1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 3 Feb 2011.

1. seedleon

seedleon What's a Dremel?

The Orange San Francisco is quite a popular choice as it's cheap but feature packed for an Android phone.

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Story required unless prohibited by law

3. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I like my DroidX. Screen is awesome, HD 720p camcorder, 8.0 MP I'd say even better than Iphone4.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Doesn't it have a physical keyboard?

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Except it has no memory card slot. Gay.
    No comma on the keyboard. Gay.
    And it's actually not much better than the Galaxy S. So you might as well get that.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My next smartphone I really want a larger screen. My 3GS can do so much but I feel its being held back by a small screen.

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

8. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Nope all touch screen. And comes with 16gb flash card!

9. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I've a n900. I love it, but it's a little dated now. I think it was replaced by the N8. Also Nokia shafted us by not supporting the forthcoming MeeGo on it. If you want something to play around with and hack, then a N900 is great. It's like a netbook. The downsides are that it's over complicated for most users and the battery struggles to make it to the end of the day.

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

A Nokia smartphone? Oh come on, he wanted serious suggestions, not something to make him laugh.

11. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Droiddddddxxx:)

12. eddierow

eddierow What's a Dremel?

I was looking at the HTC HD7 until my friends caught fire in his pocket lol no joke.

If it's email's calling and texting your mainly after then I'd consider a windows phone.

I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S but I'm not too sure it just looks abit too much like an Iphone 3g to me but bigger.

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If I were buying a new phone I'd definitely be deliberating between a Windows Phone Device and Android, and probably opt for the former due to having already got a Zune and being a regular Office/Xbox user. Android is obviously more mature, has more apps, is more customisable etc (everything you knew already) but having played with a WP7 device I found it to be incredibly simple and well-thought out.

Being a current Palm Pre owner I thought that was quick for getting tasks done quickly but WP7 certainly matches it for pace. If you were to go for a device I'd recommend the Samsung Omnia 7 on account of its AMOLED display which the HTC devices don't have. That said there's very little difference between any of the models currently on offer so you can't go far wrong.

Like I said, if it were me it would be a toss-up between Android and WP7. Palm will be announcing new devices on Feb 9th but probably won't be out for a bit after, Blackberrys to me are stale and outdated now, Nokia don't really offer anything compelling (rumour has it they're teaming up with MS to put WP7 on their devices) and the only other viable option left is the iPhone.

14. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

Quite happy with my HTC Desire. And best thing is the price has come down (likewise contract price).

I don't know what people expect their mobile phones to be able to withstand in terms of punishment, but I've dropped and stepped on the android device more than once and it lives to tell the tale.

15. winter zombie

winter zombie What's a Dremel?

Android
    they are amazong.
    i dont know about all phones but mine as has the option to install ANY 3rd part software. this is why i sold my iphone the bag of Wa*k that it was and went for the Android.

also i can advise you to go to http://www.buymobilephones.net/

its a great place to get a phone as they do almost every model possible and depending on the tarrif you can pick a free camera,laptop or xbox 360 with kinect. thats what i did.

my gift arrived about 3 weeks after i recived my phone totaly free.

some things they wont you to pay a bit towards it but their is a lot of free gifts too. its worth a look.

16. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Good god, i wouldn't recommend a Nokia. Not these days. Just saying i like my n900 (they don't sell them anymore) and in my opinion was probably the last good Nokia.

17. russell16688

russell16688 What's a Dremel?

Got to be Blackberry....simply for the keypad! so easy to type if your used to a qwerty keypad and no misreading which button youve pressed (unless you have pressed the wrong one).
    Im not an app fan other than weather, twitter, email text and i find that the blackberry does it all imcredibly well whilst being small and light and also durable.
    My personal reccomendation for a useable phone is the Bold 9780 as i prefer the look, feel and weightin of the bold series to the torch

Also if you end up getting a Blackberry (good choice) a great app to get is "wirefly" backup. Uploads all your contacts andsettings to a server as a minnimum, you can choose to do more, for free so if you ever have a problem you can retrieve them. I wiped my phone updating it once and it saved me a lot of hassle.

18. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna disagree with you there and say 6210, or maybe even 7110.

The more I look at all these posts and the phones behind them, the more annoyed I get that we're expected to pay £400+ for any phone. It's fracking ludicrous really.

19. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

We aren't discussing "any" phones. If you want any phone, go on eBay and buy one for £5.

20. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I'm well aware of what the discussion is about. Do you not feel that £400 is a lot of money though?