1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Intel Recalling SandyBridge Chipsets (P67/H67)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 31 Jan 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I thought I read that they wouldn't be able to get boards out till mid feb, and full production back until april?

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

So do the companies cover Shipping. I ordered from SCAN, Shipping will be 30 euro to Ireland :sigh:

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

This is exactly why I don't like to be an early adopter. Bad times for people with their brand new systems having to be stripped down to have their motherboard recalled.

Maybe this will dent peoples confidence in Intel and AMD might be able to really start shifting some serious units to get back a bigger market share. I assume OEMS will be paying especially close attention to this.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, I mean, almost a month without full production of your new line of stuff?
    That's got to affect it in a big way

5. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

What a cock up, its a good job intel are minted, I imagine they will fully cover return shipping, but I would have thought the board manufacturer would handle the return not the retailer

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I just love one of the comments @ slashdot:

Turns out they violated a Microsoft Patent

They patented slowly degrading performance over time many years ago. It's a key feature built into Windows.

Yeah, I reckon customer > retailer > m/b manufacturer > Intel. Hence my question earlier as to who reimburses the retailer.

7. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Looking on the bright side...

... at least anyone on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a new rig purchase will have to wait for a couple of months, and in the meantime new hardware for disks and who-knows-what else will become available. So the enforced wait might allow some to build a better/cheaper rig?

8. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

Buyer guide to be delayed until April?:D

9. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

As far as the consumer is concerned, the costs should be born by the retailer for return, this may be in the form of a reimbursement though. The retailer will have to get their costs back from the supplier/insurer and so on until it reaches Intel. The board manufacturers probably will work a recall directly but you should be able to do it through the retailer as well.

Sucks though, just ordered a P8P67 Pro :grr:

10. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Why aren't sites like Scan/OcUK not pulling off their P67/H67 motherboards from their listings? What if I was to order a H67 motherboard next week, would it be allowed through and come with the defect Intel mentions?

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Doesn't seem like that huge of an issue. Performance degradation with SATA ports, not damage to drives or complete SATA failure, right? Press release doesn't really clarify - it mostly talks about financial reprecussions and tries to make us feel better by saying that most of the Core i3/i5/i7 stuff is unaffected, Nehalem is fine, it's just SB which has only been out a few weeks. Still no problems at all with my UD4. I'm glad I got it when I did, though, if they are going to stop shipping out boards. I was gaming on my HTPC after selling my main rig to upgrade, and waiting til April would probably end with me getting a i5-760 and P55 rig. Better to have my Sandy for three months, then wait a month for RMA, than to not have Sandy at all for four months.

Hopefully this will be handled in a manner without too much downtime. I've RMA'ed stuff before and had it take like a month. Would suck to be down my main rig for that long. Maybe the new UD4 will have EFI, though. That would be slick.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Probably because they haven't heard about it yet. Given how quickly this was announced, it doesn't sound like anyone got forewarned. The issue doesn't appear to have raised it's head with end users yet or else we would of heard about problems.

I would expect to see something from the retailers shortly but give them time to sort themselves out - they probably know as much as we do at most.

I seriously doubt that any consumer would be out of pocket, it is just the time it will take that will annoy most.

13. ak_2020

ak_2020 Minimodder

Wow, after how good Sandy Bridge seemed to be going, this is a real kick in the teeth for Intel. Just goes to show the advantages to not jumping on the latest hardware at launch, regardless of how nice and shiny it looks.

14. logicmike

logicmike What's a Dremel?

Wow thats a shot out of the blue, thought they would have had problems sorted out before they launched, not good

15. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

16. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

WHAT!

Is this silicon problem going to appear quick or is this a problem I won't encounter for like 3 months/longer. Or will it happen tomorrow!

Surely if people have started to notice the people who were reviewing them would of noticed. Didn't they have them at least a month if not 2 before the NDA was over.

I received a GigaByte UD4 today! and have just finished installing Windows, Literally.

So when will I have to send the board back?, will I have to wait a month or so till the new ones are manuf and then sent out to retailers then send it back or will i be sending it back and waiting a long time for a new one to arrive.

I bought it from Scan.

Personally I think I should be allowed to keep this one until my new one arrives then send back the old one.

Jesus i thought it was a miracle that i hadn't blown anything when i was installing the components lol.

Just my luck.

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

From Ars Technica's news article on the issue:
    (My emphasis)
    So it's actually not as bad for the consumer as the 680i debacle was, but still a pain in the ass.

Would be nice to see some numbers as to just how significant the performance impact actually is.
    Are those people who are using off-board RAID cards for SATA I/O unaffected by this, or does the chipset's involvement in the PCI-E bus make the issue unavoidable?

18. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Never buy the first model of a motorcycle/car etc always buy a later revised version....for this reason.

19. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

2012?:)

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The $300m figure mentioned in the original press release is the revenue hit due to shutting down and restarting production. This has to be added to the estimate $700m cost of replacing the chips already out there (with manufacturers as well as consumers).

That revenue hit is only in this quarter but Intel don't expect the full year revenue to be affected too much! Jeez this company makes too much money!

$1 billion!

Wow!

Intel shares were suspended at 14.56pm GMT, just 26 minutes after trading opened, and restarted at 15.20pm GMT.

"In a conference call on Monday, Intel vice president Steve Smith said that, given the nature of the Cougar Point bug, the company believes the issue would have been rarely encountered.

"This is a degradation of a statistical nature," Smith said. "A few percent, in single figures, may degrade over the three-year lifetime of a notebook."

Smith said that the chips had passed all of Intel's and its customers' functional tests, but some of the more than 100,000 samples that the company had shipped were returned with the fault late in January.

"Once we understood the issue, it took a few more days to characterise it. We concluded our analysis last night and decided to put shipments on hold as of this morning," he said."

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/process...ll-after-sandy-bridge-bug-laid-bare-40091621/