1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Help from any U2410 owners

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quirkalfeeg, 27 Jan 2011.

1. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

Hi,

So I've just got the new A05 rev of this monitor which apparently is really a rev02...

From the dell forum:

"The A05s your seeing in other regions were given that number change due to non-hardware related changes made at the factories in those regions. The latest hardware revision is A02"

Anyways, I can't say I'm blown away with the colour settings out of the box..

Standard is waaaaay over saturated and slightly red
    Gaming burns out my retina's
    Warm and cool are ridiculously red and blue respectively (why are these even on this monitor?)
    sRGB looks the best with a slight green cast which I think is normal for this?
    aRGB is similar to sRGB but more saturated which again is normal I think..

I think I'll need to just set up a custom preset to get things as I like them.

I don't have a hardware colorimeter so it will just be by eye..

So are these presets in keeping with your own U2410's?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think aRGB is AdobeRGB. at least i got same options on my U2711, except it says AdobeRGB instead of aRGB.

use sRGB and after a while, it'd be normal for you :) i think greens are supposed to be like that, it makes plants jump out and look brilliant.

3. quirkalfeeg

Yup,

Sorry, I shortened it to aRGB for speed :)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

All your description is correct.
    If you don't need absolute color accuracy and want Adobe RGB but without the green'ish add. Attach a second computer with the same graphic card BRAND (Nvidia on both, for example), and one set the main computer to Custom, and the other one to Adobe RGB.
    Perform a picture-in-picture side-by side, showing both sources side by side. (the non-main computer should be in the purple box surrounding the source. Now you can compare and adjust the Custom profile to match with different colors and pictures.

5. quirkalfeeg

Cheers GoodBytes - good idea about the PIP. So your model pretty much behaved in the same manner?

6. GoodBytes

I have the late A00 and A04 (A04 has the deterring issue, like the A00). I tried to exchange i 3 times.. but always ended up with A04. So anyway.. I did like the A00, which is like I said on my post. It takes time, but you get great colors at a non-professional level.

If you can't match the same white, reduce the contrast by 1 or 2. It should make the white perfect, and provide 0 impact on your image (well, at a non professional level of course).

Both the monitors I have have the same calibration result.

7. quirkalfeeg

Sorry if this is stupid but...what's the deterring issue? I don't want to read anymore bad things about this monitor today :) I stupidly went over to the Dell forums where there was alot of people complaining about tinting etc etc

8. GoodBytes

Look at the dates.
    The tint issue was LG (the actual manufacture of the panel) that was having issue in producing the early batch of the panel used in the monitor. This only affected the early A00 revision. Since the late A00 revision, the problem is solved, this includes the several back light bleeding that some reviewers noticed (those who did not, have the late build).

In other words, this monitor that a very bumpy start, but since late revision A00 and especially at A01, all problems where solved. But the dithering issue seams to have come back in the A04. As I found Adobe RGB a bit to green for gaming environmental and when I plug my Wii and stuff, I use Custom profile as mentioned, basically matching Adobe RGB and reduce the green a few points less. So it doesn't bother me.

Dell has a full recall put in place if you have the dithering issue.. but what bothers me, is that you don't get a new monitor, you get a refurbished one.. someone else screen or a returned one that the firmware was updated. So you might get dead pixels returns.

What is the dithering issue:
    It is when you are SUPPOSED to get a flat color, like a flat dark gray (1 color used), but it looks like a texture instead where several grays are used. You can see it when you are up close to the monitor. I want to show you a picture, but I am on my laptop.. when I google image search for a picture, I don't see the problem to provide a good picture as my laptop (like all laptops) has a TN panel, so it looks like a flat color gray, which, based on the website comment, is supposed to "clearly" show the error. lol.

Here is an exaggeration picture, so that it shows super clearly the problem (The U2410 only has the problem on the dark gray colors, not green like bellow.)

Original:
    [​IMG]

Dithering (what you see on the screen):
    [​IMG]

9. biFFon

biFFon What's a Dremel?

I bought a U2410 with A02 about 2 months ago.

Apart from being far too bright out the box I've found the standard and gaming settings pretty spot on. Quite happy about my choice!!

10. GoodBytes

Yes it's a very bright screen :)
    It's good, as CFL lamp reduce brightness over time (after several years), so you can compensate, especially if you plan to to keep the monitor for a long time.

11. quirkalfeeg

Thanks for the replies...Just to upate now I have had a bit of time to give the panel the once over. I seem to have nice bright whites at the top, which then fade off to more subdued duller whites at the bottom which is pretty noticeable on white web pages...

I will take some pics and send them off to the Dell forum but it's not a great feeling knowing how much ****ery has gone down with these panels.. I also have a much brighter lower right corner of the screen when viewing a black image. I don't know if I'm being too picky as the Dell `lottery` might give me a worse panel back, after reading what alot of people have gone through what with sending back multiple panels....sigh.

Any other people with similar problems/observations?

Thanks..

12. GoodBytes

Can you post the picture here as well.

The monitor does not have a uniform back light, if that is you wonder. So it's normal that the back light is not even everywhere... (unless you ready to cash out several thousand of dollar for a 22inch or something) but it should not the make a gradient effect.
    If it does, then probably one of the CFL lamps (I assume they are several) is busted.

13. quirkalfeeg

GoodBytes - here are the pics:

So you have a pure black, grey and white picture, a webpage and a cropped version of the webpage which really shows up the problem. Its a bit hard to see the dirty gradient but it's there and quite evident on the cropped picture.

So what I'm seeing now is a nice white at the top of the screen with it progressively getting more dirty/yellow at the bottom. Not good.

I know it isn't a `professional` screen but it is meant to be a premium one and surely you should expect a fairly uniform display (within acceptable limits) when your paying £450. Unfortunately, this is kind of a deal breaker as I will be using this for graphics work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

You could always get a refund and get a HP ZR24W like mine, we have a backlight glow issue :thumb:

15. GoodBytes

Call Dell so that they send you a replacement monitor. Dell will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label, so that you can return the broken monitor to them for free.

Once you receive your new monitor, you can put the old one on the same box.
    IMPORTANT: On the return box, be sure to put the calibration report of the broken monitor.

16. quirkalfeeg

I thought you were going to tell me to stop being so picky..so you think it's knackered? I think I'm going to ask for a refund though I didn't buy with Dell but Aria, though Dell honours the warranty...

17. GoodBytes

Ok.

Well I don't know if it's your camera or not... I assume not.. as you notice the problem greatly.
    Better be sure, then be dissatisfied and always wonder. It's normal that the corners are darker (like all sub-1k LCD's), but the bottom... (and not the absolute last 5/10px) I don't see it on my screen.

18. quirkalfeeg

Upate:

After calling Dell, they can't offer me a replacement due to the fact that Aria purchased the monitor from them in September - Dell can only offer me a refurb.

After calling Aria, they said they could replace it but it will most likely happen next week and I won't be around so have requested a refund. All parties were helpful and polite but I can't help feeling a little stitched up over the warranty..

My only fear now is that that won't see the issues I can see...I do professional graphics so I might (??) have a more discerning eye than the average person but heres hoping...

19. GoodBytes

It won't go under investigation, your return.. Well Dell does not.