1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple New MBPs, Lightpeak = Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 23 Feb 2011.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so it replaces miniDP or there's miniDP on the other side? or it doubles as mini-DP?

i5 with Intel 3000 graphics? sounds like a K chip, overclocking a Macbook?

3. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

I have seen some other places reporting that the new Mac Book Pros will be using Lightpeak. To me though, seems a slightly pointless addition atm, especially since that the linked article refers to it as the low end model. All it is going to do is add extra costs on to the price for a port that has very few supported peripherals, and for a while, peripherals that do support it will have a steep price tag.

And while a K series would be pretty cool, I think it's more likely the i5 2410M.;)

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Seems that the "Thunderbolt" port is both Light Peak and MDP. So if you just want to connect a display, you use that MDP>DVI adapter you've got kicking around, and if you want to connect up external devices LP allows daisy-chaining. Quite an elegant solution really, two ports in one.

Intel graphics are bit meh, but Apple have no choice as they can't stick with C2D any longer. I'm more interested in what happens to the Air at the next refresh, and the rumoured 8-16GB SSDs as boot drives in the 15/17" MBPs.

5. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Oh dear was hoping to have an upgrade but does not look likely. :(

Wish they had squeezed in dual VGA cards or something like that to allow the chip to partake in a bit more intensive gaming. :(

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The 15 and 17s will get discrete GPUs, but the 13" has always been the cripple of the family.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

New MBPs are out. Apparently it's not a USB3 hybrid as the USB committee don't want anybody else using their designs, and Apple made MDP a free license.

8. GreatOldOne

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ine_with_next_gen_cpu_gputhunderbolt_i_o.html

9. GreatOldOne

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ook_pros_with_quad_core_i7_cpus_amd_gpus.html

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

underwhelming. 13in macbook air has a 1440x900 display where the 13in macbook *PRO* has a 1280x800 display?

it looks to me like a bare minimum spec bump to deplete stockpiles of parts. Will hold onto my cash until the next round.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

IIRC most of the mobile SB (i5 and i7) processors come with the HD3000 GPU instead of the 2000GPU.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The new 13" MBP looks super tempting.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

15" Macbook pro with 2.2GHz Quad and ATI - 2149€. Right, ok, uhm... I think i will pass this one.

14. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

13 Inch

I dont think the 13inch has ever been a cripple. I had the money to buy a 17inch but chose against it and bought the 13inch out of preference. i wanted a portable mac but i didn't want to carry a external disk drive the logical choice there is the 13inch..? The mac i have just now handles whatever i throw at it. Which to be honest is usually just some football manager, minecraft, some word and internet at uni. 4Gb of RAM and a dual core is fine dont think ill be upgrading anytime soon.

15. wyx087

what is the practicality of this Thunderbolt port on desktops? a displayport will always be connected, so no place for peripherals. then if it's the same sized port, then it'd create confusion for people on desktop units.

i don't like this combined approach. it makes DP even more confusing for new comers to this interface. just standarise mini-DP as outputs and we should all be fine!

16. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Will almost definitely be getting a 17" one, but windows will still be main OS I use, just need Mac for some of the software required at Uni. Their statement of not needing one because you can use the lab machines is BS if you want to get any work done...

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

It's a daisy-chainable bus. You can connect your monitor to it, and then all your hard drives to _that_, without losing any speed.

Thunderbolt is being pushed as a natural successor to DP - it's backwards compatible and will be *forwards* compatible with faster thunderbolt protocols too. In other words: TBH, it's pretty awesome.

18. wyx087

what happens on older monitors what can't daisy-chain?

where would it go? oh graphics cards? doubt Intel will sell this to nvidia/AMD, on motherboards? confusing with mini-DP on graphics cards......

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The 13" MBP has always been a slightly upgraded MacBook, and had stripped-down features compared to its bigger brothers. Apple don't offer Anti-Glare as a BTO for the screen, it lacks discrete graphics, etc etc. It's a great machine for those who want to do simple(ish) tasks and some light gaming in a small package, but it's stuck at the bottom of the lineup with all the sacrifices that means.

There's demand for a high-end 13" MBP too. One that costs more, but provides more power and features.

Thunderbolt looks great, as long as it gets market penetration and support. USB 3.0 looks like a pile of rubbish compared to it, especially as the 10Gbps is actual bandwidth rather than theoretical.

Also makes "docking" a laptop incredibly easy.

20. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Shouldn't it be "lightning bolt"?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk