1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigadv + 6.34 + linux

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by phoenicis, 6 Mar 2011.

1. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

On a side note, what settings are you using for 4.4ghz? Mine runs really cool at 4.2, so I know I have scope for improvement. I did have it at 4.4 but was concerned about the vcore. I even had it at 4.6 but it was unstable, I didn't give it anymore than 1.4 vcore, but I'm sure it would be stable with more.

2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Cant remember the Vcore off the top of my head mate but im sure its 23x191 plus its under water, I do remember I had to give it a fair bit more Vcore from 4.2 to 4.4 to get it stable but temps are good under water so its all good. Have thought about going for 4.6 but not have time to play yet :)

3. jondi_hanluc

It didn't go well for me, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a ext 3 partition that was already on my hard drive for another Linux distro. Downloaded and used that kernel in the guide, but my time frames are around 2 mins slower than Windows :sigh:

I can see what the problem is, it's using all 12 cores but they're fluctuating up and down, many at 99.6% then dropping down to 73%, don't know why.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2011
  4. fir3x

fir3x fir3x

wicked news, i will be distributing the new core to the hive today.

5. coolamasta

Woooooop at last Linux has picked up a A5 core bigadv and I've gained 8000 PPD, the 970 went from 62,000 on Windows to 70,000 on Linux :D :rock:

[​IMG]

6. coolamasta

I seen people talking about this while I was googling Linux stuff but I have no idea whats causing it, I would re-install it following THIS LINK that phoenicis put at the top as that is what I did then configured remote access and core temp by doing my own research as I am a total Linux noob lol :thumb:

7. jondi_hanluc

I followed that guide :(
    Installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on a ext3 root and home partitions
    installed that kernel, uname -r says: 2.6.35-25-generic-ck so I have the right kernel but I'm getting 24+ tfps on a 980x@4.2

8. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I'd say it shouldn't be doing that when you seem to have done everything right, but I think you already know that. Being reasonably inept at linux I really can't think what's wrong. Something set differently in the BIOS perhaps? Is C-State enabled? Really grasping at straws.

I'm sorry to say you may want to consider hitting the big red destruct button and starting again :(

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

[post removed, posted in wrong thread]

10. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

UPDATE

Finally picked up and completed another bigadv job

This time P6901 gave TPF of 13:49, leading to PPD of 113590 (Dual Xeon X5650 at 2.66GHz (stock) on a Supermicro ATX board with 6Gb memory)

I didn't use the Linux machine for anything else, or try to connect remotely, whilst this was running.

Using this guide Connect To Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx via Remote Desktop Protocol From Windows Machines it was remarkably simple to control the Linux machine headless, with two little drawbacks - there is a slight increase in TPF, and the machines don't always reconnect if one has been rebooted. But with HFM.NET on the Windows machine displaying progress on the Linux, then most of the time remote access isn't needed.

And the machine seems to be quieter than when I run Windows and I'm hoping this means it's using less electricity.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2011
  11. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I must say the lack of bigadv work is really disheartening. Any potential points gains are actually losses in reality with the current supply situation. Will stick with it for the time being.

12. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Thanks Christopher, a useful guide :thumb: Seems to work in a similar fashion to VNC but allows you to log into the GUI even after switching to command line. Whilst playing with this I came across a bit of a bonus on the 4 GHz 980X. If I ran the folding client from the command line interface (Ctrl+Alt+F1) the tpf on a 6901 dropped from 19 mins 42 secs to 19 mins 16 secs giving another couple of k boost to the ppd :)

The same trick didn't work on the SR-2s which seem to have all kinds of pcie errors visible when viewing the command interface.

It's really frustrating isn't it. I got plenty yesterday but none today. Sure hope more linux bigadv projects are released soon.

13. jondi_hanluc

OK, bit of news, I still haven't sorted it even after 4 reinstalls, I've tried quite a few things including text mode only, no X, still no joy. Last night I picked up a p6901 and got the same lousy time frames, over 24 mins on the 980x@4.2 .However, I also have a 970@4Ghx, I installed Ubuntu on that, moved the work folder over from the 980x and started to get tps of 20 mins dead, I've no idea why it doesn't work well on the 980, it's faster than the 970 on windows, but anyway at least I've got one Linux rig working OK.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2011
  14. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Hope to try Linux on my 2600K rig if I have time to build it this week.

I've no idea if Ubuntu 10.10 will work with the new P67 B3 chipset though :eeek:

15. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

I haven't seen a big wu in almost 2 weeks now, I've only been getting the normals for some reason.. someone needs to share :)

16. jondi_hanluc

Is this on Windows? if so you need to upgrade to the v6.34 client as that's the only one that gives out bigadvs.

17. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

I posted over in the folding forums about the fact the other projects weren't being assigned to Linux and then later this afternoon after Kasson posted I started getting other projects on my Linux machines, he didn't say he altered anything so might just be coincidence but at least they are crunching bigadv again :rock:

One picked up the dreaded 2684 though :sigh:

18. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I lost patience yesterday & booted into Win 7. Recieved a 2692 straight away & I've got the GTX 260 crunching non-Fermi GPU3 units. Keep me posted if the bigadv's start rolling in on Linux, hoping switch back soon.

19. jondi_hanluc

I fired up the Linux client this morning after using the windows one, got a normal WU first off, but then a p6901, I assumed General Confusion was using the older windows client with having a 2 week drought.

20. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

Yes (win7) and yes, I had been getting bigadv units for quite some time. Just havent see one in the last couple weeks on either machine running them. Both systems seen to be running fine as well..

Guess I could reboot both systems when I get home and see if anything changes..