1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 3 Feb 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

A 2 or 3 day Blackberry sounds better to me. I don't like the idea of charging every single day. I must admit I like the look of the Torch, but I'm more interested in Torch 2 at the moment.

The new windows interface has indeed improved a lot. It's nice to read that it's living up to some of the expectation. I like the fact that Microsoft update it directly and I also heard they give you a cloud account to synch it for easy backup and retrieval.

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Torch 2 we not sure when its out but it ain't long and it would be wise just to wait a month or so after it's come out ( Do not want an issue like the Nokia N97 ).

But I love that HD7 bud but as I said the battery is a problem but so is the Torch even though it is better than the others

3. Phalanx

I heard the Torch was a tad underspecced with processor and memory. People have reported it being a bit sluggish. Hence the Torch 2 spec.

4. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

I've been using the HTC (7) Mozart since October.

The experience is very good, both in terms of the hardware and software. There are some features that need adding, such as custom ringtones (there are workarounds) and copy & paste (coming with the first update) so if you are thinking about Windows Phone then check what isn't there as while quite a few things are on the to-do list there is no timescale for inclusion (that has been announced). The UI is very simple but it makes using the phone so much easier than any other device I've tried.

For battery life I would say 1-2 days depending on usage. I tend to charge mine overnight anyway as it will sync wirelessly with my computer at the same time.

5. Phalanx

OK that's got my attention, thank you for that. I like the wireless sync option. Does it sync to cloud too?

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Yes it does sync to cloud

7. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

It can upload any pictures you take to either SkyDrive or Facebook as you take them and contacts and calender will sync to their appropiate accounts (by default this is Windows Live). OneNote will also Sync to Skydrive so any notes you make can be shared with your computer or edited via a browser.

The wireless sync with the computer covers Music, Video, Podcasts and Photos.

8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I'd avoid the HTC desire if it were me. My brother has one and he hates it. The thing keeps falling apart and has terrible battery life. It doesn't seem as "robust" as other handsets either.

I'll probably get gunned for this, but I've had the Nokia N8 since release (bought direct from Nokia). I've had Symbian phones for as long as I can remember and while they have had their downsides (N97), they've really done a good job on the N8. And the camera is awesome, as is the sat nav.

I guess it's just what I'm used to.

9. Phalanx

Windows Phone definitely has my attention now. I shall have to compare the Torch 2 to Windows Phone (Probably the HTC version) to perhaps a decent Android model.

10. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

For Windows Phone it might be an idea to have a look here to see if there are any issues or missing features what would prevent you from using the it. For example do you need to connect to any Hidden-SSID WiFi networks which is something WP7 cannot do at the moment.

11. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Honestly, I had all kinds of Blackberries for six years. Before that, I was using Windows Mobile. I decided that Blackberry no longer had a future as my handset of choice, for a number of reasons, and crawled back to Windows Mobile as Android nothing to offer me at the time. There is no way that I would ever go back to Blackberry. My next smartphone will, in all likelihood be an Android. I suggest going that route as well.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

1. WhatsApp does everything BBM does and is also cross platform compatible.
    2. You will have to charge almost all smartphones every day (though if you switch off 3G they last for ages)
    3. If you don’t want apps etc, then you probably don’t want a smartphone – the ability to install apps is what makes them desirable!
    4. You may want apps etc once you realise how good they are (as someone on this forum I suspect you’ll probably love them)
    5. Samsung Nexus S runs Android 2.3 and is officially supported by Google – I’d go with that if you do go down the smartphone route at all.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I've been using a HTC HD2 (LEO) on, Andriod 2.1 & WM6.5 :naughty: you can download the app freely from the XDA forums it allows you to dual boot as you would on a PC. As the HD2 is effectively a HD Desire it works seamlessly for me. I tend to use android for the wider app support but windows as my primary OS. WM6.5 syncs nicely with email allows full access to web pages but wont run things like Java script or adobe flash obviously. ive a full office suite that comes free msn and the email mentioned, you can download other extras such as facebook chat, skype im sure is available on andriod as well.

Bad points on the phone i would say is the battery life mine was fully charged this morning and is down to 26% now on light usage. The standard battery is pretty poor to say the least. If you get one keep a charger handy, invest in a second battery of look at a high capacity battery for them.

14. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Good lord, what are you doing to make your battery drain that fast? I have an HD2 as well and I couldn't drain it that fast, even if I tried.

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

HTC hero here - best phone ever - almost Nokia strong !
    Battery 1 day - not Nokia strong - no one here amazed by Unix geek n900 ?
    Saw it fell in love saw price bought 2 graphics cards

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Ducking virtual keypad

Last edited: 3 Feb 2011
    pimonserry likes this.
  17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Remembering as well the Android is now out selling symbian.

I am running 2.2 on my Galaxy with couple of apps from 2.3.

Whatspp you also have pingchat as well as ebuddy.

I needed to go to Birmingham the other day so instead of Google Maps quickly downloaded Skobbler absolutely brilliant GPS app

18. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Agreed, Andy Proper Smartphone requires a good daily charge. Bung it on when you go to bed and its a non issue. If you need the life you can always get a nice 5000mah USB battery, bung it in a bag and go for dayyyyyys :)

19. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Wifi on, 3G off means my Milestone can last 2 days, just.
    Now I live in Birmingham though, I have no Wifi, and 3G is everywhere, so it's charged every night.

20. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

I have a LG Optimus Quantum Windows Phone 7, it's actually pretty fast and responsive, quite a bit of apps for being new, but the downside is no custom ringtones and cut and paste but those are apparently coming, I'd say give a Windows Phone 7 a try, it's really nice to customize and smooth to use.