1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TRON Lightcycle - MotY 3rd Place!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Feb 2011.

1. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

Wow...Just wow. This is awesome.

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Demold time! So despite the use of a mold release spray, the fairings were still reluctant to come out of the mold. So I had to persuade them a bit.

First I cut part of the outer cardboard wall away to expose the mating surface of the foam.
    [​IMG]

Then, using a hacksaw blade by itself, I worked it in underneath the parts to get them separated.
    [​IMG]

Success!
    [​IMG]

Not too shabby, but it still needs some work before they will be bike-worthy.
    [​IMG]

The underside. My integrated tabs idea didn't go over too well with the Plasti-Paste lol.
    [​IMG]

And all four parts demolded.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fairings are pretty flexible and prone to cracking (don't ask me how I know lol), so they will need to be reinforced. Smooth-On recommends a thickness of at least a 1/4" for optimum strength, but I fell short of that with these pieces. I have a solution for this though, and it will also solve the mounting problem too, since my tabs were pretty much non-existent. I will run a piece of 1/4" acrylic the whole length of the fairing underneath that will add strength, and serve as a mounting surface as well.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice work Bod :thumb: shame about the tabs though :(.

4. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Beatifull work man! After my epoxy adventure i am looking for something else to replace it.
    Plasti paste or whatever its called in the netherlands will be at the top of my list!
    will it accept all kinds of glue and paint? This case is gonna rock!

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

MMM Peanut butter.

D*mn, I'd love to play with this stuff. I could whip out a custom grill in plaster really fast...

6. Boddaker

Got the acrylic parts in today! 3 boxes worth lol. I couldn't wait to get home and dig into them. Here they all are spread out on my desk. The pieces with blue coating is the gloss black acrylic, and the ones with the tan coating are the blue transparent pieces. Looks like everything is present and accounted for.
    [​IMG]

Hmmm, should I put it all away now? Heck no! I gotta see how this all fits together! So I immediately start fitting the tubes into their wheel positions. You can also see the slots I made for the cross sections.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the cross sections in place. This piece will also hold two 120mm fans.
    [​IMG]

I slide on another rib piece...
    [​IMG]

...Oops! forgot the center rib that goes in between the other two.
    [​IMG]

This shows the cutouts for the power supply.
    [​IMG]

Why not put the psu in too!
    [​IMG]

And the other cross section in place.
    [​IMG]

Now you can see the interior enclosure taking shape.
    [​IMG]

Might as well add the rest of the pieces on this side: window piece, wheel discs of varying sizes, and the IO plate at the bottom of the center enclosure.
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up of all the layers on one side of the wheel. I got them roughly spaced where they're supposed to be, at 3/4".
    [​IMG]

So I'm gonna be pretty busy this weekend, now that I have all the parts. Can't wait to get to it. I wish I could call in sick tomorrow lol!

7. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

That is going to be one VERY sweet mod!!

Grats on the early weekend present ^^ (must feel like it's christmas all over again )

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Great, I put on a nice clean pair of jeans, then I open this thread....

Awesome Bod! :D

9. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That is looking really good, seems like your design work payed off ;)

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Nice! Makes me want to do Tron sound effects in my head.

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Just wow. Amazing on two counts - firstly, that design, and secondly, that the bits appear to fit together as planned. Unbelievable!

12. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Thats going to be sexy all lit up! :cooldude:
    Great work!

13. Boddaker

Yes it did! My kids were jealous lol. So I let them play with the bubble wrap. :thumb:

LOL always carry a spare with you whenever you read these forums. I know I do! :worried:

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked myself.

Ok, but don't let any recognizers get in there, you might get de-rezzed.

Thanks Scott. Yeah, can't wait to get the lights in.

Waynio likes this.
  14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Gotta love acrylic pr0n!!! This is going to be awesome!! :)

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

While parts being made for you doesn't impress me :hehe::p the design & the coolness really does :rock::thumb: & to be honest you just can't knock the precision of having parts done this way, saves a ton of time & you get ultra precise results allowing you to focus on the stuff you do best, I guess I just like having a mod that really keeps me busy :lol::hehe::D.

Keep it up Bod I'm very sure this mod will look super badass when complete :jawdrop::thumb:.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  16. Boddaker

Thanks Alex!

Thanks Waynio. Yes getting these parts laser cut was a huge time saver no doubt, but is just one part of this project. It will still keep me busy with many other aspects: finishing the hand-formed fairings, making custom covers, then there's watercooling, lighting, running and hiding cables, the list goes on lol.

17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

looking good, you can really se it taking shape now...Nice work:thumb:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Of course lots ahead from this base point & I'll be tuned in all the way :D & to be honest I'm amazed I've only ever seen 1 person take up your bit of innovation to water cooling with the channels you did on neptunes trident, they were the coolest thing I've ever seen with water cooling, something I love about your mods besides the awesomeness & perfection, you bring innovative touches to modding & that is pure gold :clap::thumb:, heck even your stacked layer method for making hard to make shapes I looked at & figured you're a genius & it opened a lot of possibilities for what can be done, layers = a cheaper possibility of advanced shapes in fabrication with normal tools like my diy billet wish it were pci/io piece :D, I doubt I'd have thought of doing that without seeing this layer method :hip::rock:.

Boddaker likes this.
  19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweet!
    Now for the 1,000,000 peso question: How will you trim the tubes to the size you need?

20. Boddaker

I won't need to trim them. They have already been cut to the size I need, at 12" each. ;) You see, I had already thought of the 1,000,000 peso question before I ordered them, and knew it would be a nightmare to cut the tubes so they'd be square on each end. So I had them do it. :thumb: