1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 3 Feb 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Guys, need your advice please.

I'm looking at upgrading my phone in the middle of february. I want a smartphone, however I'm not sure what to go for.

I don't want anything from Apple. It's a long story, but it ended up with me sueing Apple and winning, and I despise them as a company now.

I'm looking at Blackberry, Android and Windows Phone. I was wondering what you guys consider to be the ones to compare.

Modsbywoz likes this.
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

If your not looking at Apple, I won't try to convince you. Has to be Android then. The Atrix, Nexus S or LG Tegra 2 phones are all brilliant, but expensive.

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Don't go blackberry. To me they're a generation behind and are only useful for business users.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I would have a play around with some Blackberry's instore. I had a Blackberry Storm before my love affair with iPhones started and I loved it. I am actually looking at getting the new Blackberry torch for my daughter as a replacement for her 8520 as she loves Blackberry's and all her friends have them too (They all use Blackberry messenger).

5. Phalanx

Ah, you see, Blackberry Messenger has come up a lot, as I have a lot of friends who use it. However invariably, I will have unlimited texts, so I'm not too worried about that.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Gotta be Android

The two manufacturers leading the charge are without a doubt: HTC and Samsung. You can’t go too far wrong with both as long as you get one with a 1Ghz processer. Sony Ericsson have a number of Android phones on the market, but their record of updating to the latest version of Android is currently terrible (ie: you’ll have to wait a long long time to get their version of the latest OS), so I’d steer clear personally. LG – I just think the build quality of their phones is still poor (though improving).

Re: windows phone: great hardware and OS – but not many apps at the moment – I’d wait a year to see how the OS develops – but you will undoubtedly be in ‘early adopter’ territory at the moment

7. Phalanx

Oh and just to add, this will be a contract, so I'm not paying for the phone. Suggesting expensive phones is fine :)

8. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

Desire?
    or the Desire HD?

Or the new Google Nexus S? (made by samsung)

Dell Streak even?

Got a Desire myself and love it. (along with custom ROM from the XDA devs...)
    Also have a works HD2 that I have reflashed and is now running Android 2.3!

Last edited: 3 Feb 2011
  9. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Desire HD. Just gotta charge it regularly (see: at least once a day).

10. Phalanx

Once a day? Wow. Erm, OK. I'll look at it I guess. I must admit, I'm not an app fan. I just want a phone that does everything I need well. E-mails, Internet, Phone, Text, etc. Just the basics. None of this downloading games and stuff.

It's why I was looking at the Windows Phone, as apparently it's really smooth thanks to the processing power. I even heard the term "better than Apple" banded around for the UI.

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Again I would look at Blackberry's, it fits all your criteria.

12. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

I'm loving my HTC Desire atm. The battery does run down a little quickly after bit-tech runs stories on Game Dev Story and I lose a morning of work playing it but for the usual calls, internet surfing and email etc it seems exceptional.

13. Phalanx

I can't believe noone on Bit-Tech has used a Windows phone yet. Surely someone must. At the moment it's loads for Blackberry and Android.

14. Ljs

Ljs Modder

If that is what you want to use it for, +1 to what M7ck said tbh.

15. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

BBM is not just about unlimited texts, its about seeing when they're read/delivered and unlimited pics, sound clips and files too. It transferred via data so you can have wifi on and phone network off and still use BBM.

I have the 9700, and I've had the 8800, the Storm and now this. All superb!

16. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Another vote for Android here - I own a Samsung Galaxy S. The new LG Optimus 2X looks pretty tasty and should be arriving soon. The Galaxy S2 will also be dropping by soon.

If you need a phone very soon, the Nexus S is where it's at.

17. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I have an Android, I would say go for a HTC if you do, or a Nexus phone as they are the best supported of the various makes. Dual core Android phones are coming later this year.

No experience with a Windows Phone, you could be our guinea pig!

Also, what did you sue Apple for? Was it your business that sued them, or small claims court or even bigger? Just interested :)

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Out of the Desire variants I would go with the plain Desire. The reason being that the HD is just too hungy on power with that awesome screen and the Z just felt loose and cheap as well as being a fair bit slower than the regular Desire.

Can't say that Windows phone 7 is doing much for me, too much design over function for me with those big blocks of colour, looks like they just listened too much to marketing at the expense of the Engineers.

19. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

Ive got the desire but the girlfriend just got an omnia 7.

ive used both android and wp7 and prefer android to be honest.

Wp7 is very good, smooth to run, nice menus, can be customised easily
    However, there are a lot of settings that cant be changed on it that can be changed on android. For example, the message vibrate cant be changed, the alarm seems to be linked to the phone volume and profile (if its set to silent then the alarm seems to be silent, if youre phone is on quiet then the alarm will be quiet).
    Also, pretty much all the settings are under the settings menu rather than being linked to an app (so if you want to changed the dictionary settings, you have to exit the message and then scroll to the settings menu and then change it. On my desire i just press the menu key and i can access it there and then).

Shes only had the phone about a week though so still getting use to it, but it does seem to be very good overall. Its also worth noting that microsoft intead on being able to update each phone rather than leaving it to the mobile provider.
    in the orange shop near me they have live models that you can use so see how the os feels to you.

20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

HTC HD7 awesome piece of kit and would recommend it and you cannot compare to the old windows 6.5 version as they have made a huge stride forward.

Battery wise you cannot beat Blackberry Bold at this stage.

Other choices are
    HTC Dersire and Desire HD
    Samsung Galaxy S ( I have one and love it. ) and the Nexus
    The batteries yes you looking at about a day max except as I said above the Blackberry about 2 to 3 days.

PM me bud if you need advice maybe I can help