1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox 4 shipping on 22nd March

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 18 Mar 2011.

1. FDAD

FDAD What's a Dremel?

It asked me to update to another beta yesterday...

2. DocWolfe

DocWolfe What's a Dremel?

rc2 came out today. I've been using the ff4 betas for at least 4 months now... never had a crash. I like the new look to be honest... the menu bar is an outdated concept to be honest... and I'm happy it's gone.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

You can select to leave stuff on-screen with the new version aswell. Simply choose View > Menu Bar, or whatever else you want to remain on screen. Voila! :)

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

really like the option on hiding stuff on a minimalistic view, id say there would be a 50/50 audience that likes it and doesnt like it, its not a fad, its just the beauty of human nature, nobody thinks alike :)

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Except that it's rarely an 'option' and that's the problem. It's great to be able to apply subjective taste to interface design and break from established moulds and insitutions, but only if there's an option to go back.

And when Firefox suddenly decides to start mimicing Chrome's interface layout with its first major release after Chrome's rise to popularity I think I can safely call it chasing a 'fad'.

If Firefox 4 doesn't have an option or addon to switch back to the classic browser interface style with the menu (as indicated by Ph4lanx) and tabs in their usual positions I won't be using it, simple as that.
    Can anyone who has used the beta clarify whether the option exists to return to the 3.x layout or not? Googling for it returns lot of non-answers.

6. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Tabs are in a totaly uslesess position when using a VMware copy of Windows 7.
    I know its really picky but it stops me using my browser in full screen mode : (

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Right-click and put them at the proper bottom position.

MrJay likes this.
  8. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Huuuur Duuuuur!

I cant beleave i didnt try that.

+ Rep

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Just installed it and thankfully my concerns were unfounded. Tabs and menu bar restored to their rightful positions, so I'm happy; despite my earlier ranting. :)

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep. It just needs more time to make it work properly.

In Windows XP:
    [​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags