abit; looks like Asus have alot of fine tuning to do yet.

13. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I will have a go of clearing the comos later thanks for the update.

If i was doing it agin i would probally go for the UD4.Looks sexy as hell aswell :)

14. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Installed new motherboard and it actually switches on which means my old board is dead and I should be able to get a refund. Unfortunately this new board has the red cpu led on which I power up meaning either the new board is dead or the chip is dead...

Spoken to Scan and have been advised to RMA the original dead board along with my processor and memory for testing as well as RMAing the new board to see if it is OK. What a ball ache

Last edited: 21 Jan 2011
  15. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Anyone with Sandy Bridge having issues with the Gigabyte P67A-UD4? I might get one as a replacement if both P67 PRO boards have indeed failed as I really don't want any more problems with the Asus

16. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

My UD7 has been faultless. The build quality and weight of the board are also things that I have never sever seen on a mobo before. And they look effing sweet! (almost as nice as the UD7) haha.