1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Help find specific sized bolt

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 24 Feb 2011.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Howdy

Hoping there's someone out there better at finding bolts, am after a high tensile 11mm spline bolt/stud

Like one on the left, I have the bolt on the right, it's too small.

[​IMG]

it's used in a gearbox but am told can use a wheel stud

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

What car is it for?

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Golf mk4 1.6 gearbox, rivets snapped, VW will happily sell me the upgrade kit for a tad over £100

4. GreatOldOne

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Thanks but the the spline diameter needs to 7/16ths (11mm) diameter

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Would these be any use?

7. GreatOldOne

Ok, so what is the bolt diameter and thread pitch?

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Just looked at those, google says these are 13.1mm spline diameter

The thread and bolt diameter is not important as long as I can get bolts for it, spline length needs to be at least half inch

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This might sound stupid, but have you tried a scrappy? I'm sure there's plenty of 4's breaking out there, or is it a classic "use a new one"? :(

10. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Scrappy, i love them places but bare in mind it's a kit for a gearbox fault, so I'd have to strip gearboxes just to look if one has the kit in it.

And I doubt if I ask for a 11mm wheel stud they wouldn't have clue what car would have one

Appreciate all the help here, been at this for a while, new gearbox is in bits waiting for the bolts

Link to why needed

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why can't you use a normal bolt with a locking nut (triangular hole, not nylon)?

After all, the original rivet doesn't have a spline.

The alternative is to have one made, but finding someone to make it in high tensile material may be difficult.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

A normal bolt in a gearbox, no thanks, the rivets that were still in there took 5 different HSS drill bits to get out and a total of 8 hours drilling, thats 1 hour per stud, these need too be high tensile steel.

Having them made would be expensive.

Basically I get get the kit for £100 of VW, thats alot of money for a few bolts, trying to save money and help the VW community who have and will have same problem

14. GreatOldOne

So get some high tensile ones - 10.9 or 12.9 if you're feeling belt and braces

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

10.9mm might work, where can I get them, I think not knowing exactly what I need doesn't help

16. GreatOldOne

10.9 is the grade of bolt - HT bolts start at 8.8 grade, and go up - getting stonger as the . code increases. Most bolts on your car will be 8.8, but things like wheel bolts, propshaft flange bolts, brake caliper mounting bolts and flywheel bolts will be 10.9

Have a look here - there's all sorts - but these are UNF 7/16th High Tensile. Because they're imperial, the grade is given as S (Grade 'S' is 50/55 Tons/square inch)

http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_U_N_F__HT_Hex_Head_Bolts_18.html

I believe S is equivilant to 8.8 HT bolts.

You could always ring them up and ask if they do something like a 7/16th bolt in 10.9, but I think you'd be ok with 8.8. The propshaft in Vikki is bolted to the gearbox and the diff using 8.8's, and it's fine.

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I was going to suggest a PM to you - our resident Built My Own Damn Car guy.

john

18. GreatOldOne

About the only other thing I could suggest if you're not happy with 8.8 bolts is to use some socket headed screws in 10.9 or 12.9...

http://www.thomassmithfasteners.com/socket_screws_shop.html

OR

You could enlarge the holes in the diff and final drive to the next standard metric size up (M12) and just get some M12 10.9 bolts

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Do you have the Volkswagen kit part number? I'd look for it on some German sites.

20. GreatOldOne

One more thing - depending on how thick the two parts are that are to be fastened together, you may find you can't get a bolt the correct size that has a shoulder (unthreaded portion under the head) short enough to sit below the top of the parts it's passing though - meaning that you'd never be able to tighten the fastner up as the nut would hit the shoulder before the surface of the part.

If this is the case, you'd need a set-screw, or the socket head screws I suggested earlier. These have no shoulder, and have thread all the way to the head / cap of the fastner.

That't the difference chaps. If it's completely threaded, it's screw.
    If it isn't, and has an unthreaded portion under the head, it's a bolt.

I'll get me coat. :geek:

BTW - a whole luchtime of googling for imperial sized bolts in grades higher than 8.8 have turned up nowt - except stupidly long or wierd headed tractor / plough bolts... So I think you'll have to either use 8.8 or S grade imperial fastners, or slightly enlarge the holes as I said and use higher grade metric fastners. Or put your hand in your pocket and get the VW kit.

And TBH, looking at what comes in the kit (8 Bolts of the correct size and grade, 8 Nuts the same grade as the bolts, special load spreading washers / plates), it's not looking that expensive. How much is the hassle factor of hunting down alternatives worth?