1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Scan 3XS Scorpion-X PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

We have a business relationship in the sense that they advertise with us and in the magazine, yes. However, those sides of the business (advertising and editorial) are kept separate purely to avoid the conflicts of interest. The editorial team is autonomous and trained to ensure that advertising doesn't affect the standing of the reviews they write.

We have reviewed pre-built PC before (though, as you say, not in a long time), but that's no reason not to do when the content is relevant and the samples available. You may well see more PCs like this reviewed in the future across the magazine and website.

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

That's a crazy high CPU temperature.

3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

that
    looks
    sexy
    high price but high performance....still too much for me though

4. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

You're welcome to play with my SR-2 anytime you like once i get a couple of 580's in it :thumb:

5. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

top fan is exhaust (says so in the review), bottom 5 are exhaust, psu is exhaust - only intake I can see are the side panel mesh gashes - so of course the temps are high - there's no cold air getting into the case!

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Plenty suffering from didn't-read-the-review-itis in this thread. Here goes...

The triple rad is more than up to cooling the hardware. The GPU's Delta T was fine, and the coolant temp never went above 50°C. You do not need more than a 360 to cool a single GPU and CPU, even overclocked turbo nutter ones.

They're laser cut holes. As is said in the article.

Air is exhausted out of the base of the case, and passively drawn into the case via the meshed laser cuts. The heat is getting out the case (the desk around it gets warm pretty quickly once you load it up), and as I've said, the coolant isn;t too hot, at around 50°C. It's just that the CPU voltage is set so high that's caused the super high CPU temps.

We priced the hardware inside at around £2600 if you bought it yourself from Scan, and then built the PC. That wouldn't include the paint job, the laser cutting or the two year warranty though. Considering the man hours that have to go into building a PC like this, the price is reasonable, as said in the article.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Mar 2011
  7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Jesus, these water rigs must be an absolute pain in the arse when it comes to taking stuff in and out to upgrade components....

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Its a great rig, but I wonder whether the CPU voltage is set on a per OC basis or they have a list of settings? seems like they're covering their arses with that voltage to me tbh.

Also personally, if it were me, I would save the £1000 buy what I want and then pay people to laser cut my own design rather than have SCAN 3XS Systems down the side. That to me is just tacky and screams I HAVE NO IMAGINATION.

But of course that is me, and I understand not everyone can be bothered (hence the existence of pre-overclocked rigs)

9. Tech NoOb

Tech NoOb What's a Dremel?

You are right Baz, the price is reasonable relative to the price of the components and what you are getting, but I would never drop £3,700 on a Base unit, hence it's too pricey.

2 year warranty issue wouldn't bother me either, I always have built my own PCs.

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

95 degrees? Something has to be wrong.

I'm on air and my temps never come close to that.
    I know i have a 2500K but there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Baz said it all =)

Although, I'm not a fan of the exterior design scheme... The colors are fine but the rest? I mean, there's more inspiration in other living beings. Nevertheless, great accomplishment there and to see 590 WC block right in the market, just wow. Just ask Scan to lower the voltages to your level and see what you get, maybe it can get a few more points

12. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Is it my eyes or is that Supreme HF plumbed in backwards? Looks to me like the water is travelling from the pump through the rad then into the block's outlet (nearest the edge on the Supreme). This would give the sky high temps.

13. Tech NoOb

Tech NoOb What's a Dremel?

+1 nice spot,

You can see the EK symbol on the CPU block, the left one (top) is the inlet jet plate. The DDC top reservoirs have the water pumping from the bottom so it seems you are correct!

14. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Guess I'm the combo breaker here because I really like the design on the case. Helps that I'm a Scorpio, though.

Also I would happily (if I had the money and was going for something this high-end) pay the price to have it pre set up, with 2 years warranty. I built my own PC last year, and all went okay and it works great to this day, but I really did not enjoy the process and in future will pay money to have it pre built. That's just me though and I'm sure there are others like me, but if you enjoy the process of building a PC then something like this is obviously not worth the investment.

15. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

RRRaaaaooooooooo! Still ugly, at least with the writing.

I wasn't aware a GTX590 was a single GPU.........
    Given it's two GPUs with a design not known for its low power draw and then overclocked, a better watercooling setup should have been considered.

Price seems way too high to me. You guys seem a little defensive of this Scan system...
    If I put down that much cash for this (which I wouldn't), I would be right pissed.

16. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

With a premium price tag of £3,700, no doubt you would imagine the Scan 3XS Scorpion-X PC would be packed with all the latest bells and whistles and rightly so but given that premium cost you’d presume the cooling would be perfectly adequate to slay that beast inside......hmmm

For me, the CPU bouncing off the 95°C redline would have raised enough questions to actually question the set-up but by publishing the review it would seem both Scan and Bit-Tech were happy for the critique.

Not having the benefit of the system in front of me and just going on the nice but limited pictures it would seem as already posted by Coolrunnin that the CPU block is the wrong way around which is a major yikes on a 3700 grand system, then looking a bit closer it would also seem the fill port is filling the outlet of the pump.

I’m also struggling to understand where the 5 fans (pull/push) on the rad exhausting out the bottom of the chassis are getting their fresh air from while a single 120 is exhausting out the top and fighting against the 5 exhaust fans.

It kinnda reminds me of that early MurderMod PC’s with the pump running the wrong way :duh:

17. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

good work scan -

pump goes to rad, rad goes to the outlet of the cpu block...

someone clearly didnt read the instruction manual included with the hardware.

how embarassing.

18. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

also, why does the radiator look like its second hand?

and the compression fittings have the paint stripped off? taken the mole grips to them?

could someone please point out where the pump vibration damping is?

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Look, I hate to break it to you mate, but a £1100 service charge isn't worth it for a few tweaks to the chassis, and two years of phone support. I know the kind of people investing in this type of system are probably the sort with more dollars than sense, but you can still get a pretty little case chopped up and powder coated for well under the price premium, and if you're concerned about parts failures, just set the spare quid a side to buy it if you need it. I can't see much of the hardware in that unit carrying less than a 2 year MFG warranty anyway.

When it comes down to it, like many other high end rigs, there's a significant price gap, without much of a benefit.

20. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Its nice, but too high i feel also.

Powdercoat... £40
    laser cut £40

man hours at say £50 per hour ????????

profit ££££?

hmmm cant seem to make it add up well.

But then its not likely to be built for people that use this forum though,

Tags: Add Tags