1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC How to connect HD6850 with Analog TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShahJahan, 25 Feb 2011.

1. ShahJahan

ShahJahan What's a Dremel?

Hello.

I wish to connect my HD6850 Graphics card to my old 21.5" TV. The TV has analog TV aerial plug and 3 pin RCA connectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish to have both the Audio and Video from the TV. So what do I need to accomplish it? I think only HDMI is able to carry both audio-video signals. So will a cable with HDMI on one end and 3-pin RCA on the other end will give me Audio-Video from my TV? If not, then what else would I need?

Also, my card's one DVI is used by my PC monitor, so will it be able to use another port for connection? I have heard that some cards are incapable of using both DVI or one DVI and one HDMI at the same time?

My Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Link
    Motherboard: ASRock M3A785GXH Link
    GPU: ASUS 1GB 256-bit Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU Link
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Link

Thank you for your help.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You could have a cable with HDMI on one end and 3 RCA on the other, HOWEVER, there has to be an digital to analogue converter in the middle. Or at least I think that's correct.

We used to sell them in the shop I work in and they around £50, not sure if this was overpriced or not.

And I do believe you should be able to use a DVI and HDMI at the same time, I know I can on my lowly 5770 lol

Last edited: 25 Feb 2011
  3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

As noizdaemon666 said, you could get a HDMI to Composite converter like this

I must warn you though, the picture quality will probably be pretty poor. I hope this helps :)

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you could use a DVI to VGA adapter then use a VGA to composite converter but its rather expensive to do it.

the reason for this is VGA is red, blue, green + H-sync + V-sync

[​IMG]

like this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-vga-to-composite-or-s-video-67CJ.html

careful with cables like this as they ONLY work if your Grpahics card supports TV out through VGA

[​IMG]

personally id say its not worth it as its a faff

you could buy a older GPU from ebay or something that has TV-out on the card

EDIT- for got to add PC to TV looks AWFUL truely truely awful

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Damn you Lancer778544, I was just about to add a link :hehe:

Oh and just to echo what Lancer and Adam Bagpuss said, it ain't gonna look too good.

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It's gonna look terrible. The resolution will be less than 800x600 (something x 571 or thereabouts). I'd just get a cheap set of speakers and a cheap 19" monitor; do some justice to that 6850 of your's.

7. ShahJahan

ShahJahan What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your replies. I guess that buying a new TV with HDMI will be the best option. But it is something I don't wish to do in the near future coz if I'm buying, I'd buy a 47" or bigger and I nether have money, nor space (as of now!) to accommodate it.

Thanks for the help though :)