1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Portal 2- PS3 or Windows?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 18 Feb 2011.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hey guys,

trying to decide on Portal for PS3 or windows but can't decide. Which would you go for and why?

2. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

three things that spring to mind

1) price, pretty sure portal is around a tenner cheaper on pc.

2) friends, since co-op mode is a biggie and your friends are predominantly on one platform get it on that one.

3) control input, since you have them both you probably don't mind the controller, personally i like the keyboard and mouse for FPS style games.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

ps3 version is £40, but also comes with a free version for the PC.. and you get split screen with PS3....

you can currently get portal 2 for £24 off steam.. making is considerably cheaper and thats what ill be getting, as im not interested in split screen on my PS3, dont like people in my room :p

Iv been told PC and PS3 can play online together as multi platform? is this right?.. if so, im going have to avoid playing with PS3 users :(

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

If you get the Windows title for free....that's a tough one. However if it was a straight up choice I would say Windows, just incase any content is released for it, the chances are on Windows the content will be low priced or free, I very much doubt that will be the same on other platforms.

Teelzebub likes this.
  5. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Yeah you link your PS3 network account with your Steam account and you can download the PC/Mac version. I was thinking of getting the PS3 version but I will never play it anyway on PS3 so no point

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

There's one very important factor as far as I'm concerned: GRAPHICS

16xAF and 16xAA, not to mention high quality textures and (hopefully) ambient occlusion.

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

PC

no contest there. Why even ask ? Especially on this forum, where I am active

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

9. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

if the PS3 version has a free copy of PC I will get that. I play socially enough on my PS3. Also depends on price, if that version for the PS3 is some crazy price I'll just get the PC version and be done with it.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Since you can play with your PS3 friends even on the PC version, that removes the sole reason you might want to buy it for the PS3 over the PC. It doesn't really matter if the PS3 version comes with a free copy for the PC because I would never play the PS3 version anyway, so I would end up spending £40 on the PC version instead of the £24 I have already bought it for.

11. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Easy. Buy the PS3 version and get the free PC copy, then sell the PS3 version for almost full price.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Buy the PS3 version and you get both.

Obvious choice is obvious.

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No one is going to pay full price for a second hand game, especially if you've already taken the free PC copy. You might get £25 or so for it, which just about covers the pre-order cost of the PC version. Not worth the hassle IMO.

14. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

screen ? Do you have a better monitor for your PC or tv for your PS3 ? or do you use both for the same thing?

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I've ordered the PS3 version, as it means I get all three copies. I know people who'll be happy to play split-screen.

16. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I got the impression you had to link your PSN account with your Steam account to get the free Win/Mac version, so you couldnt just sell on the PS3 version. I think its the first PS3 game to feature steam works, which means no second hand sales! Could be wrong though....

17. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

This, oh god this.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I don't think it's been confirmed yet, but there's a small chance that might be the case. While I'm pretty sure you will have to link your PSN account to your Steam account to get the free PC version, it remains to be seen whether the actual PS3 copy will be linked to that single PSN account, as you are able to play every other PS3 game on multiple PSN accounts.

19. Smoothsmith

Smoothsmith What's a Dremel?

I'm personally going to purchase it for the PS3 because i'm more likely to be able to play it socially with people sometime.

Plus it comes with a PC copy so == win :)

20. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

It's kind of a hard choice. Of course the PC version is cheaper, but maybe the PS3 version justifies the price difference with the PC also included. I'm also thinking of getting the PS3 version to support this decision to use steam on PS3 and cross-platform play.