1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Most lopsided dl/ul ratio ever!! aka How fast is YOUR internet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stuey, 21 Oct 2008.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Allow me to doubt that very much ;)

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

[​IMG]

On O2 LLU (BE) up to 24Mb. And I live <1km from the exchange. Bah :(

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Could be worse I suppose.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My home connection is from the same ISP and similarly I am also less than one klick from the exchange. They throttle bandwidth... a lot.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2011
  5. Unicorn

[​IMG]

Doing a little network setup at the Century TV NI office in Belfast today. They have a pretty nice connection, considering they are on a shared network with several other offices in the building :) Probably a 100Mbit fiber link in, then split throught the 4 floors via Cat6a I reckon. New offices, new network :thumb:

Last edited: 27 Jul 2011
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Mines still screwing with me, peaks to 500-600 but then at the last second drops to 53 :( So annoying, I think they may have fixed the bug in the switch management :p

On the 23rd all the other tennants have to move out though, so it'll just be me, I'm hoping that'll cause it to spaz out again so I can get some more record speeds :p

7. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

[​IMG]

Not so bad. Better than with Sky where I used to live. That barely broke 0.60mb.

8. Unicorn

Well my home connection with o2 has been further throttled/traffic managed to give me less than 1Mb/s, and the upload is never over 0.6Mb/s, so they are getting a swift and stern kick out the door at the end of August (when my new home network installation is finished) and I'm going with an ISP who can guarantee that the connection won't get throttled or cut for the duration of my contract. I'd appreciate suggestions for that by the way - It's going to be used mainly as a business connection so I don't mind paying more for it than your average residential connection, I just want it to be fast and reliable. I am so sick of the Windows updates downloading onto the server in the workshop at a fixed rate of 100kbps :rolleyes: :grr:

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ironically BE* (which is technically O2) doesn't modify your connection :)

10. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Mine now is pretty bad :/ Also those showing uni's does you're uni include in its policy on internet usage of not doing speed tests? as teesside uni seem to :L

Current result -
    2.66 Mb/s Down, 0.35 MB/s up (On Plusnet)

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I don't live in halls, but at UWE they let you, just no torrents I believe...

12. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Fair enough, was reading through the pdf the other day I was linked to when I got confirmation of my accomidation in the halls.. they wont let you connect without a updated Anti virus or anti spyware and you must have the latest versions of your OS.. You have no privacy on their network (expected).. not torrents ( again expected) Then I saw "2.1.4 *No computer system shall be used to monitor network traffic, or conduct speed or bandwidth tests. Nor shall it be used to interact with any other computer unless said remote computer is offering a specific service the end user is authorised to use." and kinda laughed that you cant speed test :/

Anyway sorry for semi off topicness.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

[​IMG]

about the best it gets in the welsh mountains but that is constant speed the bloke next to me cant even get broad band lol

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

[​IMG]

Right at the US average! I've gotten anything from 4-8 Mbps down, upload speed hovers at around 1 Mbps though.

Switched ISPs recently from Comcast to AT&T. Slower speed, but the connection is rock solid so far. Don't have to reset everything a few times a week like we did before.. Much cheaper too!

15. Unicorn

I'm not sure if you meant the same thing I was referring to when you said "modify your connection" but I am talking about bandwidth throttling and poor QoS at peak times... See the articles below. In particular the last one - that's exactly what happens to me a lot of the time. When you have a ping of 90 on a connection that is totally idle, you are not getting the service you are paying for. I am on the lowest of the o2 broadband tariffs, but they introduced this throttling and reduced the quality of the connection mid contract, without notifying me that it was going to happen. The bottom line is that I can get up to and including 8 Mb/s here - I used to get that on my o2 connection, but they will no longer supply me with that quality or speed of connection so I am changing to an ISP that will... And one that won't change my contract halfway through without telling me.

o2 traffic management policies

o2 publishes trafic management info

Accused of throttling

16. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

[​IMG]

been a while since ive tested. still about the same as usual. comcast has shitty customer service but my connection has always been very reliable.

17. Unicorn

[​IMG]

This is what happens when you call and complain to o2 for a week, and are able to deny with good reason all the BS questions that they answer about your line so they don't have to admit it's their fault like "have you checked all the microfilters" or "are you sure there are no internal faults on your line".

I hope it stays that way.

18. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

[​IMG]

I'll get my coat...:rock:

19. Unicorn

You do that. :p

No fiber connection here for another 6 months :rolleyes: I'll settle for 6.5 for now - it's better than the <2 we were getting before - but as soon as it's available, I want a BT infinity business connection in here pronto.

20. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

[​IMG]
    work connection its usually faster

Tags: