1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone FT03 build (now turning into post your pics of FT03 builds thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 8 Feb 2011.

1. jonnym

jonnym What's a Dremel?

Good stuff Da_Rude... nice tidy build! For me, using a Strider with the PP-05 seems a no brainer - but Da_Rude is far better qualified to answer that.

Thanks for the link to the Chiphell pics, Da_Rude, saw those already. What I was after is the actual measurement between the CPU fan bracket & the shroud of the top out-take fan - I'm not a big fan of guesswork. Shame Silverstone doesn't provide a schematic!

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Sure. I'm out tonight so so I wont be able to take the photo until tomorrow evening though. The short cable kit made a difference but its not a deal breaker. Take a look at this picture from the Bit-Tech review and compare it to mine. They used a Seasonic which I believe is semi modular and they have a lot of cables where the HDD's go. I was hesitant about buying the Strider as they are not a model I am familiar with but the Strider series have all received good reviews from JohnyGuru.com. I'm do not know if the short cable kit will fit other PSU's but the connectors look to be the same as the Corsair series.

Do you mean the distance between the intake and out take fans when fitted? Lankius had clearance issues with his heatsink and fan combination but it overhung the first ram slot. If the HR-02 leaves all the ram slots clear it must be able to fit? I'm not particularly happy with the performance of the Skali so I will probably replace it next month.

3. jonnym

jonnym What's a Dremel?

Hey D_R. I mean the length of the narrowest point between the removable angled CPU fan bracket and the shroud of the top 120mm out-take fan. If you think of those two as the pieces of bread, then the cpu cooler and RAM are the filling in the sandwich (weird analogy I know, but hopefully makes sense as per your 2nd photo).

Unless I'm missing something, the size of this area is as important as the other two dimensions we know about (height of cooler not exceeding 167mm/width of cooler not protruding more than 5mm over RHS mobo). It is, after all, a three dimensional space - so strange that Silverstone makes no reference to it!

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The story so far:

[​IMG]

I'm teaching my brother how to build computers, and this is his first build. Everything done so far has been his own work (with my guidance).

For anyone using the Hyper 212 Plus cooler with Vengeance RAM, the stock fan does overhang the first slot, making it impossible to fit the DIMMs there. We easily solved this by using the black slots instead of the blue ones, and a slimmer fan would probably fit there perfectly.

More coming soon!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

5. ashtefere

ashtefere What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. Do you think a thermalright shaman could fit on a GPU in there?

-Ash

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yep, the case has four slots as needed by the cooler (according to the product's page), so it will fit in. I can't comment on how much clearance for airflow that cooler will get though.

7. AHeilemann

AHeilemann :-)

Just remember that the Shaman doesn't have external exhaust, so much of the hot air is gonna hit your CPU and hurt your overclock.... if you're into to that sort of thing :)

8. ashtefere

ashtefere What's a Dremel?

Yeah, my idea is to cut a 140mm hole in the back, mount a fan to it, then duct the shaman to the fan.

Should suck out the air through the gpu fins for happy times.

-Ash

9. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

My design is still better! For those that understand!

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

We've just finished now. My brother certainly has a knack for getting things working first time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

11. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Nice build. I'm finding most of my fan noise originates with the case GPU cooler (angled bottom left) as it is plugged directly into the mobos 'pwr' soket and so doesn't benefit from from the throttling that the other channels provide. Its at a constant 1300 rpm compared to the 600-800 rpm of the rest. Going to try whacking in a fan controller to lower the speed to a constant 900 or try an after market brand that offers the same speeds but at a lower volume.

What graphics card did you go for?

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Same here but I'm going to see if I can find a Y cable and run two fans off one header. I don't like EFI, I can never find what i'm looking for.

13. AHeilemann

AHeilemann :-)

Which graphics cards are you guys using? I would have thought the GPU made the most noise...

14. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Graphics card is a KFA2 GTX 560 EX OC. The fans on that are practically inaudible at idle.

Since taking that photo, I've removed the intake fan since it wasn't allowing the left panel to fit on properly, and was putting a slight amount of stress on the heatsink. This has allowed me to plug the GPU fan into the chassis fan header instead of the power fan header, so the system is much quieter now.

15. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Like wise the KFA2. The fans only spin at around 60% at most so it is very quiet. Most noise I ever get is on World of Tanks and my understanding is thats a processor hog. Flight Sim X with all the bells and whistles barely changes the noise level at all.

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Sorry for the delay in responding but my home time has been taken up wrestling with a linux server. I hate linux. :D

Roughly 115mm. I only had a ruler to hand so give a margin for error around that. From the back edge of the fan it was roughly 140mm.

I apologise for the darkness of my photo's but my computer desk is in an alcove and doesn't receive much light. It nice for using a screen in but rubbish for taking photo's.

[​IMG]

17. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Looks impressive guys, i guna be waiting for the rv03. Any word on a release date for this yet?

How is the kfa2 560ti? As this is the 560ti card i'm looking at getting, but wanted some real life testing of the card. Is it noisy? Does it overclock well? Thanks

Last edited: 24 Feb 2011
  18. jonnym

jonnym What's a Dremel?

Hey Da-Ruud. Thanks a lot for that - really appreciate it! Funnily enough, I got a reply from Silverstone this morning as well:

"Thank you for your interest in SilverStone.

Regarding your question, sorry for that we couldn’t provide the detail drawing of FT03 to you.
    About the distance of top 120mm fan between the middle 120mm fan,
    You could refer to the attachment photo, it was around 125mm.
    Suggest the cooler does not over 120mm."

[​IMG]

Hope this helps anyone with a similar predicament on size of CPU cooler.

There really isn't much space to play with. Worth bearing in mind that the CM Hyper 212+ is a relatively very 'slim' cooler at 120x77(inc.fan)x158.5mm (LxWxH). Much 'fatter' than that, and you are basically looking at sacrificing the CPU fan bracket.

Hmm... I have to admit I've also been taking a good look at the FT02! Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, thanks again Da_Ruud. Much appreciated :thumb:

19. jonnym

jonnym What's a Dremel?

Sorry, that image isn't very helpful. Try again:

[​IMG]

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I was buying some quiet fans for my old rig and some how a Thermalright HR-02 found it's way into my basket. :D

Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.