1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Supposedly awesome games that you couldn't get into?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kameltoemunch, 27 Nov 2010.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

It is not the presentation that Shadow of Chernobyl that got me down (although it was lacking), it was the general level design and story. I ended up running from place to place and walking into anomalies that do not affect the surrounding environment. It is also slightly unbalanced as on the second day I managed to kill all of the mercs at the train bridge checkpoint, with only a basic assault rifle and shotgun.

On Call of Pripyat you have mutants running everywhere and there are 'set' anomalies that actually rip/lift/burn the surrounding land.

2. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Dues Ex - Got a couple of hours in and left it.
    Oblivion - Never completed. Have tried to play it all the way through, but it always ended up feeling like a chore.
    Fallout 3 and New Vegas - Completed 3 once, played New Vegas for a few hours and got bored. See "chore" comments for Oblivion.
    Dragon Age: Origins - Played through once to completion, but can't say I ever feel like playing it again.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky and Shadow of Chernobyl - Just couldn't get into them. Have tried a few of times.
    Empire: Total War - Line men up and leave them to shoot! Bored stiff by lack of much variation in armies - rarely forced me to change tactics. More of a battle on the campaign map by winning what I call the "technological advancement war".

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Dowloading now. It's so slow. I thought there would be a torrent but doesn't look like it.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

anything by crytek - they look great, but something about the gameplay irritates me.
    witcher - the control system / camera movement pissed me off.
    grand theft auto vice city / san andreas (haven't bothered with trying 4 yet) - just seemed stale.
    left 4 dead - might be fun if i knew people that played it.
    metro 2033 - too many cut scenes interrupting what you were doing instead of letting you finish.
    and in general any rts, military shooter and most racing games ever made.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2011
  5. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

I feel for you, I truly do. You missed out on THE with-vehicles multiplayer fps of all time. I'd been gaming 10 years by the time it came out, but I always felt that my gaming 'career' begun with that game. 2,000 hours, 4 accounts, loved it deeply. <3

That said I could add loads to the list:

Battlefield 2142: soulless
    2nd and 3rd STALKER's: more of the same
    Olivion and Fallout 3: just never cared for what I did in the games
    BFBC2: its not a Battlefield game _really_ , it's something quite different
    Half-Life 2: minus throwing objects it's a chore
    All F.E.A.R games: endless repitition and samey corridors, and 1 guy kills 500. WTF is that?
    All CoD games: big-bag-o-scripted-pants
    Anno 1404: houses need roads and places of work need roads, but roads are not needed to connect homes to business? Hmmmmmmmm
    Mafia 2: bombing around in cars and crashing into things was fun, I think.
    Bioshock: Art Deco styling meets Art Plopo shooting,
    Farcry 2: really what was PCgamer smoking when they gave it that score? Eurogamer scores are my go-to now thank-you-very-much.

Sneaking suspicion Crysis 2 might make it onto this list in a few weeks. Loved the 1st one. :blah:

6. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

I would have gone for the 'Oblivion Lost' mod. It's very much a 'Were not in Kansas anymore Dorothy' feeling when compared to the vanilla game. Plus there's monsters e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Bioshock - Just no me - One of the few games Bit-Tech completely over sold.
    HL2 - Got stuck at the prison bit and couldn't be bothered to go any furthur
    Stalker - Boring. Running halfway across a map wasnt for me.

8. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Dragon Age & mass effect... the characters just seem so dull :| Especially in dragon age, no emotion the facial animations make them look like they're either depressed or have smelt a fart 24/7.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This is the most awesome thing I've ever heard of.

Anyway, Dragon Age: Origins was one of mine. I actually love the game, but I don't have the time to sink into its complexity and depth and endless content. Same with The Witcher, and Mass Effect. I can tell they've got merit, but life's just too damn short to see them through.

Since I started having so little free time, I've learned to appreciate compartmental, quick games like World of Warcraft and Bad Company 2, that you can just play for 40 minutes and get somewhere.

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Bioshock, what's the fuss all about?
    Stalker, too damn confusing, what's wrong with a bit of intuitivity?

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You missed on the rest of a great game, as well as the second episode which was one of the best FPS (single player) I ever played.

I have to admit I never got into any rally game. I just don't like the driving style of rally. It just doesn't feel right to me for some reason

12. morkfromork

morkfromork Minimodder

For me it's
    Far cry 2- felt like i was conned with this. Played the demo and it was fine. Played the released game and boy what a load of pants. Multiplayer was not much better either.

Stalker- struggled with the game play from the start. Lasted all of an hour before i uninstalled it. Sure it might have got better but was not willing to waste anymore time.

Fallout 3- felt like i was covering my tracks over and over again. Spent 2-3 hours before giving up.

Metro 2033- Spent a good 2 hours on this before i gave up. Poor graphics and to many cut scenes for my liking.

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Crickey. This'll be a long list.

System Shock (1&2) Both arguably awesome games, but I just couldn't play them.

Dragon Age: Origins. This was more a case of "Okay. I've got one race sorted... Christ, I have to do it again?!" that put me off it.

Oblivion: I made the mistake of playing Fallout 3 first, so I was constantly comparing it till I gave up.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. I could play through Call of Pripyat till the end of time, but SoC just doesn't do it for me.

DiRT 2: What the hell did they base that driving system off?! Slick tires on Ice?!

Doom 3: I got tired of it trying (And succeeding) to make me jump every few seconds.

Alone in the Dark (The new one): Might've been my PC, but the controls seemed juddery, and the supposedly "Groundbreaking" fire effects were just a couple of Copypasta'd 2D gifs to my eyes, offputting to try and play it.

Also: I nearly forgot Minecraft
    I don't see the enjoyment in playing with lego in a digital interface that runs like crap on even the latest hardware.
    If I wanted to play with lego: I'd tip out the several square feet of the stuff I have next to my PC, not buy that.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2011
  14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Weren't those games never "supposedly awesome" ? I know both ran like pure @$%# when I tried them. I tried the Metro 2033 demo and after just a few minutes I had already seen several glitches. One of the monster even got stuck in an air vent and it was just moving frantically without going anywhere

15. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Looks like I'm not the only one, I played Bioshock for 2 hours, had a break and never touched it again afterwards. Same thing happened with Mass Effect 1 about 2 months ago, but I'm going to give ME the benefit of the doubt and play it some more.

At least either games was only a fiver when steam deals were about.

16. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - no idea why, I put a couple hours into it til I finally stopped giving it a chance. I might have just not been in a great mood. Although strangely enough I am excited about Skyrim.

Jade Empire - Huge fan of Bioware but the story in this was just dreadful from the start.

17. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

WoW - I thought I would see what all the fuss was about a year ago, I soon found that it was essentially the same as every other MMO I've played and was rather dull. Do not understand what initially hooks people in.

HL2 - Started playing through it but rl issues stopped me from getting far, ever since then I've never been able to get into it again.

Dragon Age: Origins - Combat and story were dull and I hated nearly all the characters. I've got ~50-60% through about 3 times before realizing that I wasn't enjoying it and uninstalling.

18. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Planescape: Torment: Game reviewers love this game. They also seem keen to get the rest of us to play it as every 'games you should play' list features it such as bit-tech here: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2007/12/28/the_best_games_you_ve_never_played/4 I bought it in about 2001 having seen it in just such a list in a magazine and even then, 10 years ago, people saw me playing it and said it looked awful, but I said 'ah yes but it's all about the gameplay, the story' and persevered. After several hours walking around the same few rooms I gave up. I had no idea what I was supposed to do and no idea how to progress. Now I know modern games can be accused of too much hand-holding but this game really is the opposite of that. Failed to get it and TBH 99.9% of people just would not get this game. Games journalists please stop banging on that we should play it. No, we don't need that. Thanks.

Or is it just me?

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

-Fallout 3..... somehow it didn't seem as good as Oblivion.
    -F1 2010, F1 never appealed, Touring car, now that's exciting.
    -STALKER expansions. loved original STALKER, but expansions made it more and more RPG-like, which put me off.
    -all MMO RPG.
    -Mass Effect 2, it just bores me. again, too much RPG element? ME1 was great, due to the relatively linear approach (only played once) and solid combat system.
    -Boarderlands, it just gets boring after my 3rd try on an area with enemy that are 10 levels higher than me..... again, perhaps there's something about RPG i don't understand?
    -Left 4 Dead 1/2, didn't like it.... not sure why. it just gets boring.
    -Counter Strike, what's fun about this game? GunGame is pretty good, but the core game types are meh.

Boarderlands, Mass Effect 2, STALKER and Fallout 3 are all action RPG's...... and im put off by RPG elements...... mainly because i don't quite get the concept of side quests..... i feel it makes the game unnecessary tiring.

Games i doubt makes the awesome game list:
    -Bioshock 2? 1 was great loved it, two felt nothing new, meh. so never finished it.
    -Aliens vs Predators? wtf is this about?
    -Dawn of War 2? one was awesome, two without any base building and campaign feels like an actual RPG rather than RTS.
    -Far Cry 2? again RPG elements... the long purposeless drive is what killed the game for me.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2011
  20. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

I haven't played Metro 2033 yet, but I've generally heard good things about it. I should have snagged it over the holiday steam sale, but I already have too many games stacked up to play.

I played about half way through FC 2 and thought that it was a very cool and unique game mired down by a few design choices. The constant and respawning checkpoints were the most agonizing part, but it also contained far too much travel in general. The fire system, the openness of the environment and the general feel of the game were quite good in my opinion. It's just a shame that they never released any mod tools for it.

I also played FC 2 on 360 (oh noes) and it ran fine for the most part, so I can't comment on PC performance. I've thought of buying it again recently but its just another game to add to the stack.