1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project BMW Mpower Level 10 - update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rchiileea, 17 Oct 2010.

1. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Thanks, should see what the etching looks like now, Ill upload another picture when i get home..

2. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Back again with some more pictures of etching progress, as mentioned the window etch is going to be the opposite of the rear etch.

Here is the picture that we are working from

[​IMG]

This had to be flipped for the etching so that when the acrylic is etched it will be on the inside

[​IMG]

As you can see its now backwards, but it will be the right way round once done, anyway here is the progress so far

[​IMG]

And if we flip it we are left with this so far

[​IMG]
    Click here to see larger version of this

Stay tuned for more updates guys, will post more as more gets done

3. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Just back with another etching update...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click here to see large version

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Very nice etching, cant wait to see more of that!

5. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

I only do the outline tbh, Misses is the artist and she learned how to do Pointillism
    (shading using 100s of dots) at art college. I too can not wait for it to be finished :)

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011
  6. TheGame

TheGame What's a Dremel?

Hi rchiileea! First off, your level 10 looks amazing! Very nice work. I have a Thermaltake level 10 as well but it is not modded at this time. I was wondering if you could tell me how you put the plexiglass on in post #6. I have never done this before and searched the net on how to do it, but I haven't found anything on how to do this on the Level 10. Can you tell me what materials and tools I need as well as the dimensions of the plexiglass for each of the pieces? I know it's asking a lot but your help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Mod with applying plexiglass windows so any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you and best wishes.

7. TheGame

TheGame What's a Dremel?

Hi rchiileea! First off, you mods on the Level 10 are absolutely amazing! Awesome work! I was wondering if you would be willing to help me out a little bit with a question about the plexiglass windows you have in post number 6. I have never installed a plexiglass window but would like to on my level 10 exactly like yours is in post #6 (On the PSU/MB side panel). Can you tell me how to do this? I am sorry I am new at this and have no idea what materials I need or how to go about doing it. Can you tell me what sizes for the plexiglass I need for the windows you have on yours in post #6 and what tools/materials I need to mod it? I know it's asking a lot but I have searched the net and haven't found any tutorials on how to do this on a level 10 case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you rchiileea!

P.S. I'm sorry everyone for the double post, it was an accident.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2011
  8. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Hi there TheGame, First off don’t apologise for asking for help, that is what modding community is for and it makes you join one to get help that’s a Bonus so welcome to bit-tech modding community.

First off, the top window is the easy one (i wish i would of taken pics of that part but I did not so i am sorry... but ill try to explain.

First of you need to open the case, behind the top metal plate you will find there are a few screws behind that section, first off you want to undo the 4 central ones, when you’re doing that hold the centre section on the outside as once un done it will just drop off. once this is removed, you will be left with a black plate in place with hex pattern, this is held on by 4 screws as well above and below. remove them and the other 2 in between them.

take out the hex plate, place it on plexi or acrylic and draw around it.

then draw new lines like in picture here

[​IMG]

the lines that are arrowed are the new lines (about 7mm to a cm outside the long sides and 2 - 3mm inside the shorter sides were the screws are) Then cut this out of the acrylic using either a coping saw or a dremel or a jigsaw (if it is a jigsaw make sure you have the finest blade you can find and put the acrylic onto some wood you don’t mind cutting and clamp it down).

then once you have cut that, drill the 4 holes marked out like in picture.

then take the screws off to your local diy and find ones a few mm longer, then just peel off the painters masking tape and screw it in, nice and flush...

as for the bottom window, it’s just a case of removing the outer plate via 4 screws and drawing around that then cutting again, you use the screw holes to mark position for that, although mine is not going to be flush like top windows so ill add more pictures of that process when i get to it.

9. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Well the etch was finally finished yesterday, so I thought I would add the pictures of the final work and how it looks, I think it has turned out great.

Here is a shot of the panel etch side up.

[​IMG]

And of course turned the right way

[​IMG]

Click here for larger version of this picture

Slowly this is coming together nicely, some other bits arrived today as well from BitFenix, Ill try to get some photos done today of what came and post some more tonight.

10. TheGame

TheGame What's a Dremel?

Heya rchiileea! Thank you so very much for your help and guidance. I was able to install clear plexiglass windows over the bottom window of the side panel and the top. This is my first mod ever and it's all thanks to your help.

I am thinking of installing plexiglass to the optical disk drive compartment and PSU compartment. I also think I am going to tint the glass red by applying thin red color gel film on the inside of the plexiglass to make it transparent red.

Do you have any suggestions on anything else I could do with the windows as far as, say, borders, or anything that may be easy to mod on the level 10 for a beginner like me? I am just starting out so maybe some suggestions on simple mods that I could do.

Again, I thank you so much for your help rchiileea and I am very pleased with the results. Your detailed information and pictures on how to make the cuts were absolutely perfect.

I've attached a couple pics to let you see the results. (Remember I am just starting out so it's nothing amazing, just clear plexiglass right now)

Thank you again and I certainly welcome any further advice to go from here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

I would go with black tint film tbh on them windows put some red tube lights in there tbh, as for the PSU and CD rom section you can Just unscrew the outer plates from the inside and use them to draw around to make them acrylic.

remember to mark the holes as well so you can screw it back in.

I got some BitFenix cables as well will post some shots tomorrow.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

That's a very nice finished etch! I love the red.

13. TheGame

TheGame What's a Dremel?

Thank you rchiileea for the great ideas and thank you for all your help. I am not going to post any more in this thread unless it is to comment on your project because it is your thread. Is there anyway I can get in touch with you? I am not able to private message yet because I am too new of a member.

Perhaps I can start my own thread about it and if you see it you can reply.

Again thank you for all the tips and advice, and your Level 10 project mod is simply amazing!

14. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

go ahead ill find it

why thank you..

Well here is the little update about the cables I got for this, I wanted NZXT ones in the beginning, but after seeing the range BitFenix Alchemy cables I decided to go down that route. I have to say a big thanks to BitFenix for supplying these for the mod via Caseking.

[​IMG]

Chose white for all the main power cables and extenders, but chose silver blue and red for the USB extension cables and the sata cables. Let us take a look at them

[​IMG]

I was really surprised with these having seen some pre braided cables in the past, the braiding was really tight as you can see from this shot.

[​IMG]

So I Tried a rough setup just to see how the cables looked and here was the end result,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the cables I was able to colour code the usb cables and the sata cables to match the BMW Mpower logo, which tie in with the mod perfectly.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

WOW, that's a beauty, the cable colours are awesome! I just CAN'T understand why you've gone with a small watercooling loop, no offence, but I think it ruins the look. It just shows over everything! I would've gone with a H50.

Nice one anyway mate! :)

16. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

to keep the loop on the mobo tray and 2 rads are better than one

17. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Back again with another little update for you all, Still waiting on a few bits and bobs to turn up to get on the home stretch, but here is what I done yesterday.

[​IMG]

I took the main etch, and the original lower outer plate so I could line up the holes properly, after doing this I repeated the process on the tinted screen as well. After that I just through 4 m3 bolts (lol no pun intended) through both sheets and added a temp nut to hold them together and checked it all line up ok..

[​IMG]

As you can see it holds them together, I am waiting on 12 black half nuts to turn up, Ill use the same image to explain why.

[​IMG]

I will replace the 4 crappy silver nuts holding the 2 sheets tight together (A) I will then add another nut on all 4 screws (B) to insure that the window still fits away from the case like original panel, I will then used either white tubing or black that fits tight over the nuts to cover this section, then one more nut on each of the bolts on inside of the case to hold it all tight.

Anyway why this is in place to show you what my plans are, I thought I would take a couple of shots of what it looks like.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far so good, Just hope the nuts get here next week, plus lighting and a few small pieces, Oops nearly forgot, this is a sneak preview of something I plan to do to tie in with the mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will of course add some more as soon as bits arrive and I get more done, I just wish I could get a heli and track em down myself tbh, I have been lacking in any sort of gaming lately and I am keen to get back to it.

18. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Back again with another small update for you, after hunting around the web a plenty a found it really hard to find a specific place to buy the right nuts, or bolts in colour, I truly found that 100% of places that stock coloured nuts and bolts just don’t do them in the size us modders want. Then I found GWR fasteners. These guys are based in the UK, you can check out their website

After sending an email to the owner he responded with

"we can supply any bolt or nut or screw in a colour as we have just got a colour machine in, which means we can colour any stainless steel fastener”

So they sent over some black ones to start

[​IMG][​IMG]

They offer international shipping as well for those that are interested, at the moment they only have Blue and Black colouring in, but they have gold, red and green I believe on route so they can offer a wide range of bolts.

I normally don’t link to much in a mod log, but after the trouble I had finding the exact size bolts and nuts I want and colour I thought supplying the link for you would aid you guys as I know how hard it is to find the exact bolts you need.

Back to the mod, after the bolts arrived I had the right combo of stuff alphacool as well who sent me this.

[​IMG]

So if you remember the plan from the earlier post with this picture.

[​IMG]

Well after swapping out the bolt and adding a nut on the bolt (in area B to stop the bolt going too far in) I finally give the side window that stepped out look like the original case had and now I had the tube making it look good and match the case was easy.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually think it came out well, the only thing I am gutted about it my acrylic edge scraper I ordered won’t be coming now as they have no stock no more, eek. I have always used one to clean up my edges so now I need to find a different way.

Before I go here is a shot of the case from the side with both windows in

[​IMG]

All I am really waiting on now is a couple of sata extenders as I want the M power 3 stripe cables to stick out a bit more and how they are now is full stretch almost.

Also still waiting for the poxy lights to turn up (grrrrr ebay, double grrrr), but I shouldn’t be mad as they were coming from Japan and I know I should expect the delay.

I still feel like a Olympic hurdler that has got to the last hurdle and things seem to have just stumbled.. but if the lighting does not turn up next week, I think I’ll just order from some other place.

19. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Looks really nice! Should of used MDPC sleeving though ;)

20. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

The MDPC sleeving is nice and i have used it before, although I must say the sleeving on the sata cables I have looks like the exact same stuff... although I saw the Copper brown sleeving they have now and I might be able to finish a older project (that had to be scrapped after I ran out of leather and couldnt find a match any place.) So who knows we might see a leather TJ07 over the horizon too.