1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for the info, I will make shure to keep that in mind if I decide to continue on with the SS.

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

First of I want to give a special thanks too everyone who voted for me in MOTM january. I can now look forward to a nice fangrill :thumb:

There hasn't been much updating for a feew weeks. The reason Is I have been busy mowing to a town and country because of a job. I'm now half swede and half norweigan:)

A decade ago you were called antisocial if you were spending too much time on the net. Now, after living for more than 2 weeks without internet, I can clearly see how times have changed. I've never felt so isolated before. Simple things like paying bills have suddenly become a whole days adventure, and finding a map when you need one nowadays isn't that easy.

Anyway, last update I started making the foot out of stainless steel. I wasn't satisfied with it so the plan is to make a new one out of normal steel or alu. Anyway I didn't have time enough to to that this time in the workshop so I had to focus on the more easy parts, like the back casing.

My initial plan was to only encase the mobo in a square case, but soon realised that the mushsroom will only look good when viewed straight from the front since the back casing will stick out quite a bit. So to keep the countour and shape of the mushroom I decided to make the back casing the same shape as the heatsink itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a test fit of how they will be mounted. There is still some work left to do on these parts as they need holes to screw the parts together. The reason for why I made this out of several extruded parts is because of the sharp edges. I was thinking of making it out of a single piece of alu plate by bending it but then the edges would have a slight radius on them that wouldn't match the sharp edges of the heatsink.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See ya

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Lol about the times a changing bit :D.

And I'm glad you are doing the form of the case the same as the mushroom, it'll look absolutely awesome GNU :clap::cooldude::thumb:.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My God, it's a bloody awesome shape!

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I was really concerned the rest of the case wouldn't be the same form - but it is!

AWESOME!

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks, yeah I think this will look a lot better than a big cube sticking out the back.

Thanks, Yeah I have somehow fallen in love with everything with pixels because of this. I think Im hooked on 8-bit for life.

Seems like I did the right choice on the case shape, always nice to get that kind of feedback:thumb:

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Why do the simple route when you can be Godly.:D

I was almost disappointed by the 2nd pic. I thought you had found a massive alu profile.

8. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I think you made the right choice. That looks great!

9. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

flawless as usual!

10. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Welcome to Norway! :)

This just keeps getting better with each post. I can't wait to see it anodized!

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Maybe the mill is massive aswell:naughty: Nah.. those macro shoots can fool you quite a lot.

Attila aproved... Im more than sattisfied :thumb:

I bow to thee.

Well hello fellow citizen, I like your town:thumb:. Nice to hear you like my work.

12. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

I have to say, this is an amazing piece of work thus far, very ingenious with the heatpipes, I may have to "borrow" this idea.

I have been inspired to make a similar case/machine, after I discovered XBMC, which is a sick media player/browser optimized for HTPC's.

You may want to look into this, as it looks amazing, has an extremely light footprint, and is FREE!

It can run on windows, but for this your best bet would be to install their light Ubuntu distro, it would be amazing to see this project running with some super-slick software. You could also customize the skins to match the 8-bit mushroom theme. SICK!!!

Anyways, check out this article if you're interested.

XBMC Explanation

Keep up the amazing work, and I have a few more tips.

for the white parts of the mushroom, some of the matte finishes you can achieve with natural colors attain a really light silver look, perfect alongside the green and black.

Also, have you looked into using something like a NAS box or shared network folder to store your media? The actual HTPC only really needs to act as a receiver of sorts, pulling media off your gaming machine or whatnot, since local storage may be an issue with that SSD. Though I applaud your choice on the SSD, I can only imagine how amazing that thing is with no sound whatsoever.

With your plan for a capacitive power switch, I believe that some switches do not need direct contact, but rather a touch in the immediate area, allowing you to mill the face thin and put the switch behind it without blemishing the facade of that beautiful 1-up. I don't have a link, but I'll look around, and a little Google should do the trick.

Keep up the amazing work, I can't wait to see this thing finished!!

Have Fun!
    -SPNKR

13. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

This one, for example? I think the chip itself has changed name to QT113A or something, but works the same (just check the page of the manufacturer). It's designed to work through (afaik) up to 1cm of glass/acrylic, and will prob work through a bit thinner alu as well..

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for your feedback and it's nice to see you have been reading the text aswell:thumb:
    You are free to "Borrow" any ideas you want as I would really like to see someone else use hatpipes.

I have actually been thinking of using that XBMC software with some kind of linux since I've only heard good about it. I will atleast give it a try once this is done and Im pretty shure I'll like it.

I have been into the natural color as the "white" aswell and Im pretty shure thats the way I'll do it. I think it will be a much better look than any form of white color.

I havn't been looking at the NAS boxes that much, but I have hade some idea of streaming the media somehow. Since I'm not very familiar with these thing I really apreciate your tip, I will have a look at it for shure.

Nice with some feedback of the touchswitch. As far as I know there are touch circuits where you can adjust the distance of the buttons sensitivity. However I think there will be a problem with the anodized surface as I think it will work as a shielding for the current.

Thanks again for your feedback and I would really like to hear if you find out anything more about the above :thumb:

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Sry didn't see your reply as I was busy posting:)
    Yeah that's actually the kind of chip I have been looking at, I think it will suit the purpose very well apart from Im not shure if It will work through anodized alu as it's non conductive. Do you know anything about this?

16. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Being non-conductive is a plus! But I just read the data sheet and it doesn't seem like it will work through metal at all.. Not that strange, though, as these sensors measure capacitance.

EDIT: just figured out what you meant.. You could probably turn the entire case into a touch button (it would almost certainly work through the anodized layer), but then you would have to decouple it from ground.

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hm ..yeah I guess through metall will be hard.
    And I think I can see some problems if I would turn the whole case into a touch switch:). Would be cool though but not as practical I guess. Maybe It could be possible to place the touchsensor inbetween the "pixels" and boost up the sensitivity to have it trigger when covering the gap with the finger. But those 1mm gaps is probably to small for that to work.

Or I could just decide to keep my greasy fingers away from the anodized alu on the front and power on/off with a regular micro switch placed somewhere else. But that would almost be a too easy solution.:D

18. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Give us more we want some life mushroom :D Trippy **** :D

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Haha.. easy on the mushrooms. I have to save some for later :p

Last edited: 5 Mar 2011
  20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

*Edit :crap dubble posted because of slow net. Is there a way to delete posts?