1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Oh wow... I lost a little bit of faith in humanity. Give the console kiddies whatever they want. I don't care for them, I use a console for Fifa with mates, and GT5, and that's about it. Give the PC BF3 like it should be, with 6 man squads, a commander, big maps, jets etc.

Essentially just reskin BF2....

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

And add some better hit detection whilst they're at it. Oh, and a halfway decent server browser.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Oh yeah, that too... Don't think that'll be an issue though.

You can tell console kiddies have short attention spans, they want to spawn and just pull the trigger, they don't want tactical gameplay.

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Crysis 1 vs. Crysis 2 is the perfect example of this. Hate that damn demo, they ruined that game.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Do you think they'll bring back the commander function of the game?

6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Whilst i'd love for them to, i somehow doubt it.

At the end of the day, despite all the "PC Lead Platform" that they state, and people are hyping themselves up over; they still have to port the game to consoles and a Commander mode just wouldn't translate very well IMO.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Word on the Commander role has been sketchy thus far and what tidbits you can glean from interviews/previews/twitter etc, it's not looking likely.

10. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

I have a 360, and I also played BF 2 and play ARMA 2. World explodes?!?!

Didn't think so. Stop being elitist and generalizing things into such black and white categories. I know plenty of PC players who are absolute scrubs, and many amazing players on 360.

If you want to be more accurate, it would be the CoD kiddies that don't want tactical game play. Luckily, DICE isn't going to listen to their insane ramblings.

Anyways, the SP does look like its going for a fairly CoD-esque action movie vibe, but as long as the MP is solid I don't care in the slightest.

11. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Without a commander, how can you coordinate all the squads?!?

I'm guessing squad leaders will be dropped aswell if there is no commander. :waah:

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm not being elitist at all. There are 'scrubs' on both platforms, but I'm yet to come across a PC user who even comes close to the narrow mindedness of a console gamer.

I loved COD, must have spent in excess of 500 hours on it (PC). Did you even watch the videos linked? Or just read my post and just open your mouth? Those 2 videos demonstrate what the vast majority of console gamers want. the short rush of the game, they don't want to think, just shoot.

COD is fine for that. More than happy to play COD if I want a quick fix of pew pew. But if I want an immersive experience from my games, I'll play the BF series of games. Console kiddies are trying to turn everything in COD.

NaloaC: Really hope there commander will be available. Will be great on clan servers. Pub servers obv would pose the problem of stupid commanders though. Fingers crossed they'll include it. Wish they'd just give us a list of what's there and what's not now.

13. kameltoemunch

My post wasn't meant to defend those videos, so perhaps I spoke a little too quickly. I just tire of seeing all the PC elitism that goes on around the web. Not all console players are kiddies. I play with a very 360 clan on BC 2, and they have some of the most solid teamwork I've seen.

Anyways, I fully agree that those two commentators have their heads up their asses. What's more, they have missed the point of playing Battlefield entirely. No arguments with me about that. It also appears that, at least the first commentator, has never played a Battlefield game for more than a few minutes. Which makes me wonder why the hell he thought he needed to make this commentary in the first place?

Or, why he would want BF 3 to be made exactly like CoD and not just wait for the next yearly installment.

Side note: Some of those comments are hilarious. "if you are a Battlefield fanboy and you try to defend your game why do you watch these cod videos?The point is to make profit and Activision i believe makes more profit than your precious DICE just by running a 60 frame per second on their game"

You know somebody is reaching when they fall back to talking about company profit in regards to which is the better game.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2011
  14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

When I say console kiddies, I'm referring to the general immaturity displayed by most of the console gaming community. I'm sure there are many gamers that are mature. Most though aren't.

Glad we agree about the commentators though :p

15. kameltoemunch

True. The bane of my existence used to be hearing 13 year old kids yell "gimme the sniper rifle!!!!" in my ear in Halo 3. Wish XBL matchmaking had age filtering options.

But, back to PC for BF3. No way I'm passing up 64 player combat.

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

TBH I think that immaturity on consoles is only prevalent because all 360s (and i'm using Xbox Live here since I believe it was the first to really provide a decent online Home Console experience) are bundled with Headsets and easy accessibility in terms of voice chat/spamming.

Contrast that to PC games where not only is VOIP rarely built in, but it also requires purchase of a headset and setting up etc. And even normal chat requires a person "smart/bothered" enough to know where the chat key is.

That aside, you don't exactly have to look too hard for immaturity in PC gaming, be it ragers in CSS, WoW, DotA etc. Hell, even BC2 has its share of people raging at their own team because "apparently" they're either all sniping or running off on their own. I've had my fair share of abuse from either crowd so i wouldn't really say that one side is more or less mature than the other.

17. kaz1989

kaz1989 What's a Dremel?

After glimpsing at the flight combat in the latest teaser, pretty safe to say I'm in love. I hope my new rig in a few weeks can handle it. I'm really hoping they can merge both Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2, and have Bad Battlefield babies. Essentially all I want is Bad Company 2 on a larger scale, with prone and jets :)

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

shakey ground..... oh great, another fictional super weapon? DICE can sure write single player stories.

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

No, it's called an earthquake, they're actually quite natural :p

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

any who has been following BF will know that was an earthquake....
    Ment to be a rare accurance in the game, unconfirmed i think in MP