1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crytek respond to Crysis 2 leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Feb 2011.

1. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Link please?

2. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Piracy reduces game rentals, not game sales.

Therefore why are you complaining? Also I agree, have better security to stop leaks.

3. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

No

4. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Placing the responsibility on Crytek for "poor security" is just another deflection of responsibility.

"You see, officer, it's not my fault for accepting this knowingly stolen cash, because it was a bank employee who stuffed it in his pockets before passing it on to me. Therefore it was the banks' own fault and I can't be held responsible!"

Yeah, yeah I've heard the piracy != theft, the point is, you are explaining your collusion in a crime by poiniting out that, in your defense, the crime was an inside job? How does that make any sense again?

The upload was obviously not approved by Crytek*. How the hell does the identity of the uploader affect the morality of piracy? If some disgruntled janitor went into a movie studio office and uploaded a film, does that make the pirated copies of the film legit? I'd say LESS so than a user uploader - after all, a user bought at least ONE copy rather than stealing/pirating the thing from the very start.

*No, they don't need an "excuse" to exit PC gaming. They can already do whatever they want. It would have been much cheaper to just not develop a PC version like with Halo or Gears of War. No company is going to waste millions for some PR stunt, to give an "excuse" to PC gamers. That fact that many find this even plausible speaks to the conceit and entitlement on their part, that they think a company is going to waste that kind of resources in a futile attempt to satisfy their fickle and selfish whims. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2011
  5. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

deleted

Last edited: 14 Feb 2011
  6. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

i can only see sense in downloading it for the editor, and having a look at the graphics etc, or if your a massive cyrsis fan

7. VoiceHorn

VoiceHorn What's a Dremel?

Ok I will just blame the people who have downloaded it illegally. Oops, that's PC gamers. There is no justification for illegally downloading this that doesn't fall flat on its face at the first hint of scrutiny. Crytek aren't perfect, and their games certainly aren't perfect but I for one am reluctant to give them another reason to stop developing for the platform. They have been one of the few developers willing to push the limits of the hardware rather than relying on old outdated consoles. Seeing as how we are not swimming in other options I would prefer if they stuck around on our side for a while. I don't want to wait to play their game and I don't want to wait to dick around with the editor, but I will. The whole situation honestly saddens me.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Won't happen.

What the developers want is to be able to make one product and sell it across all platforms, preferably selling multiple copies to each customer. They'll never do another PC exclusive, but as long as they can still make some money selling PC copies they will. They'll also keep blaming piracy for everything since their product is so obviously perfect. :rolleyes:

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

There are many types of gamers in this scenario:

Gamers who will buy the game that have never heard of the leak.

Gamers who will buy the game that have heard of the leak, but they chose not to download a buggy/unfinished game.

Gamers who will buy the game that have heard of the leak, but they chose not to download on the basis of morals. These gamers are anti-opportunist.. oops, I mean... anti-piracy.

Gamers who will buy the game after downloading the leaked version and after playing decide that a finished copy is worth the money.

Gamers who will download the leaked game and decided that it isn't worth paying the money for a finished copy of the game.

Gamers who will download the leaked game with no intention of ever buying the game. These gamers could be pirates or just people that don't have the $$ to spend on a game.

Out of all the above scenarios... I still think actual sales will reflect the quality of the game. The whole argument that the company lost revenue due to pirating is really getting old. Leaked or not... you are going to have people that purchase the game because its worth the money and others who wont. Deal with it.

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

And if it had been one of the console versions, it would have been downloaded illegally too. Just look at the Killzone leak....

From where I'm sitting, it seems like a perfectly valid point that if Crytek (or whoever working with them) had not allowed the the game leak, this WHOLE THING wouldn't be blowing up like it is right now.... They DO share a portion of the blame. Sure, if we lived in a perfect world, no one would have downloaded it, but we don't.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2011
  11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Killzone leak.

That and saying piracy causing the leak of your demo is akin to saying it was your neighbor who lost your dog when you let it out.

12. Cthippo

I doubt any of it really matters. Except for a few people who would have bought the game and are now going to play the pirated version, decide it sucks, and not buy the full version, I can't see this making any difference. Those who were going to buy it will still buy it and those who were going to download it are just going to get it a few weeks earlier. Some of the hardcore fans may get impatient and download it first, but I suspect most of them will still purchase it in the end. Can we please put this tempest back in it's teapot and move on with life?

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

you forgot gamers who don't download it wait for the review/demo and don't buy it because its guff.

14. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Cording to the feedback from the demo crysis 2 is a bit meh! Think crytek have been coasting on stunning graphics for a while and forgetting about game play. I await the bit tech review.

ill be waiting till it drops in price.

As for piracy. Its always gonna happen. Get over it and make the game better so we have to buy it to play online or co op.

15. VoiceHorn

VoiceHorn What's a Dremel?

Well, that's completely irrelevant now isn't it, because that's NOT what happened. When it is illegally released on consoles then yes you can blame THOSE console owners who download it too. As of now, the PC version is leaked. PC Gamers are illegally downloading it. PC gamers are to blame.

16. Cthippo

Insulting people who disagree with you is not appreciated round here, mmmmkay?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Flaming others is not acceptable here.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I haven't been keeping up with what's out lately.. might have to play it to see what's up- the editor sounds like fun

maybe there will be player made maps made by release.. bought the first crysis for 50 bucks on release.. probably buy this one too if it's not console catering

like the new marvel vs capcom.. talk about button smashing your way to a win.. I was owning up at best buys earlier though xD too easy

if it's anything like that.. and gunsmith isn't making videos because it sucks so bad- why would you buy that

Tags: Add Tags