1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Pete's Watercooling log/how-to. UPDATE: UPGRADES!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 10 Jan 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Hey Pete, just got my hands on the same pump that you bought from the marketplace, the premodded fittings you talk about, I assume they mean you can put compression fittings straight on, and I'm guessing you can't do that with it how it comes standard?
    So I don't suppose you know where I could get some? Thanks for any help in advanced :]

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You wont be able to, you'll need something like this. I'm going to upgrade mine to it at some point :)

3. thetrashcanman

Ah so that would mean you'd then be able to put compression fittings on? :D

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yup :) I believe it also increases the output too :)

5. thetrashcanman

sweet, thanks pete :thumb:

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What are you going with for the rest of your loop then?

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

A nice solid guide Pete.
    I've started to reconsider water cooling my rig, just damn'd expensive.

Sam

8. thetrashcanman

XSPC RX360 with some Scythe Gentle Typoons, Switech Apogee XT cpu block, ek block for the gtx 580, and either bitspower or some enzotech black sparkle compression fittings, not sure about the res at the moment, looking at maybe the LUND Pom Plex res Or Magicool 150 :]

9. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

another question that keeps coming up in my mind is about coolant. I have read a lot of things saying that distilled water is the best option but I am also looking for a green theme and the choices on green tubing is kinda limited to the really acid looking tubing. Any suggestions on turning the tubing or coolant green?

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So very similar to mine then? :)

Thanks :) You should, it's fun and the performance smashed any air cooler...

I've rad many good things about Mayhem dyes. They work really well when mixed, so maybe the green with a dash of blue would ease it and give you the colour you want. Failing that you could always use yellow and blue to get the green you want. I'm going to grab some of the red and UV pink for mine :)

11. samkiller42

I've got enough performance, it's the silence i miss. I'm struggling to find a case i like. I used to have a Lian Li PC 6077, which was watercooled, and silent, and i foolishly sold it.

Sam

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You should do it. What case are you currently using?

13. samkiller42

Silverstone TJ07. Beautiful case, just heavy, with nothing in it (2mm Aluminium) But thinking of sticking with it as it has tonnes of potential.
    I've also, come across the new Aquacomputer Aquaero 5, already have a 4, so know how useful it is. I've got a Heatkiller CPU Block, all be it the cheaper £30 version, but it's a start.

Sam

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You have the best case for watercooling though... I really want the TJ11 personally, but it's insanely expensive!

Just do what I did, keep an eye on the market place and but bits cheap as they appear :)

15. thetrashcanman

Pretty much :] its getting there slowly, have the rad, pump and fans so far :D

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Keep at it, and as you go read up on everything. What case are you mounting it all in?

17. thetrashcanman

Ha, yeah I will :] throughly looking forward to doing it (although I will be crapping myself) and getting it finished. I'm putting it into a antec 1200, in the sig :] not the best case for water cooling I know, but I think with a little modding it should be pretty good :D What do you think about colored tubing with distilled water vs like dyes and such? I've heard good things about Mayhems dyes (think thats what there called)

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Same. I've just gone for tubing and plain distilled water with a Silver Coil. I'm going to get some Mayhem dye over the summer when I do my rebuild...

19. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

Wonderful guide. I started watercooling when the socket 939 x2 chips came out with a complete kit from waterchill.

A guide like this would have been brilliant back then as it would of helped enormously. For some reason the instructions that came with that first kit wasn't really what you would call complete.

Since then it's been watercooled all the way. Must admit that I'm slightly jealous of your pump, I have the Swiftech MCP655 which is basically the same pump but without the added fittings. I have the Coolermaster Cosmos S case so you can't actually see the pump anyway.

Yes watercooling setups can be expensive but if well maintained you're only looking at a change of cpu/gpu blocks when you upgrade.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

and usually most CPU blocks are ok. I stopped for a long time, but I'm going to stick with it now :)