1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your gaming backlog

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by backdrifter, 14 Mar 2011.

1. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I have far too many games at the moment that I need to play. Via Steam and my 360. (I've given up on my Wii, it's only use is for Lego games and soon even they will move to my Xbox)

I mainly blame not having a computer powerful enough to play said games (and still buying them) and then when I did upgrade my graphics I became employed and now half live between parents and girlfriends house. I am hoping once the move is final then I can get into some proper gaming again.

2. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

I was the same, always hoarded, never traded in. However, There are some great trade-in offers to be had these days if you stay off the high-street. Just last week I had a mini clearout of stuff I don't play any more using Amazon's trade-in page.

Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360) - £12.99
    Borderlands (Xbox 360) - £6.49
    Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) - £3.49
    Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360) - £8.24
    Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360) - £5.99
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Xbox 360) - £9
    Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360) - £8.44
    Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360) - £6.20
    Fable II (Xbox 360) - £3.77
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) - £5.99
    Bioshock (Xbox 360) - £5
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) - £6.74
    Soul Calibur IV (Xbox 360) - £8.44
    Vanquish (Xbox 360) - £11.24
    James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (PS3) - £5.99

And I got just shy of £110 quid for it, including £9 for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and I paid less than 7 quid for it new :). The postage is free and they tell you beforehand how much it's all worth (go to the video games section of Amazon and click 'Trade In' in the top right). If they refuse anything it's posted back free too. That little lot of shelf-space-wasters went a third of the way toward my new TV :) Granted, the money you get is deposited as a gift card on your Amazon account, but what does Amazon not sell now?

3. logonui

logonui Minimodder

My problem is more my attantion span. I tend to buy a game because it looks awesome, play it for a while, get bored so I stop, thinking I'll return to it later, buy a new game and the cycle continues. Can't remember the last time I actually completed a game other than Portal...

4. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

Quite aside from a lack of disposable time, and increased responsibilities, I think that's a symptom a lot of us playing games for a lot of years have. The problem is that we've seen it all and played it all a hundred times before. It means the only things that keep me hooked now is excellent gameplay, good humour or a cracking story. Otherwise it's a case of FPS after FPS, RTS after RTS etc. Sure, it might get prettier, but we're still doing those same things all over again.

I suffer seriously bad nostalgia pangs for the Spectrum/C64/CPC464 (I'm all about the inclusion ;)) days when a lot of the work, when it came to presentation, had to happen in your head. There are few things as rose-tinted and joyous for me as going through the magazine scan archives on worldofspectrum and looking over old copies of Crash and Your Sinclair :)

5. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I think that is the main reason why Minecraft seems to be holding my attention, it's something that hasn't really been done on the same scale before and everything in the game comes from my imagination or those around me.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The truth is, I don’t have enough time to play all the games I buy, nowhere near in fact. However, because I buy them all on Steam, at throwaway prices, I try them all out, and the ones I like I play, and the ones I don’t, I discard.

At the moment, I am playing BFBC2 (£6.80), Empire/Napoleon Total War (£6.50), and SupCom 2 (£2.50). There are lots of games that I’ve bought that just weren’t for me, Dirt 2 (£3.75), Overlord 2 (£1.50), and Polynomial (£1). None of these games piqued my interest, so I don’t play them, and because they were so cheap, I don’t worry about it.

7. Somatic

Somatic What's a Dremel?

I have a large backlog of older games, mostly from Good Old Games sales, as well as ones I just missed altogether at release in the last 10-20 years (I'm looking at you Deus Ex and X-COM...)

Currently have a fair few installed and need completion but I'm using most of my gaming time on co-op titles. I've been holding back on the Steam sales and only going for multi-player titles for worthwhile longevity.

Thankfully, most of the newer games I'm looking forward to are not coming out for a while and there will eventually be sales on the majority of recent releases since there's no rush. :thumb:

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A related question to put forth: Does anyone have a replay backlog?

Routine replaying of favorite games can be quite important to some people, and I've got a few myself that see semi-regular replays. Namely the classics, all my favorite old RPGs of course, and even some FPS like the Half-Life series. Supreme Commander is one of the newer games that I've added to my regular replay schedule, it's just too good.

9. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

Monkey Island 1 & 2, sometimes 3. There's no schedule, sometimes I just have to play them again :)

10. backdrifter

backdrifter What's a Dremel?

Oh yes :) Blade Runner, Sega Rally (the original Saturn version, not the awful recent attempt), plus about a good dozen classic point 'n' clickers and RPG's. GoG is god awful for adding to that little lot too.

11. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Excellent thread.

Working at retail I just kept buying games so I bought and sold a bunch of classics whether or not I had finished them, such as

Freespace 2
    Deus Ex
    Half-Life
    The Hitman Range (except Contracts where you could play any mission)
    Total Annihilation
    UT99
    Far Cry - too powerful for my PC

Of that list above, only TA didn't get bought all over again.

As for Steam, I didn't go mad at sales times -

I haven't played Audiosurf, Peggle Deluxe, and the other 4 games in the Indie Pack apart from Zombie Driver. Old and New AvP are in the same position, completed the Marine campaigns, dabbled in the Pred missions, but not bothered with the Aliens to any great degree.

At £3 I bought Morrowind for the soundtrack more than the game and I've got three Cybran missions in Supreme Commander 2's campaign before that's complete.

Half-Life Source, FEAR, Deus Ex, Freedom Fighters, any CnC title from Red Alert 2 onwards, Darwinia - I start any of these games and there's always some hardware death or virus causing a reformat, then back to square one or I'm stuck wherever I've backed up the saves.

In light of Crysis 2, would be nice to shove Warhead back on this week and get back in the zone :)

12. superego

superego What's a Dremel?

Got something like 180 games on Steam. I've got arond half of them to actually play since buying them, but quite a few have been played previously ie Doom 3, Clear Sky, C&C 3 etc. I've played but not completed all of my boxed games. Bought Arkham Asylum on Steam the last time it was on offer despite owning it on PS3 - but since the PC has better textures I couldn't pass that up.

Regular replay for me included Red Alert 2, Starcraft, Grim Fandango, the Half-Life series, Star Wars Supremacy, the Jedi Knight games, Deus Ex, Birth of the Federation, Civilisation 2, Alpha Centauri, Bioshock 1 & 2, the Modern Warfare single player campaigns, the Resident Evil games, Grand Theft Auto 3 (all three episodes) and Star Trek Armada. Some of those, I have to use VirtualBox as they don't like Windows 7 x64. Oh - another one is Space Hulk 2 on the PSX. And once every other year I play through Final Fantasy VII.

In light of this thread, I'm going to pledge to start working my way through the backlog. I'll post a list of what I have to play and up-date it as I go. Recently set up a Minecraft server with friends so it will be tought not to play that, but we'll see.

One more game I have to mention for replaying is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. With the modding community so active, it feels like a different game in a good way with the amount of stuff that it added or changed from mod to mod. Currently playing through the 2009 Complete version which is just incredible!

13. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Steam Sales. Nothing else needs to be said.

14. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

and here I was worried about having like 3/4 games that i've hardly played, which i had bought cheap on steam sale

15. Srcr. Maligree

Srcr. Maligree What's a Dremel?

I have a few PC games I've never finished, and 5 Wii games to play.
    I've recently started buying GameCube games.

My PS2 got stolen, so all those games I'd completed (or nearly completed) are a clean slate again.

My PC is too old for games from the last 5 years, so when that's replaced my "backlog" will treble...

...the good news is, those games will be so old now they'll be £10-£15 each :thumb:

16. backdrifter

At last count (about a fortnight ago) I've managed to shift just under 100 games since Christmas. Not a bad figure, and my bank account is certainly appreciating it too!

Problem is, I've probably accumulated a good dozen titles during that time.

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm exactly the same. Steam I'm not too bothered about - the ones I haven't played are ones that were mega-cheap. I'll probably get round to them eventually, but if I don't it's not cost me much. Things like Beyond Good and Evil, the Penumbra series, and so on.

I do have a lot of retail games that I haven't touched as well though. The Witcher, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Just Cause 2, Mafia II...to name just a few. Dozens of titles I've either never tried or only played for an hour or so. It's irritating, there just isn't enough time in the day.

18. backdrifter

Managed to finish off a few games the last week or so, including Dragon Age: Origins + DLC, so that's another few games to sell on.

I've now found myself writing down the names of two or three titles that I'll play that week (plus FIFA 11 online) which will hopefully help get through some titles. This week it shall be Crysis 2, DiRT 2, and Yakuza 4.

Going to flog an Atari 2600, N64, Gamecube, and a sexy white Japanese Saturn over the next fortnight too. A shame to see it all go, but it'll nice to have a bit of space again/money for a new PC.

19. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

This is my current backlog

• dragon age 2 (third act)
    • Crysis 2
    • Dawn of war 2 retribution
    • Fallout New Vegas
    • Napolean Total war
    • Mafia 2
    • Just Cause 2
    • Magicka
    • Metro 2033
    • Mass effect 2 Latest DLC
    • Fable 3 DLC

Luckily I got Total war, mafia 2 and just cause 2 in the steam and won metro 2033 and the 2 DLC. Also trading in bulletstorm soon after launch meant I got Crysis 2 for free plus saints row 2 lol

Finish for easter soon so gona have a big gaming session :D

20. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

Dragon Age Awakening
    Dragon Age 2
    Just Cause 2
    Dirt 2
    C&C 4
    Assasins Creed
    AVP

Almost all em bought during steam sales (Except DA2)
    Gotta stop buyin stuff :)

Last edited: 2 Apr 2011