1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Newegg sold me the wrong product

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 27 Feb 2011.

1. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

So today, I learned that Newegg sold me the wrong product.

About 2 years ago I built a computer for my dad that featured a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ 6.X AM2+ board and an Athlon 64 LE-1600. It was meant to be a server.

Today I tried installing an Athlon II X2 245 onto it... and it wouldn't post. For an hour I tried to remove components to see what's up, and it was the processor. I read online and it turned out that you need to update the BIOS before it has AM3 support. So I figured, okay, I'll put in the old CPU and do that and upgrade.

So I try to update BIOS, and I download the latest BIOS file for the board and try to upgrade it, and it says it's incompatible.

Why? Newegg sold me the BIOSTAR MCP6P M2 6.X AM2 board. Not AM2+ as it was advertised. As such, there is no AM3 support. So I can't actually use the new processor I bought.

Tomorrow I'm going out and getting an AM2+ board, since a) I go back to uni in a week and I have very little time to arrange refunds/etc, and b) the second PCI slot on the Biostar board doesn't seem to work anyways.

Talk about a pain in the butt. Has this ever happened to anyone?
    I love Newegg to death, and I've ordered so many things from them without any issue that I can let this one go. And honestly, the naming scheme makes it such that the difference in motherboard model name is pretty darn subtle, so I could see how someone would miss it.

2. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Not to rain on your parade but all company's make mistakes and you should of really spotted it when the part arrived and sent it back but we all make mistakes too! :D

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  3. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Oh I know. I don't particularly care, it's just a really odd situation because it's Newegg. Never once have I had any issue with Newegg's service. I will continue to shop there for all my computing needs. :)

4. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Newegg are the best, after Scan of course. Both because of pretty amazing customer service, look after the service and the product will look after itself :rock:

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Newegg was not a choice when I was building my rig a few years ago. The Q6600 they were selling was 'not guaranteed' to be a g0 stepping model, but it could have been one (seems pulling of the several different models that existed was not a priority to them) I ended up buying off another site because of that. Newegg is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I do believe they get more credit then deserved at times (just read some comments with fewer than 2 eggs for example). I've never had an issue tbh, but an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of crap.

Rotcrack likes this.