1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Intel Recalling SandyBridge Chipsets (P67/H67)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 31 Jan 2011.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i dont see why this is such a huge ordeal. i received my p67 motherboard the same day the recall was announced, but it hasnt changed my opinion and it wouldnt have changed my decisions had it been announced in time.

the boards are still 100% usable (including the 3gb/s sata ports), and will continue to be for months. even before theres any degradation in performance, the updated parts will be out and itll be a simple matter of RMAing the board. this is a minor inconvenience for the end user and nothing more.

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It doesn't matter, since you'll have RMA'd the board and received a fixed replacement in 2 months time.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

3. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

I think that's my problem, I don't want to build it then have to take it apart, RMA and install for nothing really. I don't mind fiddling around to add something new but it seems a bit of a pain to do all this.

I was kinda hoping someone who tell me there was a board with just 6gb ports :)

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

couldnt have put it better my-self, i received my p8h67-m pro today knowing whats been going and i still didnt cancel my order yesterday and just think when our boards do get recalled, we get a nice shinny new replacement with a fresh warantee, as far as i can see we dont actually lose out in the short term what-so-ever as even before we are likely to see problems we'll be recieving new boards.
    its a very minor inconvenience at worst

5. chrismarkham1982

how many drives will you be installing?

6. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

2 harddrive, 1 solid state and a optical.

7. chrismarkham1982

ok well that blows what i was gonna say then lol, the only inconvenience you'll find is having to instal a new mobo in a little while, just make sure you get the same motherboard and take note of what ports you instal your drives on and make sure you put them on the same ports on your new mobo, i can understand anyone who might not be happy about this but whats done and their not sweeping it under the carpet hoping it will all go away lol.
    you wont get any problems as your board will most likely be replaced before anything can manifest.

edit: doubt there will be a mobo with just sata6gbps ports as the h67/p67 chipsets only support 2 ports of that type which is bit s*** if you ask me.

8. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Cheers, I'll try to resistance my natural impulse buying tenancies.

9. chrismarkham1982

if you can wait then wait, if you cant then go for it:thumb:

10. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

They better be offering us Z68 boards as an act of good will! not happy! :sigh:

Did anyone get theirs from ebuyer? I've just sent them an enote asking how they are going to approach it.

11. lil chris

lil chris What's a Dremel?

recall sandybridge

Use the two 6Gb/s ports for your hardrives and leave your dvd's as they are,they wont be affected as much as your hardrives.I'm ok my Asus P8P67 has two Intel 6Gb/s ports + two Marvell 6Gb/s ports,and you never know we might get offered the Z68 boards yet as replacements.

12. chrismarkham1982

z68 replacement.......prob not gonna happen but would be bloody nice, tbh im happy with my asus h67 board and have no problems carrying on with it for now as we wont see anything wrong for a while(if at all) when they call for rma ill send it back and pay the extra for a z68 if they are decent enough if not, well then ill just stick with what ive got

13. xkarfase

xkarfase What's a Dremel?

I got my p8p67 from ebuyer, haven't heard what their process is gonna be yet, I'd be grateful if you could let us know if you hear back from them.

the board has been extremely troublesome in any case (dual posting, not detecting right memory speeds, randomly entering power save mode, failing to overclock and boot, and some general BSODs) so I'll be quite glad when I get rid of it and get a new one.

14. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

If and when we do have our motherboards replaced, will this not void our OEM operating systems?

15. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

Will do, I'll post up as soon as they respond.

Yeah mine has been a bit of a ballache too, new BIOS fixed it though. I'll never understand how custom pc ALWAYS give the dam Asus boards premium grade awards, all the asus boards I've ever had have always been pants!

16. Wicked_Sludge

im running a gigabyte ud3 and i havnt had any odd problems whatsoever. ram was detected at 1333, but was easily bumped to the proper 1600. the turbo boost, ram timings, voltages...everything detected and ran as it should.

EDIT: i take it back, i did have a problem; the system POSTs so fast that i barely have time to jump into the bios before the OS starts loading :D

Last edited: 1 Feb 2011
  17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No, because you will have the RMA letter, so you can prove to MS that your OEM licence is still valid.

18. Wicked_Sludge

just got an email back from newegg. egg is extending the warranty on affected boards by 90 days or until replacement boards become available. they are expecting new boards out by april.

im glad i will get to RMA through egg because they have the fastest and easiest RMA proceedure in recorded history :rock:

19. chrismarkham1982

ive never had problems with asus boards, my p8h67-m pro has been a dream to work with so far.

20. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know what Scan will be doing with boards bought from them?