1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fractal Design Arc Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Dec 2010.

1. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

^^^ motherboard sized frame window indeed. Why on earth do you want to see the PSU and all cables below and all stuff on the right side. To be honest I mostly cut out my own windows.

I love this case. A mid tower with room in the top for rads. EVERY other mid towercase it would not fit. Or the motherboard sits right against the top fans. thumbs up for this!

2. whiz187

whiz187 What's a Dremel?

It appears that there are only two open bays at the top of the case. Might be more flexible with three. Currently I use two, DVD and hot swap HD rack, but you never know what might be needed later.

My current case is used on a hard floor and has small castors (wheels on the bottom) I like that feature and would like to see the option on this case.

I like the looks of the front grill, which I assume contributes to air flow, no doors please.

3. stupido

stupido What's a Dremel?

I really like this case. the only nit picking for me would be to go with asymmetric HDD cage - so you can have triple HDD cage and than all your PCI(e) slots are free to have unimpeded air flow to your multi GPU setup... while still be able to have several HDDs... or maybe if the cage can be placed such that the HDs are vertical (the case is wide enough to have 4 x 3.5 HDD stacked vertically for a nice RAID setup?

4. shensoky

shensoky What's a Dremel?

I'm just wondering if the issue with the grommets popping out when running cable through them has been resolved. Not that it was a serious issue but just enough to be annoyance in the R2 and R3.

5. Fractal Design

Fractal Design What's a Dremel?

Shensoky: Yes, that has been resolved, as well as in the latest revision in the R3.

6. Fractal Design

Saltire35: Yes, there is 2x 140mm slots in the front and 1x 140mm in the rear. In the top you actually have three different options; either 3x 120mm fans OR 3x 140mm fans OR 1x 180mm fan + 1x 120/140mm fan. Well, you could also mount a dual 120 rad in the top ;-)

As for windowed side panel; it will be sold as a separate item.

7. Fractal Design

Shevce_24: Opposed to Define R2/R3/XL, there is no noise absorbing material mounted in the case. The Arc Series is targeted on cooling possibilities at first.

8. Fractal Design

iancook221188: We will not fit an eight horizontal slot in this case, however, it will come in future, bigger versions of the Arc. The fan controller will be similar to the one in R2/R3/XL, which is mounted in one of the rear expansion slots, ideally in the vertical slot. It has a channel for three fans.

9. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

C-C-C-Combo breaker!

Material likes this.
  10. Fractal Design

HandMadeAndroid: Yes, the top HDD cage is both removable and rotatable. Remove it completely to fit longer graphic cards or rotate it to just improve air flow. We expect the case to be avaiable in march in UK.

11. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

How is the gap behind the motherboard tray for cables? Also how thick is the material? My R2 was quite flimsy on the top.

Also any chance of a 600T style rad mounting at the top? looks like theres room up there for 120.3 rad :)

Also any chance of a window just rectangle with circular edges, highlighting just the centre hardware (no visible cd/hdd cages)? Just a simple window, no holes for fans etc to go with the simplicity design. {similiar to the cutting style on the front of the case}.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2010
  12. Fractal Design

cool_dude: The space between motherboard tray and right side panel is very good on the Arc, this case is wider than R2/R3. The material has also been upgraded to thicker steel, so I think you'll feel that the Arc is much sturdier.

Unfortunately, the case is too small for a 3x 120 rad if you don't want to make some serious modding yourself and cut away the top 5,25" mount.

Window - yes, it wil come, and will be sold separately.

13. Saltire35

Saltire35 Drunken Scotsman

Thanks for the feedback... excellent news, seems the perfect case imo. Just looking for somewhere to buy it from now :thumb:

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Nice, it is able to fit a roof mounted rad...

[​IMG]

15. tehehe

tehehe What's a Dremel?

Arc midi could be better if all drive cages were removable (both hdd cages as well as 5.25'' cage). It would be a lot more customizable without modding and possibly it would not raise price more (if at all). When this case is gonna be readily available in Europe?

16. SaveFerris

SaveFerris What's a Dremel?

Anyone know when this is available in the states? Looking for a case now and really like this one but can't find an accurate release date.

17. Emirl

Emirl What's a Dremel?

That is a really awesome case :) I'm already sold. But still got two questions that might add to the awesomeness:

How big was the top fans? Two 140mm?
    Would there be room for a dual 140 rad in the top then? :p

18. Saltire35

Saltire35 Drunken Scotsman

This should answer your question mate:

19. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

So um yeah whense this going to be available? I mean specialtech have it listed but with no stock and i kinda want the Arc Midi ASAP (current case is way too big for lan parties, with the irony being it can't fit any of the decent tower coolers for lack of space D: ) while i have money available :)

20. squiggles

squiggles What's a Dremel?

Perhaps they will be unscrewable somehow? I certainly hope so, because I want to put a radiator on the front panel, as I feel this is a much more efficient place to put it.

Regarding the side window, I agree with what others have said – keep it small and elegant; just enough to view the motherboard. It would also look a lot nicer if it attached from the inside without those ugly screws poking through the panel. Rounded corners would be nice too...

Anyway, will this case be available in Australia when it is released? It looks perfect.

Tags: Add Tags