1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sandy Bridge chipset flaw halts board shipments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Feb 2011.

1. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Wait for a recall??
    Now it is out in the public domain that the chipsets are faulty I would advise everyone in the UK who has one of the affected motherboards to return it to the supplier using the relevant consumer law (Sale of Goods Act) and request a full refund.

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

instead of 300 mil dollar to reclaim the boards. Why not give away pcie sata cards. Much cheaper solution

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's Apple's way of half-arsed fixing thoughs.

also, don't forget rubber bumpers to cover up the SATA ports in question.

4. Metwinge

Metwinge What's a Dremel?

Ofc i could but i think the problem is minor as on my blu ray drive is using the 3gb sata and i need a computer so im happy to wait.

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

*phew* and I was going to upgrade this month! Will wait now until it is all resolved. This will definatly effect people who are "horders" and use more than 2 HDs, like me, so not everyone will need a replacement. Although it is a bit surprising that this has happened and the fauly not only slipped passed Intel but also the MB manufacturers, hhhmmm so much for quality control!!

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Not great news for Intel, somewhat craps on the launch of some fantastic chips.

7. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

haha id not like to be in his shoes xd

SB seems by far the best system out there. With a fix, I'm most likely to upgrade to it. From what Ive read, it's important to realize exactly what the issue is. Anandtech summed it up well:

Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 0 & 1 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

If they put a too-thin gate on a relatively unimportant transistor like this one, you do have to wonder how the rest of the gates will hold up.
    Then again gate thickness has been on the cutting edge for decades, and so far it worked out fine.

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

This is huge! Bold move going public, even before reading the anandtech article I guessed this must have something to do with high leakage from the symtoms, problem is a flaw like this was always just a matter of time as dies get smaller and transistors need to be more complex.

10. red4our

red4our ¿Qué es un Dremel?

Uhhm, Spanish e-tailers are still happy to sell you a board. They either haven't picked up on this or haven't been advised to stop selling these boards for the time being by the manufacturers. Perhaps mañana! This could get a bit messy.

11. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

ROFL at Intel. X58 all the way until X68... in 4thQ of 2011.

12. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

FUUUUUUUUU

I just got a full SB system plumbed in yesterday with dual loops.

Oddly my 1TB drive was giving off a noise which I thought was the click of death -- connected it to a 3Gbps port and it stopped and appears to be OK, though I've not had chance to do any more in depth investigation. SMART info appears to be OK, though I've read that this isn't necessarily a definitive indicator.

I think I can live using 6Gbps only -- I'll maybe try the drive in another 6Gbps port (I believe the P8P67 has more than one 6Gbps controller)

Schaedenfraude, anyone?

13. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

I think i will register my board with Gigabyte an await their response. It has a years warranty anyway. If i return it, i have a 2500k that i cannot use . .

14. flipman

flipman What's a Dremel?

well in 3 years time i will have the newest board by then i upgrade every year so i dont see myself returning my board back to gigabyte i love the performance of sandy bridge over my pre built that was a core 2 quad system that had problems of its own :)

15. ADJB

ADJB What's a Dremel?

16. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Undervolt the PCH to 0.75-0.95, not a guaranteed fix but is stable and should .
    Use the SATA III rather than the Intel SATA II ports.
    Set up a back up and you should be OK.

17. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

*should last longer*

18. DC74

DC74 Doh!

Oh well the month or so i'll have to wait to rebuild my system should see an extra £150 for my rebuild pot, guess i'll be going i7 instead of the i5 then.

19. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

-Double post-

20. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

Goddamnit - the one time I'm an early adopter of anything even vagely silicon related, and this happens. I wonder if that's why my motherboard wouldn't recognise my HDD at first...

I noticed that when I first built my SB system, although mine was on a 6Gbps port.

Tags: Add Tags