1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Playing Old Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by oasked, 26 Feb 2011.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Has anyone else been playing any old games recently?

I've just started playing Banjo Tooie which I never got around to playing when it came out (in 2000!), but I started to play it recently (fond memories of the original Banjo Kazooie) and its absolutely brilliant. Funny, great fun to play and keeps me entertained - unlike a lot of games today.

Has anyone else been harking back to the good ol' days? :lol:

[​IMG]

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have fond memories of things like Elite but, TBH, I wouldn't want to spoil the memory by playing them now.

Edit:
    That's not old! Elite was 1984 FFS! :)

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Hilariously I downloaded Gunstar Heroes from Steam for £1.99 earlier. That, Space Harrier II and all the Sonic The Hedgehog games are some of my favorite ancient games :D

4. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Funny this thread appears as im currently enjoying some super NES goodies, Donkey Kong and some Joshi Island... great fun

As for PC I also started playing some Warcraft II, you know, when you have nostalgia you just want to play everything you used to!!

5. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I'm currently playing Super Mario World, SMB 2 and SMB 3.

Fantastic.

Absolutely fantastic.

I was a real Nintendo fan.

6. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

O Dear lord, that title screen does take me back too a young age..

7. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I started playing Heretic the other day. Used to play it when I was younger, back then though I just enjoyed using the cheats and running round like a loon.

Playing through it properly now though and enjoying it as much as I did back then. Finding the secret rooms is pretty fun!

Also have a game of Banjo-Kazooie on the go which I dip in and out of when I have a bit of time to kill.

8. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

I've just been re-playing x-com apocalypse, using dos-box, which is one of my favourite games ever.
    Also, not quite as old, the original ghost recon for lan games with friends as their laptops will run it well and can use one disk between everyones pc.

9. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Fired up soldier of fortune 2 the other day, Guess its not that old but seems like it, could never play this game at full settings in the past, now its all maxed out but now looks nasty because of its age, its not all bad but its no longer the game I know and loved.
    Currently considering re-living HalfLife somepoint soon.

10. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

playing alex the kidd pre built into my sega master system 2

and a bit of clasic sonic

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yeah I'm considering that as well, I played the original Half-Life back in the day, but never finished it (got about 2/3 of the way through I think).

12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Not sure as it counts as retro, but I'm playing the Xbox Live remake of Perfect Dark - trying to get it to the same level as my N64 profile.

All in all, I think they did a good job on the remake. Didn't tamper with it too much - just cleaned it up and added a few features.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Recently started the Monkey Islands again, soooo good :D

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I just started Doom 3 again for the first time in years, repurchased it on steam. I love it, but it really ****ing badly needs a mod to make the game less dark. Even the game's creator agrees it was stupidly dark. The level design is so cool and I hate not being able to see any of it.

15. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Been playing FF7 again. Only 15hours in ATM but really enjoying it. Must be my 3rd time through.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I tried to play Deus Ex, but my screen didn't like the default resolution :( Same with Alpha Centuri. Somewhat tempted to find an old computer just for old games...

17. Palmski

Palmski What's a Dremel?

About halfway through re-playing the whole Baldur's Gate series right now. Butt kicking for goodness!

Someone mentioned Elite up above, Oolite (http://www.oolite.org/) is a faithful remake of the original game but with upgraded graphics using OpenGL and a big modding community. If you loved the original then check it out, still as awesome as ever.:thumb:

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I have just downloaded the original Sonic on the PS3 - haven't played it yet but I will see if it stands up to time!

19. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I still play X-Wing Alliance. It still offers me for fun and gameplay than many of the latest and best looking games (which seem to have replayability sucked out of them..)

Also, the original Tomb Raider - and Jungle Strike!

20. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I've just installed Max Payne- But there no sound on win7 even with the mod/fix : (
    I was too young to remember the story properly, was really looking forward to it :p

@chris66- I'll have to go play Tomb Raider now, still got the PS1 & discs in the loft :D