1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad 2 enters production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Feb 2011.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

But that's the point of Apple. Jobs hypes the launch so great that even the hardest sceptic walks out the conference carrying three in his bag and his credit card $3000 lighter and wonders what the hell just happened.

Yes we all know you can get a much cheaper, powerful alternative but you aren't buying an Apple product for that purpose.

I can't complain with what Nexxo fights in the Apple corner as he does it so well but I have to disagree with him that everyone who purchased an iPad or Apple product are happy. I'm not, I own and have owned an iPod shuffle, Touch, iPhone3 and 4 and iPad. I am not completely happy with either product. I've either sold them on or given them to family members.

As to the actual reason or use of the iPad, I think I read it on this forum somewhere:-

"iPad is for consumption while while a tablet, laptop, desktop are for production"

I probably agree with that.

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can't get much more cheaper, if you take the service into account.

Two years warranty all inclusive and software and hardware being fixed in a couple of hours in the shop around the corner instead of weeks dealing with RMA etc

Apple sells complete systems with good support and not just a piece of hardware with random OS put onto it.

3. Snips

You can't argue value for money mate. Come on!

If you had come to the discussion with quality and design then yes, it's over priced but it's what you have paid for. You can get cheaper more powerful alternatives to Apple products and you know that.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think you misunderstand me. It isn't a bad thing at all, especially not when it comes to iOS: Apple really did raise the bar a mile higher than what other smartphones were offering at the time - especially Windows Mobile (which truly was awful). Everyone else also then had to pull their socks up in order to compete; competition breeds consumer choice, and consumer choice breeds competitive pricing. Even with Mac OS X; how many Linux interfaces or Windows shells have we seen over the years that imitate the "look & feel" of OS X?

All I'm trying to say is that Apple definitely got it right and threw a shedload of marketing power behind it. The ease of use and consistency of their products combined with their very effective marketing created an extremely strong brand. A brand that is now so powerful that Apple can rely on that brand alone to shift SKUs. Of course they need to update their software/hardware offerings - consumers aren't going to keep buying the same stuff - but their products will sell on reputation alone, regardless of how good/bad people think they are.

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Okay then, show me a tablet that's as quick as the iPad but cheaper? Oh, and 9-10hrs of battery life too please.

Samsung can't make one for a lower price and Motorola definitely can't from what it looks like. The HP Touchpad looks really slick from what I've seen and if it hits the right price-point then it would be the top of my list right now if I didn't already have a tablet; of course, we're still yet to see how the iPad 2 ends up but unless someone can bring out an affordable Honeycomb device in the meantime it's a two horse race as far as I'm concerned.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

For those who were 3G owners and upgraded to 3GS or 4 - and are iPad owners looking to upgrade, let's hope the same performance increase-comparison can be made, happy days.

7. Snips

Why just show you a cheaper tablet? As I've already stated, the iPad does nothing for me. It's purely for consumption and not production.

I'll happily wait for a Win8 device than spend the large amount of money again on an iPad. I'm in no rush.

8. leveller

Because you made this statement "You can get cheaper more powerful alternatives to Apple products and you know that." as an argument against the iPad didn't you? ... didn't you? ... I think you tried to and failed?

:thumb:

9. Snips

A cheaper and more powerful alternative to an iPad is any £200 - £250 netbook. That arguement was for Apple products. If you want specifics then how about just don't buy an iPad because you more than likely already own an alternative.

Keep on trolling leveller!

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Must mean there's a new iPod Touch on the way at some point too, since they are essentially the same thing.
    Seems a bit crackers to me that people use iPad's for business use when it's just a big iPod.
    It's like nobody knows what to use it for, but they have to be seen using one, so it gets used for all sorts in an attempt to find a purpose for it.

11. leveller

Well netbooks aren't tablets ... so you failed there. This argument is nonsense.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Apple are nothing if not predictable in their releases. The new iPhone is always launched in June/July, with the iPod Touch following within a month or two (if not at the same time). There will be a new iPod Touch, but not until later in the year when the new iPhone is released ;).

The iPod Touch is basically an iPhone-without-the-phone (unless you use Skype/VOIP over a mobile Wifi connection :p) so it always follows iPhone releases.

13. Snips

The iPad isn't exactly a tablet either. Not what everyone else was calling a tablet before they released the iPad.

A large mobile phone perhaps without the call function?

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Isn't it? What would you call it?

15. Snips

"A large mobile phone perhaps without the call function?"

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

And a cardboard box is a television without the television function?

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Technically, it's a slate. Though the distinction is rather arbitrary, and probably only interesting for pedantic buggers like me :p

18. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

Hi, crazy, crackers, bonkers, stupid muppet here.

I want an iPad 2, I will be buying an iPad 2 and more to the point I'm buying it as I know I will use it a lot (as will Mrs Muppet and baby muppet).

Everything has it's place in this world, if the iPad didn't have a place then the entire technology industry wouldn't have spent the last year trying to get into the market that the iPad created. If sales had dropped off a cliff, Apple wouldn't be pressing on with the 2nd gen (and 3rd, 4th, etc) either.

Not everyone sees the point in skiing or sky diving but people still love it nonetheless! To each their own I say!

eddtox likes this.
  19. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Talk about trolling. The iPad is a tablet. Just because it does things differently to a traditional tablet pc it doesn't make it any less of one, it just happens to perform better as a touchscreen device. Likewise, just because it's a consumption device as opposed to a productivity one, it doesn't make it any less of a tablet.

If you wanna subscribe to the whole 'oversized iPhone' conspiracy theories then fine, but the iPad formula of touchscreen OS in a thin slate design is the one that pretty much everyone else will going for and the majority of opinion sides against Microsoft's decision to put Windows 7/8 on tablet devices when it has a perfectly good tablet-friendly OS already in WP7.

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

QFT +REP

My 1yr old daughter isn't too fussed about "content creation" and will probably be happy using one of the many applications designed specifically with toddlers in mind.

Tags: Add Tags