1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 3 Feb 2011.

1. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

Theres a htc desire 4sale on here as well imho i would choose htc des. over iphone its workhorse not a fashion stqtement and lots and lots free apps, i know you said your not into apps but you will be trust me, ive never spent a single penny on them, but have every thing need (like gmote - lets me control w media plyer on my pc wirelessly, the only 2 slight downsidesi are s one the battery last about a day average use much less when using the FREE satnav googlemaps and secondly the onboard memory is unsuffiecient for all the apps you'll want slightly remedied by 2.2 but its not really been cured til the desire HD which has triple the onboard memory unfortunately though Hd has less battery life than the original, this aside I still stand by my early statement HTC vs Iphone, Htc wins here.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  2. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Surprised they still are carrying on with it, unless they have a loyal customer base.

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I just went to Palm's website to look at the Pre 2, and they have a big countdown with only 4 hours left on it.

http://www.palm.com/uk/en/

Any ideas? Looks like a tablet though

4. carpetmonster

I just picked up an Orange San Francisco 2nd hand off a mate who got himself a Blackberry somethingorother. It is the earlier model with the OLED screen and he wanted £60 for it. Have to say, mighty impressive. Angry birds is a bit jerky, but I think a ROM update will solve that. Also the voice recorder ap crashes when you open it. But apart from that, pretty damn good.

iPhone 4 certainly up for sale now after some deliberation.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I better start reading up on smartphones myself. My upgrade is due very shortley. Im already leaning towards a W7 phone, but mainly because ive been so impressed with W7 for the PC lol. Ive got no idea if the two will correlate!

6. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Load the Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 rom. Any 2.2 rom will play angry birds smoothly, but this rom is just fast! Combined with ADW Ex launcher, its almost as smooth as my flatmates iPhone 3G, and with the animation speed turned up, it feels snappier :)

Also Cyanogenmod CM7 should be working for this soon - it's a bit buggy atm - but should be good :D

OSF Cheesecake :p

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The only things common between Windows Phone 7 and Windows 7 is one word (Windows), one number (7) and manufacturer (Microsoft). Nothing else.

8. carpetmonster

I had an HTC Hero and I did a ROM cookup on it but it was quite tricky to do, is it easier these days ?

9. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Its pretty simple. Once you've got recovery mode unlocked (you use clockwork recovery 2.5.1.8) and then you just reboot it into recovery mode and flash the new rom. Takes about 10 mins once you've got the files you need. The best place to go, as previously mentioned, is xda. I think the san francisco is just another name for the Blade, right? (like how the T-mobile G2-Touch is just a HTC Hero)

XDA Japanese Jellyfish RLS8 thread

Last edited: 10 Feb 2011
  10. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Yeh, the SanFran is just a ZTE Blade with some nasty orange branding, but its still one hell of a phone for £90 payg.

For the SanFran the best resource is actually MoDaCo - XDA refused to make a subforum for the blade for the first few months, and got a bit left in the dust.

Btw - The JJRLS8 you linked to is outdated - theres RLS9 now... RLS8 had a buggy dialer that ate your battery.

11. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm not leaning back to Windows Phone 7. Android is wildly customisable, but at the end of the day I use Outlook and not Gmail and contacts sync isn't straightforward. I'm geting very tempted by the Dell Venue Pro which appears next month.

12. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

My bad. I only took a brief look at the forum. I've not done much with rooting since I did my hero a year back. Think I'll root my Desire HD this weekend though.

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have a Motorola Milestone (1st gen) and which the hardware is great, the support that Motorola have provided is a complete joke. The have pushed back the update to 2.2 multiple times and we still haven't got it despite being released for months.

That said, there is very little to compete with the Milestone 2 at the moment. I think the nearest would be the Desire Z and that's got a marginally slower processor. Probably overclockable though, I've overclocked my phone to 800MHz which speeds up Angry Birds a bit :)

Very easy to overclock them, get root (Universal Androot is very easy) then there's an app called "Milestone Overclock" that will overclock many others too. Just picks a speed and there you go.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Beware, this is exactly what they did with their first Android phone, the Cliq/Dext.
    It was launched running 1.5, but as Android levelled up again & again, Motorola pushed the updates back repeatedly. :wallbash:

Then, when the Droid/Milestone was released, updates for the Cliq/Dext were completely ruled out. :sigh:

tl;dr - I wil never buy Motorola again, Google Nexus S for me next I think.

15. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

HTC Desire HD, Galaxy S, BB Bold (didnt like the torch at all). Android has been a great experience (although i've flashed it on my old windows mobile 6.5 device HTC HD2). I hate phones with small screens but for what you need a BB probably wudnt be half bad. You could also wait a month and see what dual core phones pop up