1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Going to the US - Any Hardware bargains I should look out for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 26 Feb 2011.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You can get iphones for good money over there.
    Lots of mountain dew. :D

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Nice suggestions guys.

Im going to look into GTX 580's, maybe Dell IPS panels and silverstone raven cases :)

Il do some digging on the net

3. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

No invoices or new original boxes.

4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

If you want cheap deals you should visit China. Everything is going up here including our gas prices which is almost $4.00/GAL!

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Stop moaning you Yanks! :p
    We're paying around £1.30/litre, which works out at $7.91/gallon!!

Fizzban likes this.
  6. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

bring back alot of mountain dew and send me some :D

yea but seriously buying the odd thing over in the states and brining it back wont be too bad, just unbox it first if you can, or gift wrap it and say its a present from a relative.

I brought a PS3 back from the states and stuck it in a laptop bag and nothing was said in the slightest.

7. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Your work wages are higher and contry not in 14 trillions in debt.

8. donok

that game could go on forever

'we're not fat, either'

shopping in the u.s of a is a bargain for most Europeans unless you work for intel

just remember to check prices back in the U.K. i think the 980x is still priced at $999.99 in the usa which makes scan price of £600-700 odd pretty good.

also remember to shop with decent brands otherwise warranty will be an issue.

dont bin boxes, manuals and invoices post them back to yourself so you can sell or get a RMA done if you need too

9. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

How times appear to have changed, then. I remember talking to someone from the US on compuserve (90's) and they were like "wow, you have electricity in Scotland? and teevee too?". I think they'd seen the movie Brigadoon and thought that was how we lived.....they certainly hadn't seen Trainspotting, read about where the word "watt" originated, nor had they heard of John Logie Baird!

So far as I can tell, our wages are broadly equivalent or in favour of US. The US division of the company I work for certainly pays more for the same job as mine, but that's not really an average.

Anyways, customs & excise are actually quite a clever lot, they have internet too & even know what services like google and ebay can be used for. Catch them on a day when they've nothing to do and you'll find that out. Mostly they're interested in illegal products but if nobody is walking through the declare lane, they *do* pick people at random.

10. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Sorry for the thread hijack, but this got me thinking...

My girlfriend goes to China every couple of months with work. I usually just get her to pick me up tobacco and alcohol from duty free but is there anything else I should be pointing her towards? Would it all work?

11. bdigital

12. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

GTX 580 are definitely cheaper over there. I would probably consider buying that if i went that way. reasonably transportable, although you'd probably have to leave a fair bit of room in your case...

13. bdigital

EVGA, Palit, MSI, Gigabyte, all GTX 480's 1.5gb , all work out about £316

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Avoid the big retailers and maybe check out Newegg and get them to ship to wherever you are.

15. bdigital

Yeah those prices were newegg. Approx $500

16. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

My dad worked at IBM in Beijing for a while, and said that colleagues there actually did their computer shopping when they went over to the states... not saying there aren't deals to be had, but it's really not necessarily as great as you might think AFAIK. I had a look around for a dSLR while I was there but didn't end up buying.

There may well be things you could save money on even after paying tax; I sometimes see US shops come up on price comparison sites looking very cheap (for camera lenses in particular)... just ordering on t'internet with shipping & duties it's very unlikely to be worth it, but carrying through customs yourself and paying the tax could well be, with the $ == £ pricing you often see.

EDIT: bear in mind that duties may be more than just VAT http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm calculation looks like it could be complicated...

17. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

/sort of offtopic

you should fill your suitcase with gas and resell it in the UK.

/sort of offtopic

I'd take a look at apple stuff, it's alot cheaper there and possibly easy to take with you (iPhone/iPod/iPad).

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

BREAKING NEWS: Man arrested after attempting to board airliner with flammable liquids. Police suspect terrorism motive. More on this shortly. :hehe:

19. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

I think you need to add tax to those numbers as they don't state it outright there - Pretty sure. Reckon it would be closer to the £350-£370 mark after tax, just a guess.

Maybe our American friends can help?

20. donok

Depends on state your in. Some states have no sales vat and some do.

Best way to get cheap gear is to go there and setup a rig making it 2nd hand then mailing all boxes and invoices to yourself and then carrying the goods in a suitcase back.

Or do what I do and claim the vat back through a business