1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox 4 downloaded 24 million times in three days

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Well I can tell you my experience. I've been using it, since Adobe launched Flash 64-bit beta.
    I think it works very well; the only thing annoying about it is that you can't force windows to use IE9 64-bit as your default browser (it's only possible with the 32-bit version).

2. Xir

Xir Modder

FF4 update functions well, all settings are kept.
    under 1 min installation time, FF restarts itself, and presto, I was done.

Unlike IE8 (winXP only goes till8 appearently).
    No update function in IE itself, instead it redirects to a MS website.
    Installing IE8 then rebooted my system twice. :grr:
    And killed all settings and bookmarks.
    All in all, 20 minutes spent for nought...what a great experience.

About Chrome, I can't seem to find a "look for updates" function here either. Will updating chrome shoot my settings and bookmarks too?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you should have a look at toms hardware review of the latest browsers except firefox 4, as it was delayed.

Browser Review

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

All my addons worked (except one which needed an update to work, but now does) with FF4. All settings kept. Now just getting used to the different layout. Not really caring for the tabs-at-the-top thing, though. Absolutely painless process - haven't bothered with anything other than FF and a selection of addons for years...

5. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

Opera is still the best out the box for my needs. I actually still do not understand the need for add-ons for a browser.
    I also think IE 9 is fantastic. Great job once again from Microsoft (no sarcasm there, I really do think MS do a good job at a lot of things).

6. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Million of downloaded, but how many actually using it.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  7. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

FF still is the slowest web browser to start up. At least for me. Aside from fire bug, every other plugin (like 5 or 6) were turned of. What really is a let down in FF and IE is the fact that there is still a search box. I prefer chrome for that matter and it is my preffered browser.

But I may add, all three major browser have their flaws.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the search box is combined with the address bar in ie9, it isnt seperate

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Downloaded FF4 on release day and immediately found a showstopping bug (reported of course). Now I'm back on 3.0.19 (yes, I never could get into 3.5 and 3.6).

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

It is now... My bad...

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im not sure why people demand single bar.

Firefox 3 to 3.6 was perfect:
    -search bar for search
    -awesome bar for jump straight to the webpage

with chrome, type in the bar digg, takes you to google search of digg. type in "wiki computer" takes you to google search of terms wiki and computer simply stupid and dumb. BUT with firefox 3 to 3.6, both terms takes you straight to the correct page with information. it was awesome.

and FF4 have dumbed down for the mass. it has made awesome bar not awesome by making it do search :(

but i've found this: to restore its former gloary:
    http://farmdev.com/thoughts/93/what...ing-lucky-search-in-firefox-4-s-awesome-bar-/
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/795446#answer-152292
    Code:
    There's a second step that no one has mentioned and that these links don't make clear.

1.    Enter about:config in your address bar.
    2.    There will be a message saying, "This might void your warranty!" Click "I'll be careful, I promise!"
    3.    Find keyword.enabled, either by scrolling down or by typing into the Filter: box. If Value is set to true, do 
    nothing. If it is set to false, double click it to change it to true.
    4.    Then, find keyword.URL. Double click it to modify the value, and enter 
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=
    into the box (ignore the link--just copy & paste the whole string). 

These instructions set Google's Browse by Name, which was the default in Firefox 3. It behaves exactly as it did in 
    Firefox 3--if your terms match a result well, it sends you straight there; otherwise, you go to the Google search 
    page.

Alternatively, if you do want to use a straight I'm Feeling Lucky search, then use 
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&btnI=&q= instead.  

12. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

you do know you can hide the searchbox in FF ?

you can also use keywords for different search engines, for example when i want to google something i just type "g pictures of boobs" and press enter, same thing for youtube, imdb, discogs, amazon, ebay, etc.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches

13. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

What really burns me about all the gushing reviews of FF4 & IE9 since they launched is that what is so amazing and new about them isn't. Virtually every new feature that's so amazing are things Opera has been doing since at least version 11, and earlier in some cases. Thanks to it's ~2.5% marketshare, it isn't the only browser I use, since there aren't many devs that have enough Opera users to make sure it works correctly (outside of Russia and Nigeria, apparently.) So there are some sites that don't play nice in Opera that can't be tricked into working by identifying or masking as IE or FF, but for the most part, it's better than IE or FF, imo. At the very least, it's easy to see where the IE & FF devs seem draw a lot of inspiration.

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Have been using the nightlies since they first appeared, no crashes so far, unlike what I can say for Opera's stable builds...

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Firefox has had that feature for quite some years now (since at least 2005-2006). The Search bar was totally un-needed in Firefoxs UI. Gladly it was\is weasily removed.
    The address bar\awesome bar also perfomed searches in Firefox. If the google result was sufficiently consistent it would jump straight for the site (I Feel Lucky behaviour), if the result was ambiguous, it would open a google page with search results.
    The single bar solution was used because the search bar was totally redundant.
    That workaround merely makes Firefox 4 behave the same way Firefox has behaved for some quite time now.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

no, search bar is not redundant. it allows to decide where to go. use search bar for search, use awesome bar for going straight to a destination.

basically, there is no other browser with address bar that behaves similar to FF's awesome bar. no other browser when type "trailer king's speech" goes straight to a trailer of king's speech. all other browser just takes you to a search page.

the workaround restores that great feature. does it not seem logical to type and be looking at the content you are thinking? instead of going through a search page? there is a search bar for searching.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yes. Surprisingly Mozilla removed that feature from Firefox 4.
    For complete search results always used a google page, usually because I wanted to filter images, news or videos. For simpler searches the address bar "I feel lucky" behaviour was adequate.

18. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Personally i prefer the tabs above, little extra screen room available i guess aswell!

19. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

IE9 all the way, don't want or need FF

20. sWW

sWW Minimodder

is this a troll comment? if not i am somewhat confused!

Tags: Add Tags