1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homefront - mixed reviews

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Nikols, 15 Mar 2011.

1. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Was looking around the web at the US reviews for homefront and it really seems to have divided the media. A few reviews are giving it 2-3 out of 5 while others are giving it 8-9 out of 10. Not too often you see that kind of diversity. Hope it's actually a good game and not a case of a few patriotic reviewers giving it a higher score because of the subject matter.... I need something new to play and had pinned my hopes on this seeing as crysis 2 is shaping up to be a cartoon

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

What worried me was the publishers own description of the game from the Amazon website...

"a gripping story from the pen of John Milius is told through immersive, interactive 1st person cut scenes"

I didn't like the sound of that.

3. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

I've read a few reviewers sites giving it a poor review merely because of the SP however i feel people are missing the point. This for me anyway, is merely a MP game. The SP is a bonus and is there to help you get used to the way the game runs.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

A lot of dire games about at the moment, DA2, crysis 2 and this, avoid avoid avoid :p

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

SP is only 5 hours apparently (according to PSM3 magazine anyway). I was going to at least think about buying it, but now I am not!

6. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Thank you Steam sale - however long we have to wait.

October likes this.
  7. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i think the best way to describe this game is that it's like Medal of Honour except it does what MOH tried to do better.

8. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Wow THQ shares dropped 25% as a result of poor homefront reviews. Lucky I dont have THQ shares but I do have a hankering to play something new and entertaining... Guess I'll have to hope deus ex lives up to the hype otherwise it's a long wait till BC3.... What's happened to video games.? When I was a whipper all games lived up to the hype... Grumble

9. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Not even.... beat it in 3 on normal without even trying very hard (dying/restarting levels multiple times for achievements...)

I am extremely disappointed in the game, Based on the pre-release hype (which I am kicking myself for buying into :wallbash:) the game was supposed to be a great story, based off of a reasonably innovative premise.... It ended up being a story I could have come up with during my morning ****.... I bought the game for it's singleplayer, and all I can say is that there had BETTER be a giant free DLC pack, because really game is not worth $10, let alone $50, even with the free Metro 2033 I got for pre-ordering.

I haven't gotten the chance to experience the multiplayer yet, but from what I've heard from other people, snipers are incredibly overpowered, and they are having some server issues that won't let people connect.

:waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::waah::waah::waah::waah::miffed: :miffed::miffed::miffed:

10. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Come back when you have and let us know what you think.

The multiplayer is where the game is from everything I know about it, I think I even read somewhere the devs say the singleplayer is just to get used to how the game plays, weapons work etc. The real game is in the MP.

I've been considering getting homefront, I need another game where I can get a chopper and mow people down. But with Shogun 2, Crysis 2, AC:Brotherhood and Portal all pre-ordered I figured I should wait a while :p

I think the reason for the mixed reviews from what I've seen, the low reviews they only played the SP, the higher reviews they included MP in the score.

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

This is fine, but they should really start advertising games as MP with 'short single player training mode'. A lot of people will buy this game for the SP and it looks like they will be disappointed.

I have not seen a helicopter in Shogun 2 or AC:Brotherhood ;-) Although there is a tank in AC:Brotherhood!

12. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I was looking forward to this game but feeling a bit put off by reviews and no eyefinity support

13. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i would say that the multiplayer is quite solid except for the fact that it costs too much. $10 or $15 sounds like the right price for this. However, when the price does get that low, i wonder if the community will still be there.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

This is where I wish publishers would give us the chance to pay for the bits we want to play. I'd love the single player but I won't touch the multi player. Not paying top dollar for that.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I read the same....in which case the game was marketed on all the wrong points.

16. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Common publishers marketing department not understanding developers product then.

I thought it should be more marketed as a BFBC2 competitor from what I saw of the game.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Now if they'd said that then I would be interested in Single and Multiplayer elements.

18. Nowell @ CCL

You can't please everyone I suppose. If they had created the game with 10+ hours on SP but only a very small re-playability for MP you would all be winging at that expense too!

19. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Not if they had used the same advertising they did..... From pretty much everything I saw leading up to release, SP was the focus, when it ended up being essentially an afterthought. If they had promoted it as a short SP campaign to get you used to the game, and then a large MP portion, I personally would not have purchased it at all, let alone on release date....

20. Nowell @ CCL

I suppose everyone takes their own opinions on what they see but from what i saw & by background information on KAOS Studies (Desert Combat, Frontlines anyone) i was pretty confident this game was primarily going to be MP based and may offer a short SP to help the 'getting to know of things' before you dive into an MP game.