1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Uuuh, it's Attila, which means automatic and instant sub.

One thing, though: aren't you going to cool the GFX memory chips and the GFX VRMs?

EDIT 1: Oh, and another thing: You could add some long standoffs (marked with red) on either side of the motherboard beneath the GFX plate and secure them with bolts (marked with green) - this will add lots of stability to the GFX plate and relieve almost all stress on those bends - which were nicely done, by the way. :thumb:

[​IMG]

EDIT 2: The long standoffs (which could be made from threaded rod, for allowing small adjustments up and down) could also be used for fixing the GFX plate at a 0 degrees angle to the motherboard tray - which would make it a lot easier to work with the I/O plate.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
  2. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Hello Attila, this is going to be a treat. I like the board(s) tray, very compact. This will be a fun build for you and for me to watch :)

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks jrs. :thumb:

Ta mate. :)

Thanks. I could use all of them if I wanted to. ;)

Thanks. :)

Thanks. :) I'll answer the block design question below.

I'm glad you are. :thumb:

Thanks ziip. :thumb: A couple of years ago I was looking into these things (extenders) I just cant remember why, but from the information I could glean, There is no or at least negligible, effect on the performance of the card.

Thanks.:) See above.

I think it will be fun also, for a while at least. :hehe: I wouldn't wait till the whole shebang was all together before the cables were installed. :D 90 degree sata cables take care of that problem and everything else wont be difficult either. ;)

I hope you enjoy the ride.

Soon. :hehe:

Thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks. :) I can speak but I cant read or write very well.

Thanks mate, I hope you enjoy the ride. :thumb:

Thanks. :thumb: And will do. Will number the updates and include the date.

Thanks. :thumb: I've been having lots of fun with this already.

:)

Thanks. :thumb: I did a lot of research for this and agree fully that the new designs are more efficient than the old LBTH designs. The two most important things on my mind while doing the research and noting all the different designs (commercial and amateur), were: No 1- does this work? No 2- can I make it? (I should also add that despite all the warnings about mixing metal in the loop, and not to use alu, I really wanted to use alu. :lol:) If I couldn't make it, I moved onto the next design. I don't have the tooling to make the latest types of block, but I want to make them, as much as I can, myself.
    The designs I've chosen work. They are not the latest or best but they will do the job. They will remove heat and importantly (for me at least) I can make them. Now if I make another WC project in the future, then I may be in a position to make something more cutting edge, for now I'm very happy with what I've done.

Thanks Nutman. :thumb: The memory and VRM's will be cooled via heatsink and airflow. All the advice I have received from various sources confirms that this will be OK. In fact, the stock cooling solution only has some alu sitting on top of the VRM's with a heap of gunk in between. As for the bracing of the GFX card support. See this pic of what I did before work today. This, after being screwed into place, will be very strong and rigid.

[​IMG]

stonedsurd likes this.
  4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks very solid and a much neater solution than what I suggested - heavier, yes, but much nicer. :thumb:

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

OMG, I'm a sad geek I know it, but those v-slot bends are awesome, and I love the supports you made for it - they are cool too.

So have you had the hardware up and running yet with the slot extender?

More please kind sir.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

YES! He's at it again!

7. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Fair enough, I'm sure the blocks will turn out awesome. I would strongly suggest you don't mix alluminium and copper though, and that if you do they're not in contact. Google "Swiftech Apogee GTX Corrosion" - copper + aluminium + scratch in anodised layer results in horrible galvanic corrosion like this, with the water turned into a weak battery acid and gunk going to your pump impeller. :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:(

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yummy :thumb:

9. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Ewww. I wonder if you could electro platethe aluminium part at home with copper?

10. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

No way! new mods from both boddaker, AND attila:p I can see my spare time disappear into the horizon :(

As the other says, just make the blocks out of pure alu, and dont mix copper into the loop, and it will kick ass:D

11. StonieX

StonieX What's a Dremel?

Sub´d, can´t wait to see more :)

This waterblock looks disgusting! :eeek:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow been on here since yesterday & only just found out :D, I checked out what you were doing on your site & as usual was blown away with what you are doing Attila god of filing :D:thumb:.

13. jprykov

jprykov What's a Dremel?

i was thinking about altering the videocard connections and i didnt know they have those extenders in the market! im just amazed and suprised at your build! im going to follow this project for sure!!!! you made a fantastic job on the design and concept especially the title itself is superb! good luck on your build! :) :) :)

14. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

garrr. I wondered when you are gonna show off the waterblock. seen it on your website ;)

Oh and dammit I'm subbed.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@MonkeyPuzzle - That reminds me. I need to check the 'Toad. The temps are still good, but I know it's getting gross inside.
    @Xye - I'm pretty sure you can't copper coat alu. It's been proven that plating fails over time anyway.

Nice bracket, and Holy cr*p! I just noticed the wall of aluminum behind the motherboard pic.

16. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Hi Craig, welcome to bit-tech. :clap:

Thanks. :) No I haven't had a chance to test the cable yet. You see the CPU that will go in this is currently in Na'ir al Saif and wont be coming out of that till the new one arrives (the i7 I won in the MOTY comp). An interesting fact., When I first looked at these extenders a couple of years back, an example 100 mm in length cost about US$90.00. The one I have here was $12.00 posted from ebay. :D

Hi stone. :)

Wow! I've seen plenty of photo's of this sort of stuff but that's an extreme example. :eeek:

Hi p0Pe. :thumb: Yeah, I'm going to test what I've made first to see how it goes, I just need to make some more parts and buy some stuff as well (rad, pump yadayada). I'm expecting some corrosion but only a little. The good thing about the old design is that there are no small features to clog up, the smallest features in the loop will be in the radiator.

Hi Waynio. :thumb: I'm glad you like my site.

Thank you. :)

Thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks cheaps. :thumb: Don't you hate it when someone posts while your posting and then....oh never mind. :D

17. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Hey Attila, on another forum I saw a guy making bends the way you are (filing a grove before bending) and he used solder paste in the joint. It looked cleaner when he was done because you could not see the break in the material…just a thought.

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Mom!!! Attila is back too. :clap: Dueling masters? Attila vs Bod. wear out the keyboard going back and forth.

19. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Sub'd! Mad work!

20. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

This is really exciting, Attila! I can't wait to see where this goes.

I'm a newbie when it comes to water cooling, but I found some info in an old book I bought the other day that you and others may be interested in. I'd love to see someone confirm this, even if it was written by an engineer.

From Cooling Techniques for Electronic Equipment, (1980) by Dave S. Steinberg:

Good luck with the project!

-Lobster