1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding recommended cable sleeving kits or methods?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ac22297, 14 Feb 2011.

1. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Got some cable sleeving to do for my mod (link in sig) but I've never done it before - I have 2 cables to do, one has a magnet or something halfway along which makes it quite wide - the other splits into 2 parts and is very thin.

I was thinking about just getting a load of heatshrink from my friendly local hardware store and blasting it with my heatgun for a while, but it occurred to me that wouldn't look all that good.

Anyone know of a good kit or similar I could get online in the UK? Better still somewhere I could get just the bits I want and the colour I want rather than a "this kit sleeves 2 IDE cables" type job?

2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

3. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

I'd use braided sleeving as suggested for the main part of the cable and then use some adhesive lined heatshrink for the ferrite core, so that it doesn't move around once you are done.

The ferrite core is there to recuce noise issues from the cable so you shouldn't remove it.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Every time you individually sleeve a cable I am going to kill a kitten.

5. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

Thanks!
    Great links, will be going with some stuff from aquatuning I think. That MDPC-X stuff is nice but I'm not that rich :)

It already has something like that around it, doesn't move around on the cable.
    I won't take it off, looks like a right pain in the arse if I do :S

that's ok, i don't like cats.
    but don't go near any puppies :nono:

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

recommended cable sleeving kits or methods?

I recommend the "getting someone else to do it" method ..

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I use extensions to avoid voiding the warranty on my PSU. As for the sleeving get MDPC- X. I love the sketches they give you!

8. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

sounds like you're talking from bitter experience there :D

lol this warranty is so void after all this modding that I doubt toshiba would even acknowledge that they made the wires in the first place XD

9. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

ac22297.. Yup.. Its a soul destroying, and my ends always pop back out when I route the wires lol

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Many people go with this option! It's a time consuming process for those who haven't done it before, and for a lot of people it's simply too fiddly/nerve wracking anyway. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this here (potentially seen as advertising?) but I do customize PSUs - With a clear run at it and as long as I have all the materials (Sleeving, heatshrink, wire, pins, connectors etc) I can do a whole PSU in two days from receiving it to having it totally finished. And that includes either powder coating or painting the shell as well.

Just throwing it out there. If Mankz knew how many cables I've individually braided on PSUs he'd fly to NI and kill me, never mind the kittens! :p :D

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

<stares at Unicorn> You need a girlfriend .. hehe..
    Kiddin