1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Woow nice tubing management. I like the black and red colors. It's going very well, keep the good work :dremel:

EDIT : Today work - Main chamber tubing and modelling of an EK parallel triple bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see on the next three pictures, I lowered the main chamber tray in order to bend cables. Since I had some free space underneath the motherboard, at least I won't have to make the case any taller :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jan 2011
  2. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

@ Guille thanks fella, loving your case and the triple bridge looks awsome!

any opinions on mine ???

TBH Im a bit dissapointed with my design, the only thing that stands out is the rad's and tidy tubing :sigh:

Its a long the lines of what I wanted, with excellent cable management and clean loops but Im not happy and would love any suggestions

thanks guys and mod on :dremel:

3. GuilleAcoustic

Hey, you shouldn't be dissapointed. I think you did well. Your tubing and cable management are awesome.

Did you plan to add something on the bottom of the case ? You still have place there, maybe you should add a meshed bottom to place a rad ?

Or, it's an idea that only involves me, but could a mini-itx card fit down there ? I'd add a small mini-itx with a linux and some hdd's (file server :D)

zukomonitor likes this.
  4. zukomonitor

:thumb:

Ive been thinking how to utilise the space below the mobo and you have just re-ignited my mojo :D

whatever happens down there Im hoping to put up pics soon, actually detailing the cable management etc.

cheers Guille :thumb: + rep for my mojo lol

EDIT: and I need to do some case feet!

5. GuilleAcoustic

You're welcome, happy to help :). Yeah, feet are good and add something to the look.

I made all the tubing (finally). Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zukomonitor

Looking great, are you sticking to black and white for the colour scheme? I hope so, it looks the business :D

Just one thing you may want to look at - the fill ports. it looks like any spills would go straight into the I/O area.
    I dont know watercooling so it might not be an issue if people use those big syringes, but maybe just a 'lip' behind the fill ports for peice of mind :rock:

7. zukomonitor

pic regarding Guille's idea :D

will easily fit some sort of pc based router/firewall/server in the bottom with room for a few hdd's

[​IMG]

ventilation from front of case (done quickly to convey idea)

[​IMG]

if a pc in a pc isnt your thing then you could put upto a 240 rad in the bottom for chipset cooling....

8. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

@zukomonitor:

While the concept is interesting I'm concerned about air turbulence noise. Also I think you need to entirely re-work the layout of the front and main compartments. Currently there lots of redundant space and your pumps seem to be sitting in the HDD cage area.

Of the top of my head I'd move the PSU back into the conventional position at the lower back of the case, extend the whole drive assembly and provide a compartment for the pumps (bearing in mind the size of a D5 with top) with a clear route for tubing from the res's around the drive cages. That should also free up some space to go back to a tube res.

@GuilleAcoustic:

Wow. :baby: I like that you've widened the window so you can better see the innards. Feels like it needs something more though. Maybe some kind of accent on the sides as they look a little plain?

Have you given given much though to cable routing holes yet? Would you have cables go though to the rear or up through the bottom of the main chamber (or options for both)?

I cant help but feel that something could be done with the area between the motherboard and bottom fans. Probably best to keep it simple though.

9. zukomonitor

all input greatly recieved :D

air turbulence noise from where? there shouldnt be anymore noise from the rads (than normal) and then there is three case fans - low speed, silent, just to move air through the case.

the pumps have there own space, Im not sure what you mean pal ??? there is a hdd bay next to the pumps (4 hdds) this can be taken out of the pc while all wires are still attached and only taking one side panel off - my case at the mo, I have to take both side panels off unclip the wires from one side then on the other side pull out the plastic hdd holder then take the hdd out of that......

its all about ease (thats the idea anyway lol)..... the space will only be redundant until you want/ need to use it.

Just checked - there is 3 places you could put 2x D5 pumps, 1 is the same location and the other two are in the mobo compartment which would allow another hard drive caddy - that would be 8 hdds + 4 ssd's. something like the EK D5 dual top would make it even easier to fit these bad boys!

Im sort of trying to say where im coming from, without knowing where your coming from lol please could you elaborate on what you mean.

Cheers, much appreciated (I need all the help I can get :eeek:)

p.s its late and I'm tired, so if the above doesnt make sense, just say lol - off to bed now

10. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

5 days left and I still got a lot to do :wallbash:

The way it's evolving :
    [​IMG]

Great designs everyone :rock:

11. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Maybe I'm overreacting about the turbulence but you do have two streams of air meeting each other at 90'. Be interesting to see a smoke machine run through one side.

What I'm trying to get at is that the space could be much better utilised without compromising on the ease of use or your vision for the upper section and fascia. Currently if I were to go for what is essentially a double wide design I'd much rather Razer2007's.

Having at the PSU at the front only really shaves a few CM of the hight while requiring a kettle lead pass-through, an additional side vent, and awkwardly splitting the two volumes at the front and bottom.

If you are dead set on keeping it that way I'd move the pumps out of the front and into the bottom area, then provide two tubing bulkheads either side of the 5.25" drives. That would allow the use of both HDD cages.

12. zukomonitor

Im hoping for better airflow with the design - Ive taken the idea from a factual instance but noise was not an issue in that purpose (its hard to describe) will have to see on that one - do you know what the noise is like when people put rad's almost back to back but have the exhaust above? Ive never heard it, but imagine the V design wouldnt be as loud...... ???

I see what you mean with double width, heres the obligatory TJ07 comparison

[​IMG]

Really appreciate your thoughts :thumb: - will be back soon with some updates :D

cheers

13. zukomonitor

I know what you mean arrrrrgggggh!

I dont think Ive seen any pics of the toolbox, can I have a see :D

your case looks good, nice 1. :thumb:

14. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

In a minute , I'm in a fight with some sketchup tubes :wallbash: :D

Here it is ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jan 2011
  15. zukomonitor

Haha I had the exact same fight lol and Im still not sure who won :eeek:

Thats a teaser shot right there :D

16. GuilleAcoustic

Here is a small updated size comparison side by side with the TJ07 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the compliments. Here is a first try about what I had in mind for cable routing and "use" of the space between mobo and bottom fans.

The panel is made of 2 pieces attached with thumb screw. I prefered 2 pieces over a single one in case of long video card that could cover the upper one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Jan 2011
  17. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Colossal case, and heavily awesome!

18. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

guile - Wow, your design is really coming through, I like the window design, it kind of "advertises" what is inside and makes you want to open the case and see the rest, good job! p.s. - has your case gotten larger?

labrego - you have some very nice details in your design, a question I have is whether or not you intend for the final case to have the generic labels/icons on the outside? are these just temporary so you can work through the design?

zuko - don't get discouraged! just keep working through the questions and suggestions and you will get it all sorted, you have an interesting idea with the V setup, the questions around use of space are difficult for all of us....

I know I keep saying I will get more pics up, but sketchup is really hindering me, I have been using solidworks since 1998, so trying to wrap my head around the details of sketchup and working only with surfaces has been a challenge. A major headache has been the fact that sketchup is by nature "fuzzy", I think it is because of the self-optimizing tesselation. You can make a change in one place, and when you look at the other end of the component a whole face has disappeared, because it no longer "works" with the rest of the polys making up a particular surface. - blech-

Anyway, the case itself is almost complete, and I will have pics up later tonight with the hardware I already have assembled. Then I hope to complete the wire and tube routing along with brackets tomorrow. And if I am really lucky I will have the smaller version done sometime Friday night ( crossing my fingers ).

19. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I know. that is super annoying. With you funny concept I can just Imagine the crap you gotta go through.

20. GuilleAcoustic

Yes, I unfortunatly had to grow the size up by 20mm in both width and depth in order to fit EK bridges ... nice observation :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.