1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Evolution

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 19 Jan 2010.

1. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Thanks, but I'm far from godlike when it comes to woodworking to say the least.

I'd hardly say that your photo skills (or modding skills for that matter) are mediocre. You haven't gotten 105k+ pageviews for nothing.

2. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

its the little things the details, that make great case mods I think, your case is full of little gems, clean lines, nice subtle lighting and over all nicely done no clutter design, I really like this and how its "evolved" into a case I'd be proud to have sat on the desk.. (not under it)

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Really amazing work :D I'm really impressed. So impressed that you inspired me to scrap Obsidian 800D project and go for a custom made myself. 800D is an great case what I have seen of it during reviews and other peoples mods but if you want that extra Umph! you have to go completely custom :D

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

:blush: 100k are probably miss clicks :lol:

Thank you Blarte,
    I tried hard to incorporate a bunch of small individual focal points that catch the eye and rather than detracting attention from the overall design help the create harmony within it :hip:

Thanks Dragonite :D
    I can't really comment on working with cases as I've never done it but I can vouch for the fun you have in the process of creating your own scratch build! There is definitely something rewarding about being able to place every component exactly where you want it :)

5. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Well I have done one mod before in a Lian Li PC 71 which is my current computer however life always come in the way so I have never finished it :( Planing on maybe do a quick fix up on it so that I maybe can sell it to financing my scratch build :p Really like Lian Li cases and it's really worth the extra cost cause it's pure quality :D Though there isn't enough space to to mount a large radiator since I did the mistake to put windows on the sides and the top. Since I'm planing a crossfire or a SLI build i might need more space. The cable management properties aren't the best either since it was sold before chassis started using that :( Also I really want something that amazes on a higher level, something I can be really proud of, a work of art :D If you know what I mean :D And to be able to put things exactly where I want them is also really satisfying :D
    Haven't done something like this before though. However I have a rather unique ability to learn on the go to do things that have to do with logic and technology. Was for example top in the class in woodwork in school and always was very good with tools :p So I will learn on the fly :D Since I'm not that good with schetchup though I'm thinking of making a full size model in wood and cardboard and then just copy that into aluminium and plexi. Will start the planing and so on to start with but have allot of school that need to be done as well so will go slow at the start.
    Will copy your SSD idea but instead show of the water-cooling block on the graphics card instead since I will probably also use a "backwards" mounted motherboard like you are.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Having seen the massive woman-sized (;)) mountain of tools you've just bought, can we be expecting another project or mod soon?

:thumb:

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Learning on the go is by far the best way to learn. Before starting Evolution I had bent a little plexi and cut a hole for a fan but that was about it. The only downside to this method is that inevitably your going to make mistakes which in turn can set back the build. Planning the build out in wood and card first is a great idea! I'm sure once you have something full size to look around and play with new ideas will bloom :)
    I look forward to seeing how you get on :thumb:

PS. make sure you post you log here on BT :D

My wife read that and said..

lol, I have a few things planned for the spring/summer one of those is a new scratch build but deciding which design to follow through with is getting hard :duh:

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

He did

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Ahhh the balance of happy wife is restored :)

10. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Well learning by your mistakes is usually a good way to learn :p As long as no major injury occurs :p Have allot of school work to do next week but hopefully I can start doing the model during the weekend :D

Of course I will :p Was kind of why I created this account in the first place :D And no it's not named after a pokemon :p Just a play on my normal nick Dragon since that was already in use :( and was first when i googled it a few days ago I discovered there was a pokemon named like my nick her. Getting tired starting to rant weird stuff :rolleyes::lol:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

E22... It's coming!

:eeek::D:rock::jawdrop::rock::D:eeek: :hehe: Yep I'm looking forward to it Nate :thumb:.

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

This month Evolution was featured under the readers drives section in issue 92 of CPC :D
    Thanks Antony :D

A crudely scanned page from the article.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the kind comments and support <3

13. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Hey dude, picked up the mag today doin the shoppin.
    I ran over a disabled child because I was readin your log.
    Good times.

Seriously though, great work mate.
    Even just scanning over the pics was an easy 'read'.

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Congrats m8! :thumb:
    Truly deserved! :rock:

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks guys :D took me ages to write and then ages to re-write once my other half went over all the grammar errors lol

16. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Who's that mug leaning on a black box in the pic?

congrats ;) well played to you mate

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's actually more difficult than doing the actual mod eh recalling the why, how, hicups & finale :D, I thought they would just browse over the project log & compile what's there & condense it but it was like doing an english exam essay again lol I bet I failed hard on the grammer & maybe some spelling lol :D.

The limit of words lol I had to cut loads out to fit it all in but I did have I think 5 or more times where I said it's finished on mine during the actual project :D still, I wish I said for them to do the photography as I use a cheap kodak camera which is very difficult to get excellent photos so could have gotten much better pics really.

Anyway congrats Nate & it was a good read & view :) & looking forward to what you get up to with that stack of tools you got recently :thumb:.

18. Squirrel-666

Squirrel-666 What's a Dremel?

yea he did use rattle cans mate.
    anybody from the UK want a paintjob done just let me know and i get on to him cus as you can see he did an excellent job on nates case.
    hardcore bikers are good at spraying :D :rock:

19. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Wow i just loved this case and now there's another in the works? WOOT :rock:

Congrats on the article too :thumb: so when do we see a project log for E22???

20. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

I cant believe Ive only just seen this on here. Found it in an old issue of CPC in the bathroom and thought I'd come and check it out.

I gotta say, the CPC camera man needs sacking, his shots murdered how beautiful this looks.
    Fully gorgeous mate, well done!