1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Mecha

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Samaya, 4 Feb 2011.

1. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I have started a new project and am calling it Mecha.

The idea is to have a new box for my new hardware that I will buy in about 6 months. I want to put the best hardware I can afford in when the case is ready. So some things like cable routing will be done last.

I designed a frame for everything to be fitted on
    [​IMG]

Nice and sturdy

The case itself will look like this

Box OFF
    [​IMG]

Box ON
    [​IMG]

At first I thought I should have a DVD drive in there but I don't use a drive that much and I will just get a portable USB DVD writer at some stage

So this is what the idea is I have for the case
    [​IMG]

Last week I started with the aluminium bars for the frame. They are 12.7mm square bar.
    I cut all the pieces for the frame
    [​IMG]

And while cutting off a small piece from the aluminium, that small piece fell on the floor and I stepped on it by accident. The aluminium burnt through my little toe's skin and even got to a bit of muscle. I was saying very many inappropriate words at that time. (And yes, I have BIG feet :D)
    [​IMG]

Lesson:
    Don't work in the workshop when not wearing any shoes

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012
  2. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Today I got the frame back from the welders and it came out very well.

Sorry for the bad quality (I only had my cellphone with me)
    [​IMG]

A close up of the welds
    [​IMG]

Now I will need to get rid of those bulges and then order aluminium sheets for the outside and some inside things. I am going to start on the electronics first though. I am building a custom controller for the fans, servo's and display.

Enjoy and cheers,

S

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Sound good! I'll keep an eye on this one. *Your poor toe!:waah:

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

That's interesting... How did you got the aluminun soldered?

Nice project btw, lets see how it will turn out

5. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I had it welded at a company close to where I work. And the guy there used a TIG welder to do it. :D

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

The plan looks very interesting, especially the shape of the frame. :thumb:

7. that_du^de

that_du^de give your head a wobble

intresting shape,this should be a good one!also like the renders.about the welding, it may have been done with a tig welder but that weld is called a fused weld(no rod used) and that will give you big problems after you grind it back flush as the weld is just sitting on the surface and hasent penetrated due to no rod being used so after grinding it back you are left with little to no strenth at all.if a welding rod was used you will have the "stack of dimes on there side effect" and penetration to give you more strenth after being ground back,but i wouldent advise grinding alu after welding as all you are doing is removing strenth. when a weld is done(good!) you have changed the structure and grain of the material,and the top of the weld is part of the strenth.did you pay good money to have this welded? if you did then i would take it back and tell them you dident pay good money for sub-standerd welding and you want it done properly! with full penetration this time.sorry to be the bringer of doom and gloom but i would hate to see you make this and pick it up and it all falls apart due to crap welding.by trade im a alu welder so if i can help mate just ask:D

that_du^de

8. Virtblue

Virtblue What's a Dremel?

Pretty awesome shape, are the side pods going to be retractable?

9. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Thanks for the advise. I am going to slap that guy. I did pay for it to be done - the equivalent of $35 to be exact... I'll be taking it back to the guy (who is a fitter and turner by trade) and ask him to redo the mess he made.

10. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Yip, going to control them with servo's. I just need to get servo's and then make a push pull hinge for it.

11. jprykov

jprykov What's a Dremel?

nice frame! very unique :) im definitely going to follow this! :)

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Very interesting design and concept my friend!! Mod on!

13. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

I certainly like your frame shape. And I like the idea for the final design in your 3d model. The transformation idea is awesome:).

If you need help programming and doing AVR 168 micro stuff (to actuate the moving parts) let me know. I've been messign with stuff. I've done servo control code and am currently messing with AVR's Bitcloud Zigbee stuff using the AVR Raven platform.

I have the programmers etc.

14. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

:rock: ATMEL RULES!!!!

Thanks for your offer - I appreciate it. I use Atmel for my own projects as well. Haven't done much with the Raven or on Servo control but I have made a bunch of other projects for work and such. I like the Mega328 and have started learning AVR32 UC3.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It is a nice frame layout. There's potential for an super-easy-access side panel there too.
    It's a good thing you were wearing pants at least. Imagine ThAT burn!

16. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Today is a sad day :waah:. I am going to disasemble my first ever scratch build and recycle some of the parts to go into my new build.

On the right is Behemoth (Blue with brushed aluminium)
    [​IMG]

I will be using some the aluminium and definitly those VERY expensive Bulgin buttons. This case held together for nearly 6 years. It was not the prettiest box on the plot but it was definitly the BIGGEST and easiest to access... Dual supplies - one for the hardware and one for the fans and lighting. A first rate P4 2.8GHz and a 5700 ultra was in there at the time.

Good time, good times.

;)

17. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Update!!!

I finished wrecking Behemoth and started work on the frame.

Took me about 15 minutes to do this. I could save a bunch of stuff and very little infact got trashed
    [​IMG]

Trashed stuff
    [​IMG]

Anyway.

I started filing down the bulges on the frame and it came out pretty decent. LUCKILY it seems the welds were done properly. I am not going to remove the bulges on the inside of the frame though - just in case I am wrong.
    [​IMG]

Now I am going to measure out the panels and see How I am going to run the cables and so on.

18. TimtomNL

TimtomNL What's a Dremel?

Looks nice! :rock:

19. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I am going to start on the electronics. While I wait for my aluminium sheeting order to arrive.

BTW does anyone know what primer I should use on aluminium so I can paint the case?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  20. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

I finally got some really awesome LED's today. Osram Golden Dragon plus. These things are VERY bright. I am only going to need 3 per side panel at probably half the brightness it can go.

Here it is off
    [​IMG]

Here it is on. The white you see is because my camera cannot process the brightness and this at half the brightness it can do.
    [​IMG]

This is how nice the light distribution is - even with a big white flash going off. So as you can see, these LED's are bright
    [​IMG]

Then I also got these guys. 12 of them. FOR FREE!!! 3kg Servo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am busy sorting out the electronics and will do some stuff during the week. Will update in the near future

Cheers,

S