1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Bärsärkar-gång, 25th December, no update; Every Who down in Whoville says...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mach, 31 Jan 2010.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Always with the new stuffz! That Sugru stuff would be neat to make a mouse finally fit my hand. Nice.

john

2. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

I think its nylon or polyester...at least, it melts like it.

Me too :)

Definitely feels experiment-y at times :) Just doing my part sir!

I'd imagine it be pretty good for a grip or tweaking a mouse.

A placeholder for later :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

...smallest smoker I've ever seen.

4. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Opps! Man, lost touch with this for a bit.:( ... Looks "GREAT":thumb: ... smallest smoker ... smoking what :naughty: LOL :D

5. dralix

dralix What's a Dremel?

first time i see this one, but is awsome!

6. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks Dralix!

And no it's not a smoker, read on, read on!

------

Time is a slippery thing. Sorry for leaving you guys hanging. Work has been a monster since my last post. 2010 is slated to go to down as the weirdest job year ever. Not sure what's going on but I'm hoping 2011 is a little more relaxed.

But on to more mod related topics, Santa came a little early. My new modding ruler from MNPCtech ($29.99+S&H)
    [​IMG]

Back to where I left you, Scalecoat brass train model paint. This is supposed to be the shiznit for brass painting. I cringe to think what's in it.
    [​IMG]

My outdoor airbrush studio. The scalecoat has some nasty fumes so I only spray outside which leaves me at the mercy of the weather.
    [​IMG]

This is my paint curing oven.
    [​IMG]

2 paint cans taped together with foil tape and a 75W bulb in the bottom holds it a a constant 150-170 degrees. I can vary it by wrapping the outside in a towel.
    [​IMG]

The meter repainted for version 2. The baked scalecoat is very niiice but very durable.
    [​IMG]

There's no way I can distress it after painting and make it look good. Back to the masking idea and waiting on the weather in my paint studio to cooperate.
    [​IMG]

Til then assembling Christmas presents. Anybody got plans for a 1:10 scale grinch sleigh. :idea:

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower
    [​IMG]
    Galaxy
    [​IMG]
    HardwareLabs
    [​IMG]

7. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

One of the best mods I've seen. :jawdrop:

8. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks awadon!

Yes the zombie worklog is back. :) Modding has very much been on the back burner. Real life, specifically work, has consumed most of the modding time.

I had been working on the meter painting but haven't much too show except for repeated fail. I must have stripped and re-painted the meter case 5 or 6 times. I also tried patina wax, liver of sulfur, and Brass Black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried it so many times that the combination of ph Down and peroxide that I was using to remove the oxidation and put tooth on the brass started to etch the detail away after repeated dips.
    [​IMG]

So I took it as the opportunity to fix a couple of problems with the original face like the solder mess around the bezel. Unfortunately, it took a couple of tries. :) I tried electrolytic etching with copper sulfate as well as Sodium Bisfulate and peroxide but found the best etch was consistently with peroxide and muriatic acid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The press and peel blue really gave me grief this time around but the addition of laminator soon fixed that too. This is a Royal Superguard Laminator Plus model. A little modding makes it perfect for etching PCB and brass sheet.
    [​IMG]

Opening up the laminator, see the resistor? A quarter turn there and the laminator heats up to 200F and works wonders for getting a good transfer after about 5 passes through.
    [​IMG]

The laminator also came in handy for another part of the project: the case wiring. This is the bread boarding that I've been doing. Its a continual work in progress as I'm learning about circuits and programming the Arduino.
    [​IMG]

What's all that do? Controls the lights and sounds in the case first. Also outputs reading to the meter including the water temperature sensor that goes in the reservoir. (no nothing is hooked up in this shot)
    [​IMG]

It'll make more sense when I shoot some video of it working. This is the BlinkM Maxm being triggered off the motion sensor. Like I said it'll make more sense with video.
    [​IMG]

Here's the first version of the control PCB (and my first PCB, homemade or otherwise). The laminator and press and peel blue worked beautifully.
    [​IMG]

But the case said redesign for size. Here's the second version (pre-etching). See how the toner transfer held up? Only a few small touchups.
    [​IMG]

And after etching and drilling. The black was done using fabric dye.
    [​IMG]

I've still got a lot to learn on using Eagle (still have a lot to learn period) and designing circuits but I've got a new inspiration on that front. Check this out. This is a circuit board for a Nixie clock designed by a gentleman in Hong Kong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently discovered Nixie tubes, at least their modding potential. If the US government ever decides to allow mail in from western Europe, I hope to have something to show you. Let's call it another experiment in modding. :)

But that's for another day, here's the circuit board mounted on the base of the case. I put a piece of black styrene on the back side to avoid any shorts.
    [​IMG]
    This will be where all the non-essential wiring terminates.

Up next is the case wiring and sleeving. Anyone ever experimented with using para-cord for sleeving?
    [​IMG]

To bring this all full circle, the meter. So today the weather finally cooperated for another try at the meter. Instead of trying to paint and then weather it, I'm doing it in stages. The first stage is the chipped paint on the meter case using this technique.
    http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide...lt-weathering/

Masked for painting
    [​IMG]

Margarita salt applied using a paint brush and water
    [​IMG]

Airbrush treatment and an hour baking session in the the paint oven. Chipped paint effect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is to paint the face using a very small brush. Here's the new bezel in place. Instead of soldering it, I made the bezel so it won't fall through once its mounted.
    [​IMG]

Waiting on brass parts to start on the water blocks again. Til then thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower
    [​IMG]

Galaxy
    [​IMG]

HardwareLabs
    [​IMG]

Monsta, Waynio and Javerh like this.
  9. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Your etching is brilliant! I can't wait to see what you do with the nixie-tubes.

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Mach, I really dont know what to say about your job, this is the most impressive modding I ve ever seen, I wish they will allow mail to come from wester Europe, I wish you to mod for ever, I wish you mooooooore free time so you wont stop messing with my jaw!!! Brother you are a hell of a modder just keep on modding!!!!

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I don't know how in the world you're figuring out all of this detailed stuff. Simply incredible.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, wow, man...
    First: I used a trick in modeling to remove paint on everything but the cracks- I'd use a piece of vellum paper soaked in paint thinner. (Apologies if I already mentioned that...)

That is what drives me crazy about the east-west language barrier. There's some crazy-awesome builders in Asia we've never heard about.:(

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah I'm certain there must be some unthinkably awesome stuff made across the language barriers, filimon a good example, no text but mad crazy awesome modding, you too Mach :D but we get text with yours :clap::thumb:.

Slowly but surely turning out amazing mate :jawdrop::thumb:. +rep for doing it right & taking your time :D.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2011
  14. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks Javerh! Me too :) It will be another learning adventure to be sure.

Thanks man, and an equal measure of modding well wishes back at you!:thumb:

Thanks voigts, its really just time and googling around. It all starts with the question "I wonder how hard that would be?" :)

Thanks Cheaps! No, not sure you did mention the trick but I'm always interested in something new. Share it up!

And I know what you mean, the guys that mod in their kitchen with hardware store finds amaze me. Remember the guy who made the satellite mod out of the 5 gallon bucket. :jawdrop: The circuit boards on the nixie clock just melted my brain when I saw it.

Heh, heh, thanks Waynio! Filimon's worklogs are exceedingly unique. He's one of the few modders that I've ever seen pull off a pure pictorial one. His Claudia Unit mod is one that made the gears start turning on what a worklog is.

15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Niice sleeving! :p
    [​IMG]

16. odiliaboeso

odiliaboeso What's a Dremel?

You do a great job, the parts are all looking very cool. The detail work is excellent. And the post is very informative.

----------------
    Auto Traffic Hijack

Last edited: 17 Feb 2011
  17. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thank you odiliaboeso! More soon.

18. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

Beautiful work and those bitspower fittings is the sex! :)

19. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks Hannes! Agreed the brass fittings were a sweet bit of unobtanium. The thanks goes to Vincent at Bitspower.

20. Mataten

Mataten What's a Dremel?

Because of you Mach I have to register on this forum to salute your work. It´s so impressive and neat in its all small details. Really a great work and absolutely the best modding I ever have seen. I will follow your progress further on starting to day(night here right now).
    Keep it up.