1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other A rallying call to Bit-Tech

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 21 Jan 2011.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Hello Bit-Tech / Custom PC readers.

I want to do something that other Bit-Techers have failed to do. That is - to rally forumites to aid our cause. You see, our folding team needs as much help as possible. What is folding? It is a project that directly helps millions of people worldwide. The Folding at Home project analyses complex biological processes. The applications of this project are mind boggling - incurable diseases such as Parkinsons, Alzihemers, cancers, and many others are all affected by proteins.

At Stanford University, a competition was established. Its were teams of enthusiasts work together to tackle these challenges, to add their computational power to tackle these problems.

You can add your efforts to our team. It doesn't matter what you have on hand - whether its a laptop working part-time or a desktop working constantly, all the points matter. Don't be intimidated by our top folders points - every contribution to the science and the team helps. You can find friendly faces and advice at our folding forum if you need advice. Our team needs every additional point, and the science will benefit. Please join the Bit-Tech folding team and you will see the benefits. Folding can benefit everybody, no matter what hardware you have.

2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Been interested in the idea of folding for a while now and may get around to it in a month or two.

Tbh, I have a bit of a moral dilemma about folding - cause more harm to the environment in a bid to help humanity. As over dramatic as it sounds, I still am debating it.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm the same Ljs, hence why I only ran it while my computer was on previously
    Since coming to uni, where apparently I read that the uni gets its energy from renewable resources, I do it 24/7 :)

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Can I make a suggestion?

Include a link in your OP to the "how to join the folding team" thread and another to the folding section of the forum. It may help those who haven't browsed there before.

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

There is no reason why more people don't fold. It's quick and easy to install and easy to monitor and adjust, so I would like to help in a push to get more people to join and fold. You don't have to run it 24/7, just while you are using your PC, it all helps!

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Sorry mate, was drunk as a loon when I made the thread ;)

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Might aswell see what this 2500k can do.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thats the spirit.

10. omicron

omicron Baud.

Has distributed computing actually had any direct, measurable effect on anything yet?
    It's always seemed a bit of a fad to me. Doesnt help that BOINC is so abysmal.

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

What does is improve our understanding of how proteins interact and fold. Protein folding is key to understanding a whole myriad of diseases, especially Alzheimers and Parkinson's, but lots of others such as cancer. I believe the Stanford team have had around 80 scientific papers published based on the findings of the F@H program.

12. Cyber

Cyber What's a Dremel?

Right, downloaded and running. No downside really, except for my electrcity bills :(

13. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

If you run the standard client, it will have really have zero impact on your bills. If you run the high performance clients, that will have an impact, but thats because your doing a lot of for the team and the science.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Is this call for folders driven by a desire to cure diseases, or just improve the Bit-Tech team score?

If you pay my electricity bill, I'll fold. Simple as that.

How can the standard client have zero effect on my bills?

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Because it consumes a very small amount of CPU power.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How so? Won't it just run as fast as it runs? Can you limit it to one thread?

Hmmm... if you can convince me it will not effect performance, I will try again on the server... but any hint of shenanigans... it's coming off again.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2011
  17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I always thought that folding use's the GPU's???

18. Cyber

Cyber What's a Dremel?

I thought there's cpu and gpu clients, you can use either or both.

19. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

Just what the world needs, more scientific papers! (all recycled paper I hope!:hehe:)

Personally I did have a dedicated folding PC when i was on Custom PC Forum, for about a year, and realised that the sheer lack of knowledge and reward vs the time and money just don't work, for me! Saying that I would never discourage anyone from giving it go and pat on the back all those still going :thumb:

I love the concept, the idea of benefitting mankind but in RL there has to be a tangible reward.

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Agreed I would rather give my money to cancer research and the groups that are helping people now which I do than give it to the electric companies personly I dont see why I should pay more money in electric to do stanford uni's work for them.
    Thats just my opinion.