1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PCGA: PC piracy is declining

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Feb 2011.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Buying anything second hand poses a risk to the buyer, it's normally a trade off between between the price of buying it new versus the possibility of it not working for very long or being completely broken.

I for one would never buy something like a motherboard second hand unless I knew them personally or it was a friggin steal

You pays yer money, ya takes yer chance... oooaarrrRR

2. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

@Whirly Well said mate, I agree with everything you say especially the "kick in the guts" but I think its more like balls. Fingers crossed things will change in the way you said.

3. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I have nothing worthwhile to say except that picture about downloading a bear made me actually laugh for a good 2 minutes at work...for that alone this news piece is top class

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Presumably piracy is falling because PC gaming is dying on its arse. I just walked through Game. One shelf.

I've been here before, with Amigas, and I fear the only way is down.

5. musicrab

musicrab What's a Dremel?

As already said, fewer PC games = less piracy; although it'll probably go up again with some new releases coming:- Crysis 2, Deux Ex 3, Portal, Duke Nukem...

6. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Steam is great for those with a large bandwidth usage allowance for those at the bottom of the scale, it's simply not going to be an option and to get charged over the odds for going above the allotted usage ends up in some high per/GB charges. Those with any form of mobile broadband wont find 10GB+ downloads much fun at all.

In principle tho, Steam is exceptionally good at what it does.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

unlike Amigas, PC hardware is always evolving.

the only thing you can declare dying is physical copies for PC games.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That's a shame too. In the first place, I'm not exactly overjoyed about the idea that installing a PC game from a DVD requires the publisher's servers to be working at the point of install.

I'm even less sanguine about the idea that we're now renting licenses temporarily from publishers whose servers are required even to get the game content.

One day Steam will vanish, and all those people currently gargling Valve's man-parts will look very silly when, on a world scale, what must be hundreds of millions of pounds' worth of software instantly evaporates. And no, when Valve goes bust, the receivers will not care that everyone lost all their games.

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

That and GAME's business model. Who would go to a High street retailer for new games when you can get them cheaper from e-tailers, pre-ordered and delivered on the day of release?

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

1. Valve just made a insane amount of profit so are unlikely to go bust.

2. Seriously, who here honestly can't afford an unlimited bandwidth connection nowadays?

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

TBH. The only reason I don't pirate games is that it's easier to by them on steam during the sales.There is no cracks, auto-update and steam cloud. The other reason being Multi-Player.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

1. Unlikely is not the same as impossible. I agree, the odds of it occurring are up there along side the probability that my nose hairs will spontaneously burst in to flame the next time I sneeze. However, that does not mean that it can't happen as we don't know what will happen down the line. Personally I can't see them going anywhere unless they change out of recognition.

2. It very much depends on where you are. My home exchange has no LLU, no ADSL max and so no unlimited bandwidth at a reasonable speed and price. I rely on an old pre fair use po0licy contract where I exchange speed for bandwidth but it can take me several days non-stop to download a game from Steam. The UK are still a wee bit behind where broadband is concerned, especially if you live in a more rural area.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Valve has already said that they would release a patch to allow you to play the games if steam went down permanently.

14. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I lol'd so hard a bit of wee came out

15. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Amen. Unlike a book if I' know very little about about it I can't thumb through the first few chapters to decide whether If it's good or bad, or simply will I like it or not.

Phil Rhodes apparently. Valve needs to build a next level candy bacon breakfast fortress to keep the haters out.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2011
  16. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Well I currently liv on a rather large estate in Hampshire that doesnt have fibre optic broadband and has such a pitiful internet connection i STRUGGLE to get above half a meg download speed. This despite the fact in my previous home I could achieve and did have a 20meg download speed.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

finally someone who gets it.. there's plenty of paying customers who want convenience- why the consoles are so popular

if they can do that for pc.. it would be the same or even better if pre builts weren't so outrageously expensive

18. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

dude, It's affordability not availability, it's okaypeople who live on large estates get those two concepts mixed up all the time.

19. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

You misunderstand my point? I was saying that in reference to the previous comment that everyone should be able to afford good broadband to download from Steam, that sometimes its not affordability thats the issue, but the fact that the required broadband capability simply ISNT available, no matter how much money you want to throw at it.

:sigh:

20. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

What does that even mean? What do you even think a large estate is? It could be a large council estate where nobody has any money, or could be a large posh estate with £800,000+ houses that has people with lots of money. His point as he just explained is that you can either have it or you can't unless.

Tags: Add Tags