1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Get Custom PC on your iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 22 Feb 2011.

1. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

You can still make money on it after Apple half inch their 30%?

I'll be sticking to my paper copy. It's just much more satisfying to read than an electronic copy.
    [That, and the fact I have Android , not iOS ;) ]

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I find all electronic reading less interesting and more tiring than real, in your hands, paper copy.

That and you can also wipe your arse with it if you have no toilet paper in the woods.

Not that you'd be able to get a signal in the woods anyway to download a copy before you wipe your arse on your iphone. :)

3. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

I don't agree with the pricing scheme, It should be free for those subscribed to the paper version. I'm one of those who want a paper mag (and im subscribed to it), but would also like the option to read on the go from time to time, and paying for the same info isn't right. Granted, those who just want the electronic copy would pay the digital subscription, but it should be free for those who already paid for the info in the hard copy, and granting them that same info electronically (an extra download doesn't add cost) seems only fair. That digital business model (which is still profitable due to digital-only subscription fee+increased adoption of paper mag) is used by a large number of publishers out there, it's the right approach.

4. Kaiwan

Kaiwan Shinigami

I really like the idea but I don't see a reason to buy it twice. Other than being more discrete in work :p

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Quick question. If we were to buy cpc through this app would we be able to make a backup of the magazine on our pc's (or macs)?

6. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

The service works like Steam afaik, and you can have up to five devices all tied to the same account:
    http://support.pixel-mags.com/kb/purchasing/sync

I think the files for the issues are for iDevices only though, but it only a takes a minute to download an issue over a decent WiFi connection.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This, please.

I know that the Zinio model offers a PDF version, but that would probably work pretty poorly on the Kindle. Even text-only PDFs can be a bit of a pain.

Please release a Kindle version, properly formatted for the device, and don't skimp on the pics! I know the Kindle only has a greyscale screen, but it really bugs me when newspapers/mags omit the images. Especially when the text references the pictures...

Oh and please don't turn this into a Kindle-bashing session.

8. adidan

Do people use these?

I don't mean that to sound sarcastic BTW, I'm just curious as it's never appealed to me and I'd be surprised if the market was big enough to make it worthwhile.

Mind you, it's not like I'm never surprised. :D

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Kindle is a hot selling product and i see it plenty of times on the tube. Good stuff, looking forward to subscribing when I get my iPhone 5/iPad2...

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just got one at the weekend - it's an incredible piece of kit. I'm already sold on the idea of ebooks - was sold on these over 8 years ago - so the Kindle was a natural progression I guess. The screen really is that good - in fact, it's better than that. Having my newspapers and magazines delivered automatically to it before I even wake up is another great benefit.

I think it's more the idea of ebooks that people object to, rather than the Kindle. People keep trotting out the same tired old arguments: you can't read it in the bath, I prefer the feel/smell of real pages, a book is something tangible, etc etc etc... Frankly that's a load of romanticised nonsense, as far as I'm concerned. Just look at the convenience and portability factor: sure, having lots of books is great, but try carrying round 5 or 6 programming manuals, several magazines, a newspaper and your favourite fiction books at the same time.

11. adidan

I can see both sides TBH. I love to have a book in my hand, the same way I still like to own games with manuals. :D

That said, if I was on the train for 2 hours everyday I would see the appeal of having an ebook as it is far more portable.

I don't think one is better than the other TBH, I think they're both good for different situations. Like I say, on a train everyday, or being in a situation where I need loads of reading, I can see the appeal of an ebook.

That said, laying in a hammock in Finland in the summer I wouldn't swap my books. :D

12. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Clarification To clarify the pricing outlined in the article, the first issue of Custom PC bought via Pixel Mags is free. However, the Pixel Mags app itself costs £1.19.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I agree, been a subscriber for many years and would be nice to read on the go.

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

they still need to fix Zino rip off prices its costs more then the hard copy (Zino prices are Ex Vat most other mags listed on there seem to know this and set there price correctly), i should stop my hard sub in protest just for that alone

15. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

I had a play with the (free) latest version - loads better than Zino.

I'm be cancelling my paper subscription and reading this on my iPad istead. Job's a good'un. (I mean 'tne job' not Steve...lol)

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm considering buying the app, but I'm a little confused about pricing.. What does £2.99 for each issue end up costing in dollars?

17. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Hey all, thanks for all the feedback - v useful for other digital projects we've got going on.

Just wanted to ask anyone that uses the Pixel Mags app to leave a user review with the App Store - this is all new stuff, so the more we understand about what you want, the better we'll be able to deliver in the future!

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'd buy and review it if I knew how much I'd be spending per issue..

19. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

OK, liking this a lot so far, missus just brought me a cuppa in bed and I'm looking forward to reading the new edition without having to leave the house or pay £4.50. Can't really see a downside.

So, do I buy the mag each month on Pixel Mags, or does each edition get pushed out to me and charged automatically?

20. iworld

iworld What's a Dremel?

What about Android?

Tags: Add Tags