1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Antec One Hundred Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Cool

3. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

Lack of a reset button is definitely a loss. I have a Cooler Master Centurion 590, which also lacks a reset button, and every time I have to reset the machine (all of about 10 times so far), it's pissed me off that I have to strangle it with the power button for 3 seconds. It's more annoying because I never turn off my machine - I have literally had to reset the machine more often than I have powered it on or off! A reset button would almost be better for me than a power button, because at least I have both buttons on my motherboard, I could conceivably power it up before attaching the side of the case...

My next case will definitely have a reset button, and cases that don't will not be considered.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

TBH I use the reset button a lot more often than the power button, so yes, it is a loss.

I'd rather take off the side panel and use the on motherboard power button and still have a reset button on outside than the other way around.

Otherwise, not too bad-a-case. I'm really not a fan of all these big plastic-y bits on the tops of cases however.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That does look like a CoolerMaster case.

A bit dull if I'm honest. Oh, hang, on I've just seen the price.

It does look like a CM case though. Black interior is a plus though.

6. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Wire up the power switch to the reset switch terminals, and set your BIOS to boot when the system gets power?

7. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I hardly ever use the reset button so I honestly wouldn't miss it. What exactly do people need the reset button for these days?

8. adidan

I tickle it for fun.

9. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The lack of a reset button doesn't bother me. For the price, it looks pretty impressive. Anyone else notice how the 300 has been creeping up and up in price? Good to see something slip into that lower price rung again.

10. adidan

Nice to see they've thrown in a 140mm top fan. I'm I right in thinking it looks like all the bays you have to screw components in? Would have been nice to see at least a few quick release bays if not all.

Mind you that sort of thing would bump the price up, which is very competitive.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I seem to remember the 300 being £35-40 when it came out, and now its hovering about £50.

I'd still rather fork out the extra £10 for the 300 over this one, I prefer the looks and the layout.

EDIT: Yeah, £49 on Scan

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It's a nice case but I have a general question here... Why oh why do manufacturers only make BLACK cases these days?

13. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

It's too ugly for me. I'd pay the extra 10£ for the 300 or get one of the low end Silverstone cases (PS05 i think). Honestly if all the hardware fits in and the temps don't go into the high 60s under full load on quiet fan settings, then the case is good enough. Hardware is generally designed to run in such temperatures. And rarely will you even reach full load situations for long periods of time (professional use of F@H excepted, but then you probably shouldn't be looking at budget cases anyway). If case A has low noise level, high temps, good looks and required features then I'd always take it over case B with medium noise level, low temps and terrible design. Obviously there is a point when temps get too high. but seriously even if the One hundred ran 10 degrees hotter it would still be cool enough for 24/7 operation. I'm just saying that imho you can overdo things in pursuit of the lowest possible temps.

14. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

We had the NZXT Phantom and the BitFenix (I think...) Colossus cases available in white. Oh and the Fractal design ones have two colours other than black.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Wow, talk about a lack of cable management when the hardware is installed. The nest of wires by the PSU is adorable.

As a budget case it looks pretty good, but I'm glad I went with my R3, which SchizoFrog will be happy to know is white.

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Doesn't really help if the case performs well, when it looks like an eye sore like most of Antec's recent cases. I still think the Antec 300 is the most pleasing of Antec's "Hundred" series line-up.

17. October

October Mariachi Style

I lol'd :hehe:

Most of the time I want to reset mine it's easier to use the power button than to find something to poke the reset button with, its nicely recessed but my fingers will not comply.

What I'm wondering is why the Three Hundred wasn't included in the testing, surely that's the case the One is intended to replace and therefore the most interesting comparison as regards performance...?

In particular I'd love to know how the One performs against a Three with two 120mm intakes fitted...

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It's the new beige

19. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

OK... I shall clarify... There are cases that are other colours but only if you want to pay above £100. I personally like the Silverstone Fortress FT01 (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silv...ower-case-silver-aluminum-with-window-w-o-psu) But at over £130 it is above many people's budgets. Each of the cases that have so far been mentioned cost more than £100, but in the sub £100 category there is a distinct lack of alternatives to black cases.

20. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Maybe it's just me, but I think we're overlooking the nicest feature: 8 PCI slots in back. Okay, you might have to pop the side panel off (or slap in an extra intake fan or two), but I think we might actually have a legitimate cheap folding case on our hands here.

- Diosjenin -

Tags: Add Tags