1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows RIFT

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 15 Mar 2011.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

I have been a long time World of Warcraft player. I am really tired of the game and would like something new. I would like to get into playing Rift but would like to hear what others have to say about it first. I have heard it is the new WoW but the graphics look a lot better(not cartoons like WoW). Is it worth giving it a try?

2. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

the graphics in rift are still a little cartoony, but not like WOW. i did like the style used in rift (the play of modern mechanical and old sorcery). personally, i found the UI and control system to be too cluttered and clumsy, which is why i didnt pursue it after beta. most BT users seem to enjoy the game, though.

3. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I'd say it's perfect for you. I was in the beta and it just seemed like an alternative to WoW to me. It plays very similar but it has some nice new features and a few twists.

I only don't play it because I have played so many MMORPG's, I am burned out with them now. But if you like WoW, you should like Rift because it's similar, just a few new twists.

4. planetary

planetary What's a Dremel?

I just hit level 50 last night and thoroughly enjoyed the levelling experience. One thing I am also really happy with is that their seems to be plenty of content at max level compared to other games at release.

If you're bored of WoW and looking to try something new I'd definitely try RIFT, go into with an open mind and see how you enjoy it. Some things are definitely very very similar to WoW but also some things are very different, just give it a try.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I think I also must be tired of MMORPGs because although Rift is executed well, I did get tired of the same old 'go here bring me this', 'go there and kill 10 of these' quests.

The Rifts are a nice addition, but they don't seem to achieve their purpose to 'unite the world together' - you just get a load of people killing as much as possible for XP.

I think that if you are still into MMORPGs then this one is done well, and you will probably enjoy it.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I think I've fallen out with MMO titles that rely heavily on quest systems, the last few games that I've been testing out have either no quests at all or very minimal things to show you a few basic things to do.

I did the RIFT series of Beta sessions but the whole thing got a little chaotic towards the last two events and it just felt like all major combat was accomplished by rushing in great numbers... I don't think it would of made the slightest difference if I joined in attacking or just stood there watching everyone else fight during the Rift chain.
    I may give it a small go again sometime in the future after the game has been out for a while and the areas for new players aren't so crowded, but for now I'll steer well clear of it.

7. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I've been enjoying Rift quite a lot, dinged 20 today, been playing it slowly and enjoying all of its features.

The rifts, invasions and full blown zone attacks are brilliant fun and very rewarding.

8. WhiteKnight226

I am getting tired of that, thats why IMO Star Wars Galaxies was the best MMO ever(back before Sony killed it). But there doesnt seem to be any game out now that is 100% player based like SWG was(till SWGEmu gets done.)

MMO's are my favorite because they are usually not solo games. You will have to play with others to complete things and that is nice. I have had my WoW account open since launch but did not really start to play it till the death of SWG. Like Obama said, it's time for a change lol.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Amen to that I was a musician in the original SWG - I even played in a band! It was a great, great game that.

Why is it they constantly change games to 'appeal to a wider audience'? Ok, Ok, I know the answer but they rip out the souls of the games when they do it. It almost brings a tear to my eyes!

10. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

The thing I enjoy the most about Rift is it's ability to cater to gamer ADD. If you get tired of playing your class type, you can easily switch to another subset of the class without having to regrind!

SWG was fun... but Planetside is the best MMO of all time :)

11. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Rift is a great game been playing since the beta, and i would reccomend it to anyone wishing to waste a few hours on a game.

12. WhiteKnight226

I grinded for jedi and got it a couple months before the "CU." I want my jedi back!

13. WhiteKnight226

To quote the comedian Lewis Black to the best of my ability "What drugs are you on that can make one sooooo delusional?"

I think not my good sir. SWG > All. Its a fact

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Amen. So glad they are working on Planetside2 (check the screens on Planetside Universe). Rift should hopefully hold me over until then :D

15. sausages

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

^ That's the ones I meant. Reminds me of Mass Effect in art direction tbh.

17. sausages

Yeah they look lovely. I'm excited about this game. The first game was ahead of it's time somewhat. I think this game could be a big deal.

18. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm enjoying rift... a lot. I've already invested a lot of hours over the last week or so. I've currently got a 15 or 16 cleric rolling with the shaman as my main soul and forgot the other 2 souls but its meant to be melee dps with some self heals / buffs. I find him very tanky but very slow at killing, only play him with my friend whos running as a bard.

My main is currently 27 or 28 marksman with the other range soul for the pet so I can solo and I believe blademaster for the damage buffs. I want to make a second class for melee dps / stealth for pvp.

Really enjoying how you can have 3 main skills to use to make money (mining, forging, blacksmithing, butchering which is skinning, leatherworking, etc.) instead of the usual 2 from wow. Also the class / soul system allows for a lot of character customization. PvP is fun though at the moment healers seem to heal through everything but I hear that levels out down the road.

19. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I <3 Rift.

20. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Anyone have a chance to join a raid group when all of a sudden there are tons of attacks and rifts open? Its damn fun running around the map with 20 people just dominating rifts and defending shards and camps from invaders. Some decent xp, get some planarite and if the big boss spawns its fun watching the melee dps get torn apart from cleave attacks and lack of heals. hahaha.

Btw, does anyone play on the Briarcliff pvp server?

Tags: