1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Blizzard, you annoy me

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AndyGoldie, 22 Jan 2011.

1. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

So I bought SC2 today, because I've realistically always wanted it and I thought I may as well get it today while I was in town. Got home an hour ago, installed it, fine, tried to activate code, not fine.

Of course the best thing ever, the CD code doesn't work. So now I've spent 40 minutes trying to take a half decent picture of the CD key with my mobile because I don't have a camera. Fine good, sent it away. Now I'm just waiting for a response.

*sigh*

That the rant over, now for what I actually want to know.
    Can I play SC2 single player without the CD key? (I'm still downloading patches)
    and how long does getting a response take? (I'm praying it's not more than a few hours)

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Pretty sure the single player requires active online connection, so I would guess not :(

3. AndyGoldie

[​IMG]

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The code "doesn't work"? I can't see thats Blizzard's fault really.

5. AndyGoldie

They generate the activation codes and stick 'em on the box?

6. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

They should be able to give you a new code over the phone. I bought Fable on PC a while back and had the same problem, so I called the company and they gave me a new code which worked fine, and everything was done offline because I didn't have an internet connection at the time. I think all the codes are pre-generated to the disc, so they can just give you a new one. However...different company and differnet time, so it may be different.

7. AndyGoldie

Sorry, probably should of mentioned this. Yeah I did phone them but the guy I talked to just said that I had to do it via email as they have to see my receipt and code.

I didn't actually mind doing that, I just wish they would hurry up and get back to me. The fact they locked single player to having to be online is a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No, this isn't the case.

Like a lot of games these days you have to log into the system and validate it once, but after that the game works fine in offline Singleplayer and you can save your progress, move through the campaign etc just fine without being online - Albeit without achievement-tracking.

Without an active connection you simply 'log into' the game as a guest and play the game that way, though the validation expires every 30 days; necessitating an online log-in to re-authenticate.
    Either way, the game does not need a constant connection, it's closer to Steam than Ubisoft DRM.

9. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

thats odd, and it sucks :(

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Ah okay doesn't need online connection but still needs that first-time activation, which he can't do as he has no key :( Knickers :(

11. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

What a ridiculous policy, lets really, really, really inconvenience our customers and yet deter piracy of the game by... umm... zero percent!

12. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

I know this could be a stupid question, but did you try changing "Z" for "2", or "G" for "6" or "S" for "5", this happened with me when I realized I ahd put a "5" instead of "S"

13. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Honestly, if anything it actually increased the piracy of the game. I've heard of a few people cracking game security just to give the company in question the solid two finger salute.

Personally what I can't understand is why Blizzard didn't follow the its WoW system for Starcraft 2: that is, game can be downloaded for free off of web site - go to on line store (or where ever) and buy key on line, and only if you want, you can buy the game physically.

Honestly - this is the best "DRM" out there. Yes true, being online while you play a single player game is a bit irritating, but considering the alternatives that are out there currently - far better than any of the others.

/2cents

14. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

When you sent the e-mail did you get like a response and a number? If so phone them and say hey, check 'whatever number' and sort it out.

If not and you wanna play single player you should be able to use guest passes (which last for 7 hours) to play the singleplayer.

To the post above, you can buy digital copies of the game from blizzard. But I believe you need an account first with the game to download it.

15. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Indeed, the farce with Spore can't have been forgotten that quickly surely?

16. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

I have never heard of a code not working! Strange stuff indeed - maybe get a trial code of a friend till they sort the full code out?

Once activated you can play in offline mode- not that this will help you! :s

17. obbawobba

obbawobba What's a Dremel?

how bizarre. I've never heard of that happening before. I wonder what kink in the system caused it? Anyway, that does suck but I'm sure blizz will give you a new code soon.

18. skipperoo

skipperoo What's a Dremel?

It's ironic that things like this happening because of their "anti-piracy measures" actually increase the rates of piracy. Are companies really this blind or just stubborn?

19. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

Good 'ol DRM, making gameplay a pain in the ass for legitimate gamers.

Online activation is a pretty common these days, so it's understandable really.