1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Blue Horizon - "MOTY" Nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by riekmaharg2, 8 Jul 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:jawdrop: Uber dremel :D :thumb:.

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I agree with above, I also thought you were going to try folding it yourself. Im not shure of the costs of the bonded ones but im guessing a premade extruded one will be cheaper than having a company custom make one for you.

nice cutting, but those slittingsaws gives me nightmares:worried: Have spent to much time with those

3. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah lol, they cut through thick aluminium with incredible ease. The chuck kept falling off though which was really annoying, as its only held in with a taper, never had any problems with the old chuck. Yeah I'm not sure about the cost either, though I imagine they just have a machine that makes them automattically and all they need to do is input the specs required. I'll phone and ask them for a quote on monday.

4. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

Scary piece of equipment, imagine it falling off at full revs, "Saw VII - Chucks Revenge" :dremel: :eek:

A sharp rap of a rubber mallet usually keeps em in place ;)

5. riekmaharg2

Fortunatly it spins quite slow, only around 800rpm. Yeah thats what I did in the end :), hopefully I dont ever need to take it apart lol.

Heres the first half of the top panel with the edged milled perfectly straight, it took me about 10 tries to get the jig right to hold it steady enough as there isn't much flat surface to clamp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It just needs some sanding now.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Excellent work on getting it perfect riekmaharg2 :thumb:.

7. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

riekmaharg2 that is some true bit-tech pr0n, I honestly wish I had you skill, dedication and resources

8. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This looks outstanding. very nice work.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

10. riekmaharg2

Mankz:
    Thanks everyone :thumb:, next update will be tomorrow :)

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Belt sander maybe?, just run it back and forth along the edge, checking its all level/ straight with a long straight edge occasionally.

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I usually know people who get better in something like from 1 level to 2 level.
    You my friend you went from level 1 to level 10 with so much ease!
    Thats the spirit bro just keep the passion and the dedication to this level!!! :)

13. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Love the technique, but veeeery eager to see those pieces to put together to form a case!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice.:D
    My machine barely has enough torque to operate the saw blade, but at least I don't have to worry about a taper shaft. I have to say the worst part is the horizontal stripe of oily metal shavings you get from the process.

15. riekmaharg2

Mines pretty much just all torque, it only has a top speed of 900rpm. Yeah I left a few mm on the edge so that I can rid of the rough oily finish.

Thanks Nutman :thumb:, I've got the SMD LED's to go into the top panel before it goes onto the case, but it should be soon.

Thanks Alex :thumb:

I managed to clamp the panel down secure enough to use the Face milling cutter on the milling machine, see below:

To neaten and trim down the edge I used the Face milling cutter which means I had to clamp a peice of angle aluminium to the milling table, then clamp the panel to the angle with G clamps, then tie the G clamps onto another set of clamps, as the cutter can be very savage. If you dont secure the workpeice properly it quite literally gets launched off the milling table at high speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also had to move the work peice over as the machine couldnt reach the end:

[​IMG]

I then used the cutter, to straighten out the bottom edge of each top panel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RonanH likes this.
  16. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Excellent work, but why didn't you use the uber dremel for those cutting tasks again?

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

'Cause he has access to a big-a** face mill?:D

18. riekmaharg2

lol, it was because the arbour on the slot saw was to wide and the aluminium angle was in the way of it.

Today I milled out the underneath of one of the top panels so it fits onto the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chuck taper came loose again and caused this:

[​IMG]

Luckily it wont be seen, I also fixed the chuck taper by putting the whole thing in a G clamp and tighening it as hard as I could, and it doesnt come loose anymore :)

I also milled a notch into the other top panel:

[​IMG]

19. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

New stuff (the chuck) is usually coated with a fairly thick rust protection coating, maybe this was preventing the morse taper from sitting fully home, they are usually pretty tight, you need a wedge to remove them...

Bad luck with the milling accident, big relief that it's not visible though, I'd have shat myself :waah:

20. riekmaharg2

It used to sit so tight that you cant remove it by hand but the machine used to make short work of it. Yeah, I wouldn't want to go through all that sanding down again.