1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin 100MB Service, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom @ CCL, 22 Feb 2011.

1. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Hopefully someone here with experience of Virgin Media will be able to answer my question. :)

Moving from a DSL only area into one which can have the 100MB Virgin service and wondering if it is worth it.

Currently get the full 20MB/sec DSL speed and it is normally up to scratch but I do partake in a lot of internet TV streaming and movie downloads over iTunes. Don't do anything with my internet connection you would consider shady.

The other use I use my internet connection for quite a lot is uploading and downloading files to my NAS from work. Transfer speed is crucial for this so I can have the files I was working on at work ready to continue by the time I get home. These can be 100mb/200mb in size at times and are only set to increase.

Question is, would I see benefit going from my 20mb service with o2 to the 100MB Virgin or do I need my head looking at and save a bit of cash and go for the 30mb service as it would do just fine.

Thanks for any advice, im at a loss with this fandangled cable connection!

2. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Well, in general 20mb gives about 2mb download speed. So, 100mb would give a massive 10mb. Pretty awesome if you can afford it and download lots.
    If I could afford it i would love the 100mb, bare in mind I download games which can be 7gb-15gb in size. But even a 7.5gb doesn't take more than a couple of hours (I only have 10mb)

Honestly though, at the size of files you are downloading I would have said 100mb was major overkill. Those work files at 20mb should be taking just a couple minutes to complete.

One thing to consider though is what else the 30 or 100mb offers you. For example, the 10mb and 20mb service does limit your speeds during peak times (usually around 8 in the evening for a couple hours), I don't know if the larger packages from Virgin have the same limitations or if you would be a 'priority' customer and always hae fast times.

3. Tom @ CCL

Ahh that is something I did not consider with the priority of the line, im used to the top package O2 do with 2.0MB/Sec upload so don't encounter any traffic shaping or speed limits.

Are you on the Virgin 10MB service?

4. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

asteldian - it depends how far you are from the telephone exchange. I have 24mb and i get 11Mb and i am about 1mile from the exchange.

1. Check where you are from exchange
    2. Check the contention for the service you are paying for

What i would say is that if you are not very far from it possibly going with a smaller ISP is better as they don't have lots of people fighting for the bandwidth. my contention ratio is 20:1

5. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Always worth giving Virgin a ring and trying to barter on the price, you never know sometimes they do give good deals.

6. Tom @ CCL

With Virgin Cable I believe it works slightly differently to your typical ADSL connection.

Currently can see the exchange from my living room window and get speeds over what O2 sell me at my router.

7. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

I have the 10mb Virgin service.
    It is cable so there should not be any issue with distance. I have always had superior connection with cable than when using BT or Sky etc. I have no complaints with my speeds as I get what I expect all day, except for a few hours where instead of about 1.17mb download I drop to about 257 (but I know this happens and expect it as alot of providers 'cap' you at certain times).

Last edited: 22 Feb 2011
  8. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

9. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I've got the Virgin 50Mb connection, and get download speeds of 6MBps (note the capital B for Byte, rather than bit) quite happily, though this is dependant on the source more than anything else. At this rate, I can download a tv show in about 30 seconds, a sd film in under 2 minutes, an HD film in under 15 minetes, and even the biggest of games in under half an hour (again, depending on the source, steam sometimes only wants to give me 2-3MBps, but when it plays nicely i can hit ~6MBps)

I really think that 100MBps is overkill. Don't get me wrong, if Virgin were to rock up at my house and offer it to me for no additional cost, I'd happily take it, but I think that the speed I have at the moment is as fast as I could really need, and I download a lot (damn you steam, killing my bank balance).

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Couldn't be happier with 50Mb Virgin Service.

+1

Like Ed, I can't see the need for 100Mb (at the moment), considering the extra outlay.

11. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

This wouldn't apply to the 100Mb line, like it doesn't with the 50Mb lines currently.

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm actually thinking of just getting the broadband package from Virgin. I guess they can do just broadband, right? Or do I need a telephone from them like I do with ADSL/BT?

13. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

hahaha good luck with that i have tried about 20 times and failed

14. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

They both do actually. Just fibre can go for miles. Cable does experience signal loss though because it is coax cable which does experience signal loss with every foot of the cable depending on the frequency of signal

15. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I would avoid virgin media like the plague we were with them and had countless problems with many useless excuses for them,one of my friends is getting his speed throttled despite only downloading the occassional game mod only around once every 2 months or so and being on the maximum package virgin provide thier excuse is hes too far from the exchange,he actually lives right next door to the exchange so close in fact he could drill a hole in his wall straight into the exchange so that excuse is bs and thier so called unlimited package has an FUP dont these companies understand the english language unlimited means no limit it seems B sky B seem to be the only isp that understand that fact

16. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

my virgin experience has been sweet. pretty much get 20mb speeds all the time other than peak times (somewhere along 4pm-10pm I THINK) . as far as I'm aware the 50mb doesnt have a fair use policy (some people have said that there is a hidden one but only kicks in if people are downloading 1.5tb a month constantly lol). 20 should be enough, 100 probably too much. You could go for 50. Im not too sure of the upload speeds of the packages though

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

You can get the cable broadband without getting the phone through them as well, there is no link. The cable connection is a coax that will be run from the nearest green box in your street (assuming they are in your area) up to your house. It will go through the wall to a terminator connection, from there into a cable modem.

If you get the Virgin TV, Internet & Phone (triple play), you can get a discount but this will put all of your eggs in one basket. I had it for a while but cancelled the phone part when I had problems that aren't relevant to this conversation.

18. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

I've had no issues with Virgin so am a big fan, I get everything from them except my mobile. As far as i am concerned 50mb is more than enough and I would love to get that if I could afford it - not for the speed (as 20mb would be plenty for me) but simply to not be limited by the fair user policy.

If you want deals with Virgin you cannot just call up and say 'give me a discount' you have to slap them in the face with Sky. I pointed out that Sky were offering me the same stuff for less (even though their internet sucks) so there was no reason to stay with Virgin. They then lowered my monthly cost.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

That's good to know. I had a quick check and they do their 50mbit/sec service to my house. A quick live chat later online and I have been told my address would get a lowest run of 46mbit/sec, so I'm SORELY tempted :D

20. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

...but this is negated due to the fact that everyone has their own personal "exchange" or green box in lament terms?

I would guestimate the coax between our green box and cable modem to be roughly 30m's. I would get no difference in speed if this was shorter, but I assume I would have a better ping? What is the signal loss per m?