1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Football Manager and the Fun of Failure

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. PandaLand

PandaLand What's a Dremel?

I wish they'd make a Hockey version of this game.

3. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

It's a few years old now but there is an Ice Hockey version of the game, unless you meant pitch hockey then this link will be no use to you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Eastside_Hockey_Manager_2007

Many nights (and days) I have succomb to the game. I am a huge Manchester United fan but like to dable in other clubs every now and again. As Spurs boss in my first season I managed to become FA Cup winners, have a solid 4th spot in the league and only just lose out to Barcelona in the Champions League final 3-2 AET.

Now how true Spurs' Champs League run will be in real life is up for debate, but if it does come anywhere close to being what I had on my game, remember you heard it hear first. Also I really enjoy signing a player, who 6 months later is being tracked by the top clubs in Europe. Makes me always think I am one step ahead of my real life counterparts.

I always wonder if I should change my career from IT to Football Management, but then I remember I can't walk away from the game for a couple of days when it all goes tits up and, like my recent Man Utd game, I lose everything in the final few weeks of the season!

4. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I'll be honest, while i agree FM 2005 is a good game it isn't the holy grail.

The golden age was Championship Manager 01/02 and the peak of that game was winning the Champions League with Falkirk and then promptly resigning.

5. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

This I agree wholeheartedly with and this great website: http://champman0102.co.uk/forum/content.php
    updates the data every year with patches so that you can play the latest season in a great champ mang game.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

agree to much detail nowadays i dont think it can be classed as a game anymore

7. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

MATE! You have just given me a link to something i have merely dreamed of.

I am now saying goodbye to the next month of my life.

8. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Gald to have been of assistance, I remember the day I stumbled across it, I was giddy for days. I do love how speedy 01/02 is. Can rip through a season in less than a day.

Also check out the forums on that website. The community is great with people telling their managing stories and there are challenges and what not which add a new layer of fun to the game!

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I've got the bug again, the only downside to patching will be that i can't sign Jonas Lunden, Mark Kerr, Keigan Parker and Kim Kallstrom!

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

Ahhh Kim Kallstrom....he was awesome at every club I bought him ;)

11. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

i always evandro roncatto to be amazing on this but tbh it think fm'07 was the best

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

It was Torsten Gutschow and Onesimo in CM 99/00 that were my must buys for Hereford United.

I prefer CM pre CM4 to FM games, they are a lot easier to get into.

13. backdrifter

backdrifter What's a Dremel?

For fans of the simpler days of the series, the Football Manager Handheld series plays along similar lines to good old CM 01/02.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

How on earth is this even a game?! It's competitive Excel!

Gah. Football. Opiate of the masses.

15. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I still play FM2005... LOL... What a coincidence.. :D

But now I just play FM2010, can't even touch the new one because of the player's agents...

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

God, those were the days!

Back in '89 it was Bundesliga Manager for me, going to BM Professional later & in '94 it was BM Hattrick, the greatest manager game ever. Known in the UK as Football Limited I understand.
    The greatest... apart from Ice Hockey Manager from '93.

All games above were released/developed by KRON Software & Software 2000. Great times with those games... gotta find them again AND get them to run in DOS Box. ;)

17. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I can't be bothered with the Football Manager games any more. I think I've bought three out of the last four, and just cannot be bothered with them.

You spend ages doing really well, and then all of a sudden your season falls apart with no indication why. Go onto the Sports Interactive forums, and all anybody can suggest is that you study a 100 page tactical manual and begin micromanaging every nuance of the game. At which point, it's hardly a game.

For those who play it incessantly, it can become so easy, people effortlessly winning promotion season after seasons, but for those who just want to play casually, have a bit of fun, and turn their local club side into a behemoth-destroying machine full of Brazilian starlets, it's completely and utterly pointless.

I haven't truly enjoyed the series since 01/02 either... and I suspect I won't ever buy it again.

18. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Ive been playing CM 01/02 for the last 10 years. I have definitely had my monies worth from that game!

Best signings from around the 99-00-01-02 era

Steve Housham
    Kern Lyne
    Maurcio Risso
    Jonas Lunden
    Kennedy Bakircioglu
    Basically anyone swedish really!

PS: Forgot to add if anyone wants a bit of nostalgia,l CM 01-02 is actually free these days http://eidos.http.internapcdn.net/eidos_vitalstream_com/cm0102/cm0102.zip
    http://forums.championshipmanager.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=63494

The current chapman0102 patch is a bit of a hot bed of bulgarian and belgian talent!

The only downside with it now is it franky looks ridiculous in either windowed or full screen mode on my current monitor (27" Dell)

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Sacrilege! Go and wash your mouth out sir! :)

Football isn't really even a game anyway, it's more an expression of life itself: evoking a deeper and more genuine passion, joy & heartache than any other form art or theatre. It's like human chess, but where every single piece on the board moves simultaneously - a free-flowing combination of brawn and brain played out together in perfect unison. A triumph of the human spirit over the drudgery of mere existence.

Opiate of the masses indeed, good grief. You sound like a West Ham fan resigned to going down & pretending you don't care...

perplekks45 likes this.
  20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It's a bloody SIMULATION, mate!

They've never been made with casual I-can-flip-birds-into-obstacles-with-my-finger gamers in mind. (I love Angry Birds, by the way, great time killer)

That must be the most OTT yet beautiful description of football I've ever read! Have some rep for that. :thumb:

Read much Lord Dunsay much, do you? ;)

Tags: Add Tags