1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Old laptop to Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ac22297, 24 Jan 2011.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I had to mostly skim through this one because I'm on break at work, but as a possible solution to that short ribbon, you could desolder those buttons and use electrical wire to extend the connections, and then just resolder them

2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

oo make sure its same size in GB as the SSD... its the 32GB right?? use that!! :D

3. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

This could work - the only reason I haven't tried something like that is that my soldering skills are a little lacking and I don't want to break the only way I have of turning this on lol.
    It definitely needs some thought though, I will ponder this at length.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Either a 32GB stick or 2x16GB :D
    one would be best, that way it will perform like a 32gb ssd aswell as look like one :D

i'll put that in my "todo" pile

4. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

if you are gonna do a 2X16 GB... make sure its on something that'll allow you to use them in a RAID array or whatever.. but i suggest 32... that way you dont have to figure out how to do RAID for those 16 lol

5. searching

searching I am searching...

Bit late here, but just wanted to say great idea and mod so far! I'm going to have to look into doing something similar with the next old laptop I come across!

Look forward to seeing the finished result!

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Old lap top was used as a door jam for years until I gave it to a mate, do'h he could have had a touch screen door jam...

Fiddly job though and keep up the good stuff

7. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

Cheers :D
    Good luck

Touchscreen doorjams are best because they know when they are being used :D

8. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

so any new updates yet AC?

9. eddy_d

eddy_d What's a Dremel?

I come to this thread way too many times in a day for it to be healthy hahaha

cant wait for some more updates... but i'll will try to be patient!

My own project could be delayed further, might be lending my laptop out to a friend (his got smashed in a a mugging)
    But i'm very keen to get started!!

10. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

Yeah my heatshrink got here and I've been playing around with it and OMFG IT IS AWESOME!!
    Who came up with this? It's miraculous!

So I accidentally snipped a couple of wires while stripping that awful silver covering off the wires... used some heatshrink to cover each of the splices and a further slightly larger one to wrap those two.

[​IMG]

and as I was playing with my new macro / wide angle lens, here's a bonus action shot!

[​IMG]

extra credit if you can guess the show :D

Still waiting on my cable sleeving and that touchscreen, stay tuned :D

11. eddy_d

eddy_d What's a Dremel?

Heatshrink is amazing isn't it. It's so fun!

Looks like it is coming together nicely.

12. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

I had no idea I had such a captive audience!

Don't worry, won't be too long before your next fix :D
    If I lived in Hong Kong stuff like this would be so much easier :dremel:

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Good OL Battlestar Galactica if I'm not mistaken....

Just started watching it again :D

14. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

yeah and a great excuse to play with heatguns :D
    the finished tablet is nearly there, just one last major upgrade and then it's all icing on the cake. mmmmm cake.

I just got series 4.0 on dvd
    bsg is one of those shows you just can't watch too much of.
    frakkin toasters.

15. eddy_d

eddy_d What's a Dremel?

I've just ordered my screen!

Friend didn't need my laptop, so I shall be rereading this thread. Already dismantled mine. Went really well (for me it's a surprise).

Just got to work out the case now. Power button issues :/
    yours must be close now!!

16. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

Nice one mate!

Start a build log here and I'll be happy to link you in my sig (and vice versa?)

my screen is close. should be here by next wednesday at the latest.
    I've done a bit of work sleeving cables and such, I'll wait till the screen is in before posting a big update :)

17. eddy_d

eddy_d What's a Dremel?

i think mine could beat yours :D haha bought mine locally so shipping is quicker. and i just didnt think i should get the screen from a cheap site.

I have to fix up my case a lot. not sure how i will go mounting the screen.

Would love to do a build log but i only have a phone camera. i'll try
    Going to go buy some tools today :)

good thing i can be distracted this weekend, i just want to build!

18. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

PROGRESS!

IT'S HERE!!

The touchscreen arrived yesterday, and I got to work seeing how it could be mounted.
    Unfortunately, the tenuous possibility of mounting it behind the first layer of plastic is out of the question as although it sometimes picks up a sharp prod, the force required to do so would be too much for a comfortable experience.

I have also been busy in the meantime sleeving the various loose cables, so I'll start this update with that to keep eveything in order:

First off, I sleeved the display cable, and managed to fit that little controller board inside some sleeving to make it look nice ;)
    for the curious, I got the heatshrink and sleeving from ebay for about £3 each (5m of sleeving, 7m of various size heatshrink) and I used my swiss army knife and a steady hand to remove the pins. I damaged one by accident but learned how not to do it so it all worked out :)

[​IMG]

Then I did the power cable, and connected everything up:

[​IMG]

That aside, I twiddled my thumbs for a few days till the screen got here.
    Then I had some work cut out for me.
    As you can see, the huge amount of cabling supplied far exceeded my needs, I'd never stuff all that in the case:

[​IMG]

...so I went about shortening the USB cable :dremel:

[​IMG]

That nano bluetooth dongle beside it is what I'm aiming for regarding connector size. that way I can hide it in one of the further in USB ports, and it will be very nearly invisible from the outside :D

I stripped down the connector - this was difficult as it was a moulded connector, and after slashing my thumb trying to cut it open with my penknife I hit on the idea of melting it off with my heatgun.
    Turned out to be the best move I'd made all day :D

[​IMG]

Now I've taken off all the crap, time to cut the whole cable to length and solder the wires back on:

[​IMG]

After some effort and a bit of heatshrink, I have cut down my 1 meter USB cable to a perfect 8.5cm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just put the pins back in the connector, quickly tested it and WOOT! I've done my first successful fiddly wire hack :rock:

Now to figure out how to mount the screen. This is where I'm stuck at right now, as the screen has no mounting holes or anything and I have nothing to keep it in place - so I've used some duct tape for now, to secure it around the edges while I play with it :D

[​IMG]

Once I have this mounted properly and a hole cut in the front panel for it, I might do a vid of the tablet in action - until then I need to figure out how the hell to calbrate a touchscreen under linux mint 9 :wallbash:

Till next time 0/

*sidenote: due to some wierd linux driver issue, up and down on the touchscreen were correct but left was right and right was left. I fixed this by swapping 2 of the wires coming from the screen to the controller board, as I couldnt figure out how to do it via software. The ultimate mod workaround :)

19. ac22297

ac22297 What's a Dremel?

Did your screen beat mine? I want pics! :D
    How is your mod going?

20. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

HAHA! awesome man!! so how much is all the stuff all together?? and yes please do a video!! :rock::clap::D