1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad 2 enters production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Feb 2011.

1. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

Obviously no one knows for sure until the offical launch in the coming weeks but reports such as this this and this (there is plenty more evidence on gadget sites too) strongly suggest this is the case.

2. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

Yeah really makes it worth another £600 or so

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Did I miss the memo saying it would cost £1200?

It is an upgrade. You sell your old one (if you have one), chuck in another couple of hundred and get the upgrade.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

As a current iPad (16GB 3G)owner I have to say I will 100% buy the iPad 2, probably on launch day. Loads of haters but you guys aren't apples target audience. The iPad is probably the invention of this millenium (so far).

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, it's been only a year... :rolleyes: The HP WebOS slate is looking good. Only question is price and battery life.

Honeycomb looks good also but so far we've only seen one (relatively) functional prototype by Motorola: the Xoom. And as for that free Wifi...

Yes, but you'll have to pay for it. Not only does the Motorola Xoom cost $800,-- (yup, $200,-- more for a smaller 7" device) but you have to buy a 3G data plan --that is $20,-- a month for 1Gb, or $80,-- a month for 10Gb--, even if only for one month, to 'activate' the WiFi feature.

That's right: you need to buy a data plan you don't want, to use a free service that is already included on the device. Still think it is Apple screwing you over?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  6. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I can't really argue with the rest Nexxo but the Xoom is 10.1" ;)

7. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

Where did you get £1200 pounds from, all Im saying is that a dual core cpu,maybe gfx and camera is not worth £600 or maybe more ,knowing the rip off prices apple charge.But if you want to buy one go ahead.I promise i won't laugh

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You're right, I stand corrected.

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Destroy all iPads!! Destroy all iPads!! Exterminate! Exterminate!

10. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

It aint just Apple charging these prices either, the Xoom is meant to cost circa $799 in the US which means we'll probably end up paying £7-800 over here too.

11. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

And if everyone buys these tablets at these prices,they will stay at overinflated prices. I do think tablets do have a place but not at these prices

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I really hope that ipad continues to dominate this niche market, so that other manufacturers concentrate on PC's, laptops and netbooks in 2011.

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

The fact that no other manufacturer has been able to produce a comparable product for less suggests that apple's price isn't as inflated as you think.

Of course, if you mean that spending £600 for those upgrades is too much, you have a point. However, you have to remember that apple products tend to retain their value fairly well, so anyone who already has a first-gen ipad should be able to sell it and recoup about 70-80% of the initial cost, which essentially means that the upgrade would cost them about £200.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Look at the component-prices like display, cpu, etc and then come again asking for an iPad being sold for very much less. The components of the current entry-level iPad (16GB without 3G) alone cost $300 and that doesn't include the case, the iOS, the charger or the development-costs.

There's a reason why the other manufacturers are struggeling to release competitive tablets... they simply can't offer them for much lower prices then the iPad actually and why would you buy a device from Asus or Acer that's not atleast $100 cheaper then the iPad, while having the same hardware?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  15. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

“Apple iPad 2 enters production” surprised “Foxconn upgrades bunk bed”

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I just went shopping with a friend to pick out a new laptop. We had a look at the Apple stuff and I do admit, apple products are damn sexy. Then we went and bought a Toshiba laptop for 1/2 the price and its still more feature laden than a apple notebook. The airbooks are some sweet tech. But not for $1300...

ipad 2 you say? Nah, I just want a netbook please... :)

17. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I agree that their laptops and desktops are expensive (overpriced?) for the hardware specs, but I don't think the iPad is in the same boat. As things stand the 16gb galaxy tab is virtually the same price as the top end ipad.

18. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I've noticed the same thing, Apple is pricing very aggressively in the portable market. That being said Toshiba made a windows "air" laptop with slightly better specs, and that came in at the same price point.

19. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Like the one just announced?

20. dactone

dactone dact-one

whats an i pad ? AND WHAT IS THE POINT OF IT!?

Tags: Add Tags